Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews family cottage nanda devi local kumaoni spent nights comfortable rooms clear skies homely food an excellent place dining area is heart and soul cave temple homemade pickles sunset walk recreation room warm hosts homely stay jeep
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 June 2019 via mobile

The Misty Mountains is a small property in The Misty Mountains is a small property
in the Kumaon hills, a mind-blowing location, more beautiful than anywhere I have been before. Though the journey is a long one, 490 km from Delhi, it is more than worthwhile once one gets there.

The rooms all face the Himalayan snow ranges, and the view is a 180 degree one. One could spend hours just looking the mountains.

We were in a suite which could comfortably accommodate a family of 4. Everything was clean and comfortable, the service excellent. Since the property is built on a hillside, a bit of climbing up and down was required if one wanted to stroll about, but nothing very demanding even for us senior citizens.

This is not the place to go if your idea of a holiday is 5 star hotels, chilled beer by the pool side etc. It is a place where you breathe clean air, listen to birdsong all day and watch the valleys and mountains stretching out before you. Long walks in the forest are also organized, where an experienced young man, Raju,took us through the forest to a distant meadow from where we had a magnificent view of the sunset. All along the 4 km walk there and back, Raju took excellent care of the group especially one of us who was having greater difficulty than others. He was by her side all along and at the end even she was as surprised as she was happy that she had been able to do it!

Since Misty Mountains is so remote, we ate all our meals there, and I can't speak highly enough of the food. It was delicious, and made more so by the array of pickles and jams made inhouse using locally available fruit and vegetable.

What made our stay so wonderful was also the presence of the couple who run the hotel, Madhur and Ambika Chabra. They were wonderful hosts - warm, friendly, a mine of information about the forests, the birds, the animals found there. In fact, every person who worked there was so friendly and willing to help, that it felt as though we had known them for ages!

A place I certainly would love to go back to.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2019

I rarely write negative reviews, but this is the first time I have been let down so badly by tripadvisor suggestions .
The visit began badly. Though there were 2 families waiting to enter the resort, the owners sent only one jeep to pick us up. The other family immediately installed themselves and their luggage in the jeep, leaving us with no alternative but to wait on the road for 45 minutes. The driver berated us, and said 'get in get in, or you will see how long you have to wait.' In the event, we waited for 45 minutes. We reached the resort, and the owner was not in the least bit apologetic for the discomfort we faced.

What went well :
1. The room we were upgraded to was spacious
2. One of the staff, Mr Raju, was welcoming and helpful. He was the only bright spot in the entire dismal experience.
3. We asked for Kumaoni food one day, and that was pretty good.
4. The trek to the Lambkeshwar mountain was enjoyable.

What went badly:
1. We entered the room to find that the toilet and washbasin lights had fused. The sheets were filthy - all changed only after we called the reception.
2. Though the room was large, the furnishings were poor - there were plastic buckets in the bathroom, a half empty plastic bottle of santoor on the sink , dirty sheets - lending it a tawdry, downmarket feel. No hangers for our clothes and jackets.
3. No view at all on the days we were there. Of course, we don't blame the owners for this, but it takes away the only reason people would visit this place.
4. After the friendliness we had experienced in the other places we stayed in Kumaon, the standoffishness of the owners was surprising, especially considering there were only 2 families at the resort at that time. Maybe it was because we said we were more comfortable with English than Hindi? After the brusque welcome, the owner interacted with us only when we were checking out, to ask us to pay for the vegetable pakodas which were ostensibly a welcome snack.

Tips.
1. Though there are walks in the morning and evening, you need something to spend time in the afternoon. When asked for suggestions, Madhur shrugged unhelpfully and said 'Chill'. It would be better to get good books or your kindle, because the book collection in the resort is pathetic.
2. The best thing would be to skip this place altogether and stay an extra day in Munsiyari , Binsar or Sonapani.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank gypsybloood
Madhur C, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2019

Dear Mam,

First and foremost - a qualifier for the response below. I am absolutely sure that had your experience at Misty not begun so badly, your whole experience would have been completely different.

Having said that - no surprises here.

Your review is expected and I am glad for this opportunity to respond to you. Till the time you were a guest at my place, I would not have been able to speak my mind.

Allow me to respond to all that you have said here -

1) "the visit began badly" - Yes!! For us and the other guest that you mention too. There were only 3 people in the 8 seater jeep and enough space for the 3 of you. You chose not to come with them in spite of their asking you in! And you were disappointed because there was only one jeep? So if I have four rooms checking in - I should assign each of them a separate vehicle?

The fact is that you had met the same guests (verified by them) earlier in your trip and did not wish to share any space with them for reasons best known to you. Whatever, happened after this, was just a result of this start.

2) "the driver berated us" - The driver did not berate you. It was the other way around. You were rude to him and the other guest who were sitting in the jeep. You chose to wait at the parking rather than join 3 other people in a 8 seater jeep. By your logic, had you reached the parking before them - you would have asked "them" to wait!

