“Lovely place to spend a week end”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #4 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
warwickshire
“Lovely place to spend a week end”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed for three nights at the red lion and really enjoyed it the room was very clean and comfortable the shower was excellent the breakfast was really nice and nothing seemed to be to much trouble the bar staff were very well informed about the area and places to visit

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in a lodge nearby and went into the red lion for our first meal of the weekend, we both really fancied a steak. We were not disappointed, the steak was a good size and cooked to perfection, it came on a separate cast iron plate and still sizzling. The other plate came with homemade chips, peas, salad, onion rings, fried tomatoes and mushrooms, the steak wouldnt have fit on the plate.
I am often accused of having hollow legs as my appetite is so hearty, however even I was full and left a few chips.
We were so happy after a 12 mile walk the next day we returned and had chilli con carne and lasagne for myself, superb again. Service also great . Helpful but not intrusive. Cant understand the other reviews unless there has been a change of staff or a very strange people who are just sad and like to moan.

• Stayed February 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I went to the red lion on sunday the 5th of February, and was a lot less than impressed. The male behind the bar, as well as being extremely full or ones self, had a despicable and quite frankly vulgar sense of humour which i find unpleasant and highly inappropriate in an environment in which people are eating, which brings me on to the food. The meat on my cob was served cold as was the gravy. The chips were rock hard and extremely greasy, i have no doubt they had been recycled a few times. I had a coke, which was unappetisingly flat, and my 3 year old son could have poured a better pint than the amateur who produced my husbands carling. As for 'homemade food' they neglect to mention that the childrens meals are nothing more than freezer food from iceland. The only decent thing i have to say for the place was that i liked the salad garnish, but that is by no stretch of the imagination enough to bring me back to the place. i strongly recommend you avoid the Red Lion in Bakewell, as i will be doing from now on.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Eliza M
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We popped into here to have a drink and ended up having dinner. Oh my word e food was delicious. The nicest food I have ever had in a restuarant. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend the ploughman's - it impressed me that much I even took a photo of my dinner!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Although the staff were pleasant and the evening meal delicious, the room itself was shabby with a dreadful shower, filthy toilet and used milk portions placed back in the complimentary tea basket. A very old lumpy bed gave us both a poor night's sleep and the breakfast was a little on the mean side. (instant coffee in sachets, two choices of sugary cereal, white bread only - it was eighty quid for B&B!!) I suggest you look elsewhere in Bakewell before resorting to The Red Lion.

• Stayed December 2011