All reviews morning room afternoon tea panelled dining room the main house outdoor pool croquet lawn stayed in the coach house beautiful hotel junior suite roaring log fire public rooms bicester village lovely grounds four poster bed birthday treat waiting staff an overnight stay
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited with our dog for a weekend. The room was beautiful and spacious. They even had an adorable dog bed, bowl and dog food. The gardens are beautifully kept and the manor is well decorated. The dinner was in an amazing room that made me feel like a queen and the breakfast room was equally as charming. The room wasn’t ready when we arrived so we were given lovely complimentary champagne and only had to wait about 10 minuets for the room to be finished. The staff is cheerful and welcoming. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren B
Reviewed 16 March 2018

My room was at the top of the house up steep stairs. There were cracks in the ceiling and damp stains. The bath was badly damaged, with an incredibly bad repair to the cast iron - so much so that I didn’t use it. The room and the landing outside needed a thorough clean and desperately needed to be decorated. I didn’t complain because it was my birthday and I just wanted a happy day. It’s such a shame because the hotel is in a brilliant location.

Room Tip: Avoid the room at the top of the house!
Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank ClaireClancy
Reviewed 9 March 2018

On arrival, we were welcomed by the delightful Holly at reception; checking in was very straightforward and we were shown to our lovely room (number four), steeped in history. We had pre-dinner drinks in comfy sofas in the bar area and dinner was served in the oak-paneled dining room. The menu selection was ample and our Portuguese waiter was helpful and informative and certainly prompted my meal choice - which was NOT disappointing - our compliments to the Chef! Breakfast was equally delicious and great service - thank you.
The staff at this hotel are an asset and we ended our evening chatting to Carlos, a great character!
This hotel is set in beautiful grounds and has an amazing history and it is close to Blenheim and Oxford, to enable you to appreciate the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Room Four - a view across the most amazing driveway
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

We found Manor Weston after having decided to spend Christmas in UK with the family. One criterion for selection was location (Oxfordshire for access convenience), on which The Manor ticked the box. Another big selling point was that they are dog friendly; our dogs may have been several thousand miles away back in South Africa, but there is something appealing about a hotel that is forward thinking enough to accommodate pets, especially over the Christmas period. Incidentally, several people had taken advantage of this benefit during the days we were there, which added to the atmosphere, although, thankfully, the dogs are not permitted in the dining room. The main criterion in choosing this venue was the look and cosiness of the place, especially important for a Christmas break, and Manor Weston definitely ticks the boxes in this regard. The oak panelled dining room really sold the idea of the hotel to us as we were excited about our Xmas lunch in this original part of the building (an old pre Tudor tax collection office); more of this later. And so, despite reading several less than glowing reviews, we took a punt and booked a couple of suites for the festive period. Luckily, my mother lives not so far away so she popped by during August to take a look at the hotel and choose our rooms. Thankfully! We had originally been advised to take the coach house, but after the visit took the two ͚top suites͛ in the hotel instead.

Our arrival on xmas eve went well enough, being greeted and processed in front of a roaring log fire and within an ambience of arriving for a weekend house party rather than a hotel visit. We had dropped our luggage earlier in the day as we passed through and I was somewhat surprised for it tostill be sitting in the corridor rather than having been moved to our rooms when they became available. It soon became apparent why; you have to carry your own luggage! I am not quite sure if and when this has become ͚a thing͛ in England, but even as an extremely active person I don͛t like or welcome this level of service, it was especially unwelcome for my 82 year old mother! Although, they did grudgingly carry her small holdall for her, so I was spared carrying her and my luggage both. My husband was still in shock I think from the idea that a hotel of this level anywhere in the world would expect you to carry your own luggage …… perhaps they are concerned with enhancing the fitness and blood pressure levels of their guests.

Our rooms were delightful, in a quirky very shabby chic and in desperate need of investment in revamp, kind of way, and huge. Our original Tudor panel room looked out over the rear of the building and gardens, except, unfortunately, there was a huge marquee plonked on the lawn outside. Not sure if this was a permanent fixture or just remaining there after a function? The bathroom was extremely nice; this at least had seen some investment within the last decade, and underfloor heating for those of us used to warmer climes was most welcome.

