“Cozy pub/restaurant with great views and good food”
Review of The White House

The White House
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 18
Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: This old coaching house dates back to 1670 and has been in the Marney family for 30 years!. We are situated high in the Pennine hills on the edge of Littleborough, the Pennine way passes our front door and the 'tour de France' on the 6th july is on our doorstep. We serve quality home cooked meals every lunch time and evening.
Reviewed 7 June 2016

Went here for our first meal back in the UK and were not disappointed. It sits on a hill overlooking Rochdale and the moors, and while quite basic on the outside, is very cozy and hospitable inside. I had my first cask bitter in 14 years (Theakston) and it was very good. For dinner I had the steak and kidney pie, which was very good, though the crust was a little "cakey" rather than shortcrust. We were here with two family members (locals) and they also really enjoyed their meals. The beef lasagna seemed to be the star of the table in terms of presentation and flavour. Fish and chips and the trio of fish were also reported as very good. When the restaurant started to fill up, we felt a little hurried out, but I suppose that is to be expected on a Friday night. Overall a great first meal back in the UK.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

We only visit this establishment once a year, but it's very nice to be recognized and greeted by staff. A cheap eats diner with definite mid range menus and qualities. All accompanied with a good selection of beers, in comfortable surroundings.

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Called into The White House, after a hike from Standedge cutting, to Hebden bridge
A strategically place watering hole en route, had a few beers and a lunch.
Menu offered a good choice of food, and reasonably priced.
Service was very good and the staff extremely polite and helpful.
The apple pie and custard a nice treat at the end of a very good day.

Reviewed 20 May 2016

We were on holiday staying close by, so it was a very handy place to visit. The choice of food was excellant even my fussy husband found something he liked. It was very busy but you never felt that you were being rushed to clear the table. I think we ate there 4 times in the week, well we were on holiday . Staff were friendly and didn't mind too much when we were the last to leave.

Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

Visited on several occasions. Usually with my extended family. The food is nice and the staff great! It's a nice atmosphere but can get quite crowded. I always struggle for a good meat free option here but the rest of the family have plenty of choice. My last time here was in December. We went on a Sunday and seeing all the lovely roasts I decided to have one. I asked for the same as everyone else just without the piece of meat. I was told it wasn't a problem as they did a vegetarian option. When it arrived I was very disappointed. It was just a few vegetables, 2 small roast potatoes, no gravy or Yorkshire pudding. My 6 year old niece had substantially more on hers. I didn't make a fuss as I usually would because I didn't want to put a negative on the occasion. Despite this i will return as it's a family favourite, I would appreciate some better meat free options though.

Date of visit: December 2015