All reviews stables bar small decanter of sherry lick of paint a late lunch amazing location fantastic views real ale log burner peak district evening meal booked a table beer garden stayed here for one night little touches full english viaduct dog
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This hotel definitely needs refurbishing , the food is average, needs a good chef,
Expensive menu, very dissapointed , needs professional staff, A busy area , has the monopoly, but defiantly needs attention all round.
Very disappointed

Room tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We were staying for one night as an interval of our journey to Ireland. After a beautiful walk around Monsal Head and the tunnels, we arrived at Monsal Head hotel for a dinner and one night stay. The welcome was very friendly and familiar. The room was good. And the Stable bar was cosy with some great pub food. But one remark: Monsal Head hotel is old glory. You can see the potential of the hotel. Some refreshments and investments could increase the quality of the hotel and equal it to the quality of the restaurant. They have excellent people and the great location, they need to have the right finishing touch to uplevel their hotel.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ThomasB10474
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Some years back, this used to be a place selling top notch pub food for average prices. Now it sells average food for top notch prices. Not only that, the place is dirty; there were cobwebs between the seats and what looks like mildew on the whitewashed walls. I know this used to be stabling - we've been many times before - but even stables get mucked out don't they?
Some of the prices are unbelievable given the surroundings. This isn't Cornwall or the Cotswolds, yet an 8oz steak is £19.50. If you fancy a bit of bread and olives to start, you'll be forking out £4.50. That's just for the olives. Bread will set you back another £2.75 and despite this they will charge another £1.95 for some oil and balsamic vinegar. Unbelievable.
We waited 35 minutes for our meals to arrive, and when they came the quality was not in keeping with the prices. My fish wasn't very fresh, the chips undercooked. My wife chose from the specials board, hers was OK, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Maybe the fact that we got a table at peak time on a Saturday suggests that this place isn't doing so well, and now we know why

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chas1953
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Live locally and had a drive out with daughter who'd just finished University. We arrived at 9.30 and it was Wednesday. Two lads outside drinking who said hello and smiled. I walked in to the stables bar there was a middle aged lady sat at bar with a full glass of wine and a gentleman stood to the left of bar whom I guessing was her partner. They both showed no expression when I smiled at them approaching the bar. There was a young lady behind the bar mid to late 20's who asked me if I was a patron in a very assertive manner. I said no and she said ,"I can't serve you". I asked why? She said " we've been quiet" I said "really " she replied " it's the manager there decision". No apologies and a little cocky really. I just said ok and went to the Packhorse down the road. What s fantastic favour she did me and my daughter. We walked into the Packhorse and we're greeted with a smile and perfect manners from the barman. Also bonus of Thornbridge ales. We sat outside and enjoyed the great ale great pub which was incidentally busy not surprising. The Stables bar has left a lot to be desired in my last 3 or 4 visits mainly due to surly and bad mannered staff who don't look happy or make you feel welcome. Such a disappointment as was once a great place which I've visited many times over last 30 years whilst living in vicinity. As someone who runs a business myself dealing with public I recommend you guys call into Packhorse and see how it's done. Won't be returning ever again to terrible service and indeed closing at 9.38 on a beautiful summer evening in July.
Very saddened.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Gio B
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We had a great lunch sitting outside at this hotel. Excellent sausage and mash, and very good salads as well. The outside bar located inside a very well rennovated stable/cowshed add great atmosphere to lunch.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends