“Time to grow on you” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
Oman
“Time to grow on you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

When we first arrived, small things irked me. No warm welcome. No porterage, so drag in our own cases. Children running up and down a fire escape that was set in front of the room window. The room was a tight fit but was a special case. Whow, relax, unwind take it easy. We were here for a family wedding, special access requirements for my mother (wheelchair) had been attended to as best as could be done given the existing building, we were to stay in the next room. Apparently converted from an Aged Persons home after being a substantial family home for some landed gentry way back. The fabric of the building was tired and the conversion works probably not always the best solution today, but probably fit a budget then. Our room had no air con only extract in the toilet which we used to create some form of air circulation. Openable windows were limited due to fire escape being outside. When we found the staff (they seem to disappear in the afternoon and the hotel runs itself) I warmed to their generous and open nature. All irks were attended to without complaint or over reaction.
We we dined in the conservatory that evening, the atmosphere was friendly and genuine. The food was good quality and amply portioned. Beautiful views across the valley can be had from the comfort of that restaurant.
The day of the wedding was organised and the staff were fully attentive to their duties and the whole event went off smoothly, albeit getting a quart into a pint pot ! But still a testiment to their attention to detail. As the evening approached again I was pleasantly surprised that the noise form the new conference area did not intrude on the sleeping of us older members.
By the end of our stay I was at peace with the gentle approach of this hotel and wish them well in the future as I understand continual improvement of facilities and services has been embraced by the Best Western to bring this hotel forward in this idilic part of the UK.
By the end of

Room Tip: The newer rooms are probably better catered for. The old rooms have some problems that the Hotel sho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
I am delighted we won you over, and while it is true the hotel is an old building, Elizabeth 1st reputedly stayed, we believe we have sympathetically refurbished the hotel combining contemporary facilities with traditional charm. Many thanks for you good wishes and kind comments regarding staff,rest assured we will continue to improve and enhance our delightful property and our magnificent location
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We were staying at the Leigh Park Hotel on business but it felt more like a holiday. The staff were amazing especially the lovely chap who's wife does ceramic's (sorry never got his name). We enjoyed the food and the high standard or rooms and service. If I had one moan it would be the breakfast staff who all stood by the door chatting and we had to go over and ask if we could order poached eggs!! but to be honest that is nit-picking.
We will ask our booking agent for the Leigh Park Hotel again - I am quite sure we will be in the area again and I would love to stay there for a break too. Oh I saw the shower comment - my partner thought the shower was cold and that was because he didn't see the red button which is a H&S thing to stop stupid people and children from scalding themselves!! Good to know it works!! LOL xx

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
latonaleisure, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Many thanks for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Leigh Park.
It is Peter whose wife does ceremics so I will make sure he sees the review. I will also make sure the breakfast staff take heed from your comments - thank you for advising me of this.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We visited at the beginning of February and were staying overnight for an office work do which also took place at the hotel.

On first impressions: we liked the look of the hotel and the location, it was clear that there were extensive renovations taking place (carpet being laid, and a fresh paint smell) which we weren't told about but we didn't mind too much. We stayed in one of the buildings next to the main house. We arrived early (around 3pm) to put feet up and get ready for evening do but there was a lot of noise and rumbling from heavy machinery directly outside our room which finished at about 5.30pm. We felt that it was a bit wrong that no one warned us of this when we booked or checked in. I don't know if they were fully booked but got the impression that they were not and felt that shey should have only given us rooms next to the heavy machinery if all of their other rooms were taken. My husband was feeling a little unwell so it wasn't very conducive to having a rest or an afternoon nap. At aroun 6pm the band for the party started setting up, immediately below our room and that too was very noisy.

The room was newly refubished and immaculately clean. The decor was classic and welcoming and the shower room, while small was again very clean. The wi-fi connection was great, bed comfy and the usual facilities that you expect from a decent hotel. The only problem, it was a bit cold. The radiator was on and the thermostat dial turned up to it's highest but the radiator was just lukewarm. The room felt slightly damp. It was to be one of the coldest nights of the year and coupled with the fact that my husband was feeling "under the weather", we needed a bit more warmth. I decided to take a shower to warm up. The shower cubicle was a nice double one with a large "rain fall" style shower head. It's just a shame that the water was also lukewarm/cool. It was so disappointing. To get out of a cool shower into a cool room is not pleasant when it's minus 2 or 3 outside. I did the thing that I rarely ever do. I complained (politely) to reception. I explained room and water cold etc. They said they would call back and perhaps move us to another room. I waited for about 50 mins for reception to call us back to say that "they had checked and everything with the heating seemed fine". Noone had checked our room so I don't know what they checked. No other remedy was offered.

We went off to the party and tried to forget. At the party another colleague asked us if our radiator was cold too? They had same problem as us.

That night the radiator was still lukewarm when we got to bed at about midnight. I woke in the middle of the night feeling very cold. There were spare blankets in the cupboard in the corner of the room but the cupboard felt like a fridge, the blanket was so cold that I just couldn't bring myself to put it on me.

Next morning - cold shower again.

I checked out half expecting reception to ask how me how our stay had been but they never - so I didn't bother to complain. Complaining hadn't worked the night before so I could't see how it would help now when I was checking out.

While scraping ice off the car another resident approached my husband and asked if our room had been cold too. His had ice on the inside of the bedroom windows!

I can't help but feel that they were just trying to save money by keeping the heat on low - it was a very cold night and we felt really disappointed. It was a fairly good deal (about £54 for bed only) but not "cheap". If I had spent any more then I would have been very very cheesed off! The very least I expect is cleanliness, warmth and hot water. One out of three isn't really good enough.

Room Tip: Ask about refurbishment before booking and pack your thermals if you plan to stay in the winter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
latonaleisure, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Many thanks for your review, I apologise for the problem you encountered during your visit, which has now been fully rectified. We notified Best Western and other agents, that work to the reception area was taking place and I can only apologise if you were not made aware of this. Like other residents who were attending the party you were allocated a room about the function suite. I am however disappointed you declined the opportunity to move to an alternative room which was offered by my Head Receptionist - we will always endeavour to satisfy guest requirements to ensure they have an enjoyable stay.
I do hope we will see you again in the future when you will be able to see the new landscaped ‘secret garden’ which has further enhanced the grounds.

Travellers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We recently stayed at the Leigh Park and found it comfortable friendly and welcoming.
The staff were all very helpful and the restaurant excellent. We were so impressed we cancelled a dinner booking elsewhere to eat at the hotel on the second night. The conservatory restaurant has fantastic views which compliment the food.

Room Tip: Try the coach house rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
latonaleisure, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Many thanks for your very complimentary review - much appreciated.
We do indeed receive many compliments on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and we are very proud of them.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here with a colleague on business trip.we had read review and asked for a room away from the renovations and they put us in lovely rooms in the coach house.all went well until breakfast,which should have started at 7,and no one turned up til nearly 7.15.wasnt that impressed with the buffet.evening meal was lovely though and the manager was very apologetic about the breakfast.we had no problems on the second day.i suspect because I often stay in cheaper looking hotels i expected more but we paid a very good rate so really can't complain.stunning location , must be lovely for a wedding .would stay there again

• Stayed January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review. I must apologise again for the lateness of breakfast on your first morning - however I am pleased we redeemed ourselves on the second day!! Do hope you will return to Leigh Park again soon to see all the delightful refurbishment work now complete.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
5.0 km away
3.2 km away
The Moonraker
The Moonraker
#1 of 4 in Trowbridge

Been to BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK