All reviews cake on arrival carlton hotel plates and cutlery complimentary tea welcoming hotel free breakfast every afternoon the hotel offers well stocked bar victoria sponge plenty of parking car park full english steep hill ten minute walk lovely touch
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

This hotel is spotlessly clean, but it just looks a bit tired. It needs a facelift.
Staff are friendly.
Location is fairly central, though walk back from town center is up steep hill.
I disliked all the signs in the room - no smoking, don’t use the bath as a shower, don’t flush sanitary items, don’t put your cigarette butt out the window, put your hair straighteners on the tile......felt excessive to me.
Afternoon cake & tea was complimentary & delicious!
A bit of redecorating could really improve this hotel.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sligoone
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Thank you Sligoone for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel spotlessly clean and in a good central location and that you indulged in our free homemade cake with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I am also pleased to hear that you received our traditional friendly service.
I am sorry to hear that you feel the Hotel is in need of redecorating. The whole external building has all just been re-painted over the Summer and all of the public areas at the beginning of this year, all bedrooms are currently being re-painted and are painting annually after the Summer. Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel directly to discuss the area you felt that needed a facelift.
I apologise you felt the signs were excessive so I will address each one for you;
Our no smoking signs are in place for fire safety reasons and even though it is illegal to smoke within the Hotel unfortunately there are some people that are unaware of this law hence why we have to have these signs.
The hair straightener tiles are again for fire safety reasons and to prevent any burns on the furniture/carpets.
Don’t flush sanitary items – you may see these signs in many places around Cornwall as we wish to keep our beaches as clean as possible.
Bath/ shower sign- This is to make guests aware that this bathroom only has a bath and the shower attachment is there to wash your hair and not designed to be used as a stand-up shower. All of our rooms vary some with shower cubicles and some with baths, so please feel free to contact reception directly with a preference and we will be sure to accommodate you.
Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Came to stay at hotel with work for a week. Fabulous staff. I had a slight problem in my room and they immediately offered me a free bottle of wine. The problem was soon sorted. Immaculately clean room. Could not complain about one aspect of the hotel. Fabulous

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear Charles B,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us; I am pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us and received our traditional warm and friendly service.
I am delighted to hear that the small problem in your room was rectified so quickly and hope you enjoyed your free bottle of wine whilst waiting.
I look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Truro.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

On arrival, pulled into front car park (8 spaces I think), more spaces in the rear car park. I was met with a smiling lady on reception, who was very friendly and chatty. Booked me in with speed and I went up to my single room (7). Room was clean and functional. Only a shower , no bath. Comfy single bed. Small TV with limited Freeview channels, no HD. Good WiFi throughout the property. Downstairs, I grabbed a piece of delicious, complimentary lemon cake: tea and coffee also available.
I had a good night's sleep with limited noise outside even with the window wide open. Breakfast is cooked fresh and a decent buffet breakfast is available; coffee a little weak for my liking but that's a personal preference All in all, just what you'd expect from a well run hotel.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear NeilJehane_23
I am delighted to hear that you received our traditional warm and friendly welcome with a speedy and helpful check in and that you indulged in our free homemade cake with a cup of tea/coffee.
I am pleased to hear that you found the room clean, functional and quiet and that you had a good night’s sleep and enjoyed our freshly cooked full breakfast and found the Continental Buffet breakfast plentiful. I am sorry to hear that you found the Coffee on the buffet a little weak, we do have our Coffee Machine behind the bar therefore can provide you with a Latte, Cappuccino & Espresso whichever you would prefer upon request.
I hope to see you again for your next stay in Truro.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Arrived early and allowed to check in as room was ready - much appreciated. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Room was large and well appointed, bed comfy and we slept well.

Plenty of on site parking, and a short walk into town.

Didn't pay for the breakfast with the booking - we were offered it as an additional cost, but decided to keep costs down and take breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear Phil C,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be in a convenient location with plenty of free parking and that you were able to check in early.
I am pleased to hear that you received our traditional friendly service and that you found your room nice and large, well appointed and that you had a good night sleep in our comfy bed.
As you had booked via a 3rd party booking website (Booking.com or Expedia) this is a room only rate, as you mentioned you do have the choice to join us for breakfast at an additional cost, however if you book with us direct either on the phone or on our direct website you get our delicious freshly cooked Full breakfast included for free.
I hope to welcome you back again for your next visit to Truro.

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

The staff and hotel are both amazing our cozy double room ( room 4 ) was stunning breakfast was good and a good choice, it’s only a short walk into town and staff give amazing advice on places to eat out and places to visit

We will Definitely be back looking forward to our next visit

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade from a Cosy Double to our King Room (Room 4) and that you received our traditional high standards of helpful and friendly service.
I am pleased to hear that you indulged in our freshly cooked Full Breakfast and that you found the Hotel to be in a good location for a short walk into Truro City and that you found some of the fabulous restaurant’s we recommended that Truro has to offer.
I look forward to seeing you during your next visit, and remember to book direct on our website for Breakfast to be included free of charge.