All reviews friendly staff home made seminar museum cheese lunch plenty piece jam middle monestary
Reviewed 8 September 2017

I have just spent 3 days at a Seminar at Karthause Ittingen.
And my feedback is very mixed. I would actually like to give it 3.5 stars (so a bit more than 3 stars, but not enough for 4 stars).

For the setting and the accommodation I would give it 5 "stars". The setting is beautiful, quiet and peaceful, there is a lovely big garden, plenty of nice spots to sit down etc. The accommodation is very comfortable and a nice mix of modern and traditional. Staff at reception were very friendly, and I like the small touch of getting a plant of mint at check-out. The breakfast buffet is good, with a good choice of home baked breads, a couple of home made cheeses, some fruit juice (also produced there), an egg station where you can boil your egg to your likings etc.

I was however quite dissapointed by the food and by the service in the restaurant and would only give it 2 stars.
We had one dinner there, and the food can only be described as very very bland. No spices, no herbs, no "love". For example we had a Couscous salad - it was a bowl of Couscous, thats it. No tomatoes, no cumcuber, no lemon juice, no parsley etc. - just plain Couscous. Just adding a couple of pieces of tomato for example would have made a big difference. We had lunch twice, the first one was okay. The second one was again very bland. And we had to wait 35 minutes to get the preordered food (we had ordered the food for a certain time and got it only 35 minutes later). Quite annoying when you only have a short lunch break.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Nice modern rooms, set up in the old part of the House. Some with patio. Superb breakfast all homemade from the cheese to the jam. Relaxing place to walk the gardens and visit the museum next door. Friendly staff.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2017

I walked to this place from Frauenfeld in a nice 45 - minutes trip.
They have their own beer, wine, bread, fish and so many more things. Go there and spend a nice sunday in eastern Switzerland. In general a very friendly and peaceful atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2016

We spent a night there after a wedding. The place was really good for the wedding and the modern rooms were very well thought through. Friendly staff. Even got a little give-away after our stay. Positively surprised.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2016

I just spent 2 nights there on a seminar, and really liked the place a lot. This is a former monastery and its like a small village with huge gardens. Its a nice mixture of old and traditional and modern and functional.

There are 2 museums on the ground, the art museum of the canton Thurgau (which I had no time to visit), and the monastery museum, which we visited on a guided tour with an excellent guide (who has been there for 40 years), it was really interesting. I had never heard of the Kartause monks before and she provided plenty of information on them, coupled with a great sense of humour.

A lot of what you eat and drink here is produced on the grounds. There are vineyards (and their white wine is excellent), a cheesery, a butcher, a bakery, they grow hops (the beer is produced at the Heineken brewery in Chur), produce honey, grow plenty of fruit (apples, cherries, plums, pears etc.), there is a trout pound and much more.

Breakfast is a good middle sized buffet, with freshly baked bread and buns, different juices, cheese, meats, birchermüsli, jogurt etc. Lunch and dinner was tasty, but nothing amazing.

I had a single room, and it was fine and comfortable, with everything you need, but pretty small. Also, it was hot (for swiss standards), and as the room is right under the roof with a small window, it got really hot in there. AC wouldnt make sense (we are speaking of Switzerland :-)), but a small fan to blow out the hot air out of the room would make sense in my opinion.

The Kartause is of course a profit orientated business, but I also really like the fact that there is a home there for 30 challenged people (and 30 more coming in for the day).

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business