They have done a really good job with setting up Huvafen Fushi - they clearly threw a ton of money at the place, with high end furniture, fittings etc. We stayed in a lagoon villa, which was superbly designed. Much less of the clutter that one normally finds - free wifi (resorts mostly don't understand that when you pay these prices, wifi should be free, duh!) - 130 sq m of space in total. Large bedroom, huge deck, but absolutely critical to be on the side of the island where the wind blows. The great drawback of water villas is that they can be really really hot, which is why I normally go if I can for beach bungalows, as trees and shade are your friends.... Huge comfortable bed, large bathtub sitting in the window of the bathroom, and private infinity plunge pool.
Food, generally speaking, was very good. Advise you look carefully at B&B vs Half Board offers. Dinner in the Half board restaurant Celsius normally will come to around $70 to $100 per person without drinks, for three courses. The food was quite good - definitely above the average found in the Maldives. Food in Raw restaurant and Salt restaurant was SUPERB. Easily the best in the Maldives. It shows it can be done, and embarrasses other resorts who charge similarly high prices for food lacking in flavour.
Raw is normally open only for lunch, and is beautifully situated, with a breeze through the restaurant removing the need for fans. I am normally a big skeptic of this kind of cooking, which is very processing heavy in order to get the taste and texture needed, but this really blew me away. Amazing light tom yum soup made with a 'broth' of coconut water. Ceviche with tamarind I think?
Salt was even better. We had the tasting menu of seven courses for $120 a head. Good value, and comparable in quality to NY and London. Flavours perfectly constructed and balanced. They came at good speed, just right really. Largely sea food based, but not exclusively.
Other facilities were also great - a very cosy bar area, and an excellent infinity pool looking out over the island. I never got a sense of being crowded, even though it is a very small island and quite heavily built up.
The drawback? Service was mixed. In Celsius in the evening, it was really poor. Wait staff milling around out of ear shot and eye contact range. It just took a long time to get served, and to get a waiter's attention for water, wine, menus etc. The butler concept? Meh.... But this is a personal view, as some love having butlers. I do object to being called in the morning to ask if I was going to breakfast - if I want to sleep in, that's my business! The butler was on the other hand helpful in dealing with a couple of issues. And waiter service in Salt and Raw was immaculate.
They are going to do a two and a half month renovation from mid May I believe, which will be good to freshen the place up a bit. Some things are looking a little tired (but really, not too bad), but afterwards, I think management will be absolutely sure of its place in Maldives top ten... Just please work on the service a little!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Float at infinity's edge. Descend stairs for underground wine. Come out of your shell in the depths of an underwater spa room - the first and only in the world - where colour fish glide past the floor-to-ceiling-windows that reveal the beauty of the reef. Huvafen Fushi, a multi-award winning island resort located only 35 minutes by speedboat from Male, offers 44 naturally modern bungalows and the luxury of 'suites at sea,' traditional Maldivian sailboats fitted out with modern indulgences and the chance to escape and relax in a secluded island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ctrip TA and Agoda so you can book your Huvafen Fushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Huvafen Fushi Island
- Huvafen Fushi Male
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Male
- Huvafen Fushi Huvafen Fushi Island, Maldives