On your arrival - you were rude to me when I came to welcome you as soon as you climbed off the jeep. And although I was not apologetic (I had no reason to be), I did upgrade your room to pacify you. Since it was a last minute upgrade, the room was not as clean as it should have been. And the sheets were not filthy - they were dusty; because the room was not cleaned! This was corrected within minutes of your arrival - as you have mentioned. Even mentioning this here is petty.

3) I am glad you enjoyed a few things and have mentioned them here. Especially Raju's service. At least, his friendliness came through to you.

4) I will not comment on the "downmarket" feel and let other guests' review do the talking. I do not appreciate that term. Incidentally, I would have appreciated it even less if you had called our place "upmarket".

5) In your zeal to list your disappointments, you have mentioned the lack of view and then dismissed it. I really am at a loss of words on this. :)

6) You think that I was standoffish because you were more comfortable in English? Implying thereby that I was not comfortable in English? Lets just say that I am not comfortable in impolite English, and leave it at that.

I am sure you are right when you say that people elsewhere were friendlier to you. I concede that I could have been friendlier, as I was with the other guests during your stay. I tried - maybe not hard enough.

But no, I did not meet you to ask you to pay for snacks and dinner (which was not part of your package) - I met you as a courtesy. I make it a point to meet all my guests, on arrival, as well as, at departure. Payments - Raju can very well take care of. I was being polite; unsuccessfully again.

As for you very helpful tips -

You are right about one thing - this place is not for everybody. Leave alone people who need to do "something" to spend time in the afternoon or otherwise. A 3500 sq ft indoor space with board games and badminton/ TT is also not helpful. Nor are the many corners filled with beautiful flowers and sit outs where one can experience peace. The mini library has already been rejected of course. :) .

This place is primarily for people who can, and do, chill. This place is for people, who are first and foremost, happy with who they are. We love to host such people. They spread positive energy everywhere - be it here or Munsyari - Binsar - Sonapani (all of which we love and highly recommend for those travelling this side). The filter remains the same though. One does need to know how to "just chill" and let the centre of the Universe be an unknown mystery.

sincerely,

Madhur

Reviewed 27 April 2019 via mobile

Misty Mountains is off the beaten path and is a gem of a place once you reach it! We stopped there for a night enroute to Munsiari but regretted not staying there longer! The road to reach the resort is very rough and tough but the hosts are considerate to arrange a vehicle from base point to their resort! We of course decided to take our 4x4 up till the resort and had an off roading experience! The hosts, Madhur and Ambika have made a lot of effort in maintaining the resort and making guests feel welcome! Ambika’s home made jams and pickles are a treat, the food is great and rooms are very clean and well maintained! One has to stay at least two or three nights to soak in the experience and views!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank RajatSethi58

Dear Rajat.

Thank you for your kind words and lovely review. We do recommend to our guests to leave their vehicles at the parking. Its a dirt track at best and best traversed in a rough tough jeep.

I hope you would take your own advise and visit us for a longer duration next time. :)

regards,

Ambika, Suroohi, Madhur and Rags.

Reviewed 26 April 2019

We stayed in misty mountain (two families) in April 2019. The excitement starts when you park your vehicle 3 kms before the resort and take resort jeep. The next 3 kms road looks treacherous with the jeep ride on first time, but we realized that it is really not so dangerous after we did it second time. The guy who drives the jeep , makes it all the more fun. So it is ok, just a bit of adventure before you reach a tranquil place. The property is vast , secluded and beautiful. Well beautiful is an understatement. Just the the sitting area in front of our cottages itself was worth all the journey. Because you can see tens of kms in front of you, with a whole range of mountains (Nandadevi, Panchachuli, Trishul, Shiv-Parbati) as back drop and forested land all around you to keep you away from rest of the world. You just sit there and enjoy. You won't see a soul for hours unless some hotel staffs decide to come. We trekked to a small temple on top of a hill, the path was covered by blooming Rhododendron trees. It mesmerizes you. Then we walked to a meadow just before sunset which was so vast, so serene and so tranquil, the meadow just stole our hearts. It was awesome when we saw a flock of pheasants across the meadow. Our dates were such that we were the only guests in the whole place. It added to the serenity of the place. And as a cherry on top, there was one day when the entire range became crystal clear in the morning after some rain on previous day. We woke up, moved the curtains and were spellbound to see the gorgeous mountain range. Food was also great. Kids loved it. And Ambika, she was really a great host. She took time to be with us during our lunch and breakfasts and it was great to know about the history of the place, their passion , how they built the place and their day to day challenges to run it . She makes it look like it is easy, but I think it takes a lot of passion to run such a beautiful property in such location. Staffs were also very very accommodating, always tried their best to satisfy the request. This is a place, which you would enjoy if you love solitude, nature, birds, tranquility. My advice will be if you go there, spend most of the time there lazying around or just walking or hiking around it. I would love to go back there again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Madhur C, Owner at The Misty Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2019

Dear Sumana,

Thank you so much for your kind words and detailed review. It was a pleasure to host you all here at Misty.

