All reviewsfree wifitwo bedroom suitetaronga zoobit datedcomfortable staybuffet breakfastbusiness districttrain stationa harbour view roomluna parkpublic transportharbour bridgepackageroomyovalcafes
Reviewed 13 January 2018

I stay here often for work- this would be my 10+ visit- and if I had any choice in the matter, I'd never set foot in here again. Each time I visit, the hotel has been paired back further, fallen much more into disrepair. I actually cannot believe it is still part of the Rydges chain. It's much more of a standard of a 3 star budget hotel.
This visit the issues I encountered were: broken air con, the Foxtel channels don't work ( when I spoke to staff about this, apparently they don't work in any room- but they still claim to have it), broken lights and the fridge was a cupboard as there was not even the slightest coolness to it.
That's not to mention the disgusting run down nature of the room. I had a executive harbourview- with a tiny glimpse of the harbour. The bathroom is so worn out, cracked tile, shower curtain. The bed is absolutely not a Rydges style bed, it is lumpy and so worn. The room furniture is so old the dirt is ingrained.
Plus much construction surrounding so be aware if you have a room on the west side.
There is little to nothing to redeem this hotel these days, and the staff clearly know that and it's reflected in their level of care when issues are brought to their attention

Room Tip: Harbour side room to avoid construction noise
Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
RydgesNorthSydney, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Dear TangimG,

We are disappointed to hear about your experience with the facilities inside the room and your overall experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback with us. All feedback is valuable to us and gives us the opportunity to review our current procedures and facilities.

I have personally addressed and shared your feedback with our Management team, who also join me in expressing their sincerest apologies for a less than satisfactory experience.

I am unfortunately unable to trace your TripAdvisor name to a booking at the hotel, however If you could please contact the hotel directly as I would like the opportunity to further discuss your feedback.

Thank you TangimG, and I hope I will have the opportunity to not only speak with you but to welcome you back in the future for a much more pleasant stay.

Kind Regards
Heather Zigori - Front Office Manager

Reviewed 11 January 2018

This is the second time we have stayed here. The place has imposing architecture but lacks attention to detail. However, it is close to the Mater Hospital for interstate patients. Of the Rydges hotels we have stayed at, this is bottom of the pile. The restaurant does nothing for the place.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neville B
RydgesNorthSydney, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear Neville B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Rydges North Sydney and for providing us with feedback from your recent stay. Feedback such is yours is valuable to us and it gives us the opportunity to review and make improvements were necessary.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

The North Sydney Rydges was like stepping back in time, but in a good way. The friendly welcome from the reception staff was lovely and after a hot drive the air-conditioned foyer was a relief. The staff helped us with our choice of good safe northern beach to cool off at (Balmoral). The location is excellent and just a short walk to restaurants and pubs for bistro meals. We had the family suite with balcony and view of the city. There was a main bedroom and a very large lounge area with a sofa bed set up. There was a very large bench area, with a larger than usual size fridge with a freezer. The bathroom had a shower over the bath, which was handy for kids. The view over the harbour and to the city was AMAZING. We had our 'Happy Hour' watching the cruise ships leaving the harbour and the yachts on the water. It was so refreshing to be able to breath the fresh air on the balcony. Admittedly the property is older and needs some updates, such as the chairs were pretty sad and tired, the mattress was also saggy. However, the property was spotless and the staff were helpful and cheerful. We requested extra pillows and blankets and they were delivered within minutes. We took advantage of the free buffet breakfast in the morning and whilst it was fairly crowded it was abundant with plenty of choices: fruit, yoghurt, cereals, pancakes, eggs and bacon etc. The coffee was $4.00 (for a cappuccino and was delicious) There is parking on the site. Public transport: trains and buses are very close which will take you into the City or anywhere you want to go. I would recommend this property for families as it is accessible and affordable, which is unusual in Sydney. As long as you don't expect a 5 star property, this place is definitely worth considering and we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Dear gr0nk,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We are so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay with us and that our staff looked after you and assisted when required.

Thank you for choosing The Rydges North Sydney and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday night in the 2 bedroom family suit.

We have stayed many times at Rydges at SYDNEY AIRPORT, both before and after, overseas trips, and can never fault it.

We were only coming down from the Central Coast, for the weekend in Sydney and were unable to get into Rydges at the airport or our preferred accomodation of The Harbourview at North Sydney, and as we love Rydges, we decided to stay here.

Firstly it was VERY hard to get onto them at reception, for booking our accomodation. We were on hold for an unacceptable amount of time.

# it was difficult to find (even with GPS), as signage was appalling, and VERY bushy at the Entrance.

# at the time of booking, and again at check-in we requested extra towels for the next day. We asked again after going out for dinner. Then rang before going to bed. They were eventually delivered.

