“Sunday Roast at Good Traditional Pub”
Review of The Hare Inn

The Hare Inn
Ranked #10 of 93 Restaurants in Sudbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2012

To the Hare Inn in Long Melford for Sunday Lunch with my Mother and my two sons, the Hare is a large village pub on the outskirts of Melford, opposite the entrance to Kentwell Hall. I often overlook the Hare but it is quite refreshing to go to a pub that is still traditional, dark wood and horse brasses, sells proper beer and has a lack of the ubiquitous neutrals that adorn the walls and woodwork in the current raft of gastro pubs in the area. The food too is pretty traditional; being a Sunday they had three roasts on the menu, Beef, Pork and Lamb at around £8.95 but the menu also had some other traditional favourites such as Steak and Kidney Pudding which I have promised to myself the next time I visit. In addition there are a number of dishes on the menu of normal pub grub staples by which I mean something with chips and peas meals.

With the exception of my youngest who had scampi with chips we all had Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding; the food was good, sort of what you would expect at this price point and in this kind of establishment but well done. The service was polite and efficient on a busy Remembrance Sunday; you do have to go to the bar to order but no problem with that. The boys finished with a sticky toffee pudding and profiteroles with Ice cream, my Mother and I stuck with a cheese board; a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks before that and a couple of liqueurs with coffee completed the order which came out at just under £23.00 a head. The ambiance was good and we were cosy next to the wood burning stove. Based on this visit I would recommend the Hare for a non pretentious Sunday Lunch with family and friends.

5  Thank 2,00,911
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Hare Inn