Our first visit to the dining room threatened us repacking our bags and heading back to Mum͛'s house for Xmas sandwiches. Even though the question had been specifically asked, and confirmed by hotel staff months earlier, that our meals would be served in the old dining room, we were shown to a table in a completely different room. Having been the first Xmas booking made months before this did not sit at all well. Luckily the young lady on duty made the correct assessment and mitigation of the situation and we were re-seated for the duration of our stay in the main dining room.

The food over the days we stayed was of a good standard, considering the number of people being catered for. Tea on Xmas eve was particularly good and we overstuffed on some really rather good scones. The wine list is reasonable both in choice and price, breakfasts are excellent, and the
celebration meals were enjoyable.

Service at Manor Weston is straight out of the Fawlty Towers manual of hospitality staff training. Or maybe it was just because of the holidays? The staff, when they could be located, was friendly and tried to be obliging, but they were woefully trained, except for the two guys cleaning the rooms who worked at a phenomenal rate. Which brings me on to cleanliness at manor Weston; not good. The management need to close the place for two weeks and get a commercial deep clean done throughout the entire hotel. The Duty Manager, bless him, seemed to be responsible for actually doing everything, including being entertainment officer leading everyone to midnight mass, but one man cannot hold a hotel together single headedly.

I am not sure how they cater for conferences at manor Weston as there is inadequate seating for guests in all of the public rooms. And what seating there is, is in desperate need of attention and care. Shabby chic sofas around the fire whilst sharing festive conversations with family members and fellow guests is all very lovely, but not when the upholstery is so old it feels like you have to drag your backside off the floor when you stand up. It is also dreadful for the lower lumbar vertebrae.

So, overall impressions of our trip? We loved it; we loved sharing precious family time in a gorgeous old building, we loved the shabby chicness of it, we loved the quirkiness of the service, but most of all we loved the ambience of a country house hotel weekend party that was somehow generated
over our couple of days there. In fact, having discovered an upstairs private function room, I was quite taken with the whim of gathering together our rather large and usually dispersed family at Manor Weston for Xmas 2018 ……..

……. except, I think that this whimsy of an great first stay and potential for further visits was brought about by being elevated by the ambience that was, I am certain, generated by the guests themselves, rather than the Manor Weston experience as of itself. In the harsh reality of the two month intervening period I realise that had this been a stay at any other time of year and underdifferent circumstances and anywhere else in the world, I would have complained like hell, written a very unfavourable review and would advise fellow travellers to find somewhere else. The Manor Weston has all of the ingredients of potential to be marvellous; good looks, location, history, vast rooms and food that is acceptable, however, it needs to give itself a good shake and look in the mirror and pull those elements together properly and live up to expectations and the marketing material. Training of hospitality staff up to an acceptable level for this type of country retreat is not difficult, we are not talking about London top notch hotel standards here; just being available, attentive and skilled in the basics (luggage carrying and food serving) would put Manor Weston on the front foot again. Refurbishment of such a property is horrendously expensive, and guests understand this and will accept a certain level of shabbiness. What most of us will find unacceptable however is when a hotel, in the absence of major infrastructure reinvestment, cannot even be bothered to appease its guests by every so often investing in a deep clean and essential upholstery
upgrades.

So, although we have some lovely memories of our festive break at Manor Weston, I doubt we will be returning anytime soon, which is a real shame for a property with such potential.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Katherine K
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

Don’t get me wrong this is a beautiful olde English countryside Manor House in an ideal setting with easy access to the main roads. The staff are attentive and my stay was comfortable (although the bedroom could do with being a few degrees warmer) unfortunately the hotel is ideal for couples on a weekend away but not so good if you want a spacious well lit working area in your room! Breakfast service was painfully slow which made me late for a business appointment in Oxford. A bit more thought could make this a great venue.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business