Misty is indeed a place of happiness in small moments. We are grateful that our guests appreciate and share
our passion for this blissful place that we call home.

Look forward to seeing you here again sometime.

regards,

Ambika, Suroohi, Rags and madhur

Reviewed 25 April 2019

I chanced upon this resort while browsing for a stay in Chaukori, and it caught my eye instantly! And the overwhelmingly postive reviews on Tripadvisor helped me to zero down on it for our holidays in Kumaon district in Uttarakhand! All our pre-booking queries were quickly and correctly answered by Ms Kavita, and booking itself was quite smooth. I cant say the same for the journey to reach there from Ahmedabad, though! But once you reach there, you forget it in few moments itself ! It took us around 9 hours by road from Rudrapur city to reach the parking area where their driver was waiting to take us the last few kilometers to the resort in their own vehicle as the road is very rough and steep, and it was an enjoyable and bumpy ride through the jungle!
On reaching the resort, we were greeted very warmly by the `family members` of the Misty Mountains, starting with Ms Ambikaji, the owner, her daughter Roohi, the staff ( and you soon realise that they treat their staff as family members ! ), and their dog, Rags! Looking at our tired faces, we were quickly escorted to our rooms, the Oak duplex suites, without even mentioning that we have been upgraded to these rooms! ( At most other resorts, if you are given a higher category room than originally booked, they make it sure that you feel obliged to them for it! But not here! ) And it was clearly evident that we are just not clients for them, but personal guests at their home!
The location of the Oak suites is fantastic, it is very spacious, and tastefully done with pleasing aesthetics.The linen provided is neat and clean, the bathroom is also quite well designed, as in `good old days` in cities, with all the 3 areas, bathing area, wash basin and toilet, seperated from each other with brick walls, the way it should be! They have even taken care of providing a charging point working on inverter in the room , lest the city dwellers get panicky when the light goes out, and their gadgets start `dying`!
The evening snacks of pakoras and sandwiches with tea gave us the idea of the taste and quality of food to follow!
We actually realised the superb location of the resort and the rooms, the next day early morning, when we opened our eyes to the majestic views of the whole Himalayan range, right from Trishul peak to the Panchchuli range! It was mesmerising and spell bounding! The only sounds which you could hear at 5: 30 am in the morning were of birds chirping all around you! How you wish that time freezes there for atleast sometime and you can spend hours together in the moment!
The food from breakfast to dinner was homely, fresh and , had enough varieties and quite tasty, and the highlight of each meal was the wide range of pickles and jams homemade by Ambikaji herself! Our sweet tooth was also satisfied to large extent during dinner , and she specially baked chocolate cupcakes for all the guests! Yummy! We savored it till we left the resort!
Ambikaji made it a point to interact with each and every guest during that time, on general topics and answered to various queries of the guests ( many of them repeatative! ) with full involvement, just as we do at our home with our personal guests!
The service was top notch! Though the staff is local and not qualified in hotel industry ( I presume ), but are well trained, and always served with a smile, polite and had immepacable manners, and quite flexible in everything and we didn`t get to hear a no for anything we asked ! Our one point contact for everything was Mr Raju, full of energy and enthusiasm at any given time of the day and ever ready to help us! He accomapanied us during various jungle treks in and around the resort, be it for sunset view, or Lambkeshwar trek or in quest to see the leopard in the resort area ! Bonfire was also arranged for us on a windy evening in the dining area, which added to the wonderful experience!
They have an huge activity room, with various games and small library, but I don`t think anyone would be ( or should be! ) using it, as the real `activity` lies outside in the vastness of the resort with Oak trees all around where you can do various activities like soaking in the nature for hours, gazing endlessly at the himalayas when weather permits ,various treks, or best of all, honing your skills of ` masterly inactivity`!
Our 3 nights were over in a jiffy, we felt! We left the resort with memories which will last for long, for sure!
When you are personal guests at anyone`s home, you tend to ignore minor lacunae for sure! One such here was absence of any wardrobe or place to hang clothes in the suite, which is very much needed when you are staying for 2-3 days. Also the cleanliness at some places in the room at the check-in time was not upto the mark, which was immediately taken care of when pointed out.
Over all we had a fantastic time, and it is highly recommended for the persons who love to be amidst nature and for whom the main `sight seeing` attraction is nature itself and not the various `points` forcefully developed as tourist attraction at more popular places!
We definitely wish to visit the place again someday, the distance and travel time not withstanding!

Room tip: All rooms have good views, best are from Oak duplex suites
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank prjotwani

Dear Mr. Jotwani,

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed and generous review of our place. Its always a pleasure to host true nature lovers. Misty welcomes them with open arms.

It would indeed be our pleasure and privilege to host you here again anytime. We look forward to it!

warm regards,