We had been to the W in Maldives, see my review Jan 2011 and were tempted to go there again as it was so good. But we thought that we would try somewhere new so apologies for making comparisons in this review but its only natural.
The immediate plus for HF was that we were taken there by speedboat, 35 minutes, which was far better than the seaplane experience to the W. Sadly on arrival the greeting at the jetty was poor, very disorganised, not addressed by name. Offered a cold towel, nice, but not taken from us when used, odd. Not pretty on arrival, very drab looking. Our Butler, who we only saw on 2 or 3 occasions subsequently, took us by buggy to our room.
The room was fantastic. We took an Ocean Villa and were very pleased to have done so, number 39, perfect for peace and total privacy. Huge space, with separate lounge, bedroom and bathroom, all with doors to access the 2 sundecks and pool overlooking the ocean. Very special.
The resort is a little tired on the outside and beaches not great, very fragmented, unlike the W, where you could easily walk the beach around the island without interruption. That aside, you are in a very special location.
The service really lets this place down, not enough staff and those in situ are clearly not adequately trained. We experienced a number of problems with simple requests and in one case, we left the restuarant Salt as the service was beyond bad. We complained to the Management, who seemed a little concerned, with a small 'l'. We were offered a complimentary dinner at Celcius, which at 9:30 we took and it was fine. We were told that the matter would be looked into and that we would be contacted the following day. This never happened and is a sad reflection of how the place is managed. Too much of a relaxed attitude. This did damage our impression of HF but we put it behind us and enjoyed the rest of the holiday.
UMBar is great, go there. Lovely ambience, comfy chairs and daybeds, entertainment, music. A very cool place, better than the W for this part.
Celcius restaurant was excellent, overlooking the sea, great food not perfect service but they try hard. You can take breakfast here and the great thing about HF is that they have a themed dinner each evening, which makes for interesting dining. The food is excellent, especially the currys.
As said, we had a bad experience at Salt so cannot comment as we did not get past the water and as a consequence did not try Raw.
Don't bother with the Spa. No atmosphere and grubby. The changing rooms are a small and dark with one toilet, shower and sink. Lockers that do not lock.
The pool is great, huge, nice temperature, overlooking the ocean. Very limited poolside service. Including you have to lay your own towels, now that is not 5 star.
They say 'never go back to the same place twice' and whilst very tempted to do so with the W, we are glad to have come here instead, a different and nice experience. The Ocean Villa is perfect and the evenings were also enjoyable.
Not in our mind 5 star as needs some more finesse, such a s the turn-down. If you like biscuits you will be fine. Needs better management, who seem to appear only at night.... at the bar.
If you go there, book the half-board package and take advantage of the great food.
Hopefully the service will improve to make your experience more enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Float at infinity's edge. Descend stairs for underground wine. Come out of your shell in the depths of an underwater spa room - the first and only in the world - where colour fish glide past the floor-to-ceiling-windows that reveal the beauty of the reef. Huvafen Fushi, a multi-award winning island resort located only 35 minutes by speedboat from Male, offers 44 naturally modern bungalows and the luxury of 'suites at sea,' traditional Maldivian sailboats fitted out with modern indulgences and the chance to escape and relax in a secluded island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelQuickly, Agoda, Booking.com and Ctrip TA so you can book your Huvafen Fushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Huvafen Fushi Island
- Huvafen Fushi Male
- Huvafen Fushi Hotel Male
- Huvafen Fushi Huvafen Fushi Island, Maldives