# the room was really run down and in need of a GOOD clean and dust.
The carpet felt damp (perhaps it had been cleaned).
The shower door could not be closed.

# many of the filthy marks in the bathroom, could be cleaned off (I tried and they do come off). Eg. power points and tiles behind the vanity and below the bath.
BUT this is not my job. The cleaners are not doing their job properly.

# the beds were VERY comfortable, the linen fresh & clean.

# air conditioner to the bedrooms was barely cool on 17’.

# we were looking forward to breakfast, as we have had it at Rydges at the airport many times.
North Sydney’s breakfast was crap.
The bacon was SO greasy and the temperature of it AND the eggs were barely warm. AND I would suggest, would be a food safety breach.

# Juice and milk were nice and cold. Pancakes were delicious. Cereal was fresh.

# The kitchen was a grease pit & was filthy.

# those at reception were very proud of the fact that they offer 24 hour reception.
This may be correct, however getting someone to bring extra towels, when he was the only person there (his explanation), is simply not acceptable.

All in all, a disappointing hotel on this occasion.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank RGT1952

Dear RGT1952,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from you recent stay with us.

I would firstly likely to apologise for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay and the issues you encountered. Rest assured, your feedback has been shared with the relevant department heads responsible to ensure improvements are made where possible.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We have stayed with the Rydges hotel brand 6 times in the past and have always been happy, we have also stayed with another chain in North Sydney (in a better location) without issue on several occasions.

We Stayed here at North Sydney for one night over the weekend and were overall very disappointed with our stay and the service received. It is also very hard to find the hotel and is not well sign posted.

Issues;
Check in slow and not very welcoming. Advised on checkin paying by credit card attracts a 1.08% fee- not happy that such a big chain can pass on fees to customers who are already paying such high room costs. No eye contact by attendant.

Aircon does not flow into bedrooms- we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The room was large and spacious, however our nights sleep was hindered by the lack of aircon feeding into the bedrooms. The bathroom was cooler than the bedroom!

Shower door doesn’t shut- see attached picture. Obviously this caused an issue with water running out.

Crowded buffet at Breakfast- we had breakfast included with our accommodation. Again, this was nothing like any other Rydges we have stayed with previously. Where we had to sit we had the sun belting into our eyes. Supposedly hot food was barely warm, toaster cooked inconsistently, and wait staff were inattentive.

Another issue we found last night (Saturday) was that their in house restaurant is only open Monday to Thursday dinner. Limited options were available at the bar but not child friendly.

No local info in room guide- what hotel doesn’t provide local information and dinner options?? Anything that was written in the book was followed up with a “contact reception”- which would be ok if you could get hold of reception.

No bed side lamp switch- could not just have lamps on in main room as these were on main switch for room... very annoying.

When confirming our booking a couple of days prior as I always do, I requested extra towels. I was told (after hanging on the phone for what seemed like 10 minutes for someone to answer the phone) that they would make a note on our booking. Upon checking in, this had not happened. Upon returning from dinner, we asked at reception and they said they would bring them up. 45 mins later (it was now nearly 930pm) they still hadn’t arrived. We phoned reception but our call went unanswered. Called again another 5 minutes later. This time it answered but we were put on hold for 10 minutes. After this call the towels did make it up.

As we had no local guide in our room and The Rydges restaurant was closed, we went to reception to ask if they could advise us of something close by. The man seemed very unfamiliar with the local area and disappeared to find a sheet with local restaurants. Again, the whole time we spoke to him, he kept his head down like he couldn’t be bothered talking to us.

As on check in, check out was was again without eye contact and just a simple “yep that’s all done, you’re right to go”. Guessing they couldn’t be bothered asking how our stay was or thanking us for staying etc?

Toilet paper was so thin it was almost impossible to use, without having to use more than you needed.

The overall cleaning standard of the room and attention to detail or lack there of was very poor- see attached photos. It appeared the carpet had recently been cleaned and still felt slightly damp on arrival. I had read reviews on Trip advisor prior to our stay but didn’t really pay too much attention to them as I know sometimes people complain over nothing and having stayed at Rydges previously we stupidly assumed that North Sydney would live up to the high standard we have come to know with the Rydges brand- we were very wrong. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.
There was mould in the shower and dirty power points to name a few oversights.

There was no card left in our room to review our stay, nor did the staff ask on checkout, so I felt Trip Advisor was the next best place to leave a review. After paying almost $400 for our room, we have been left highly disappointed.

The only positive would be that the beds were comfortable- I forgot to mention the horrible pillows though!

Should anyone from the hotel which to contact me, I would be more than happy to speak to you regarding this review.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Dear Melissa T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Rydges North Sydney.

It is disappointing to read that you had negative experience and overall stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our Management Team and we appreciate your comments as they present a great opportunity for us to re-evaluate and improve on the issues raised.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future for a much more pleasant stay.