“Disappointing”

Add it.
Charlotte's
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had visited the cafe before in winter for hot chocolates, and it was lovely. However, we will not be visiting again. We were a group of two adults and four children. The waitress was welcoming moving seats for us to all sit together. The menu was limited to sandwiches, toasties and meals with chips. My friend had curry which was ok. The children mainly had children's meals with chips and beans. I selected poached salmon in cream and prawns. It was quite tasteless and after a couple of bites I found it was uncooked in the middle. It was promptly returned. There was no real apology. I re-ordered a toastie - easily enough not to mess up I thought. After eating half of it and half a tomato I looked at the other tomato and saw it was mouldy - hence the earthy taste of the other one. Again, dish returned and an apology and I was told I would not be charged for my meal. I was very disappointed with service following birth if my attempted meals. Mistakes are made, but it is how these mistakes are rectified that is the key.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The worst full English breakfast I've ever eaten in my life - soggy toast, shriveled mushrooms, a miserable half tomato, reheated bland sausage, what tasted like deep-fried bacon and fried bread, and to cap it all eggs that managed to be over-cooked and under-cooked at the same time. A long wait for food despite being the only customers on a rainy day. The staff were not friendly or welcoming (maybe the weather had dampened their spirits), I didn't see a smile the whole time we were there. We weren't offered a top up for our coffee, which arrived 15 minutes before our food. We weren't asked once if everything was okay or if we needed anything else. The place desperately needs some background music to give some atmosphere, rather than having to listen to the loud conversations the staff were having in the kitchen. Overall a very disappointing experience. I can't see this cafe lasting much longer with the competition they have nearby. It's such a shame, because it wouldn't take much to make it a lovely place to stop for a nice lunch.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Food was mediocre and over priced. They could do a lot better. Went for a birthday lunch and was disappointed. Tables felt sticky and the place seemed drab. It was much better a few years ago.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

This used to be a snacky type cafe that you could visit on a trip to the lake. They have tried to go upmarket with full meals only and not does not work. A lunch time snack for 3 at £30 is not going to attract people when there are three restaurants within walming disstance.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Situated between a good chippy and Italian restaurants this place should be able to cater for the in-betweenies but doesn't which is shame because the food is very good.
The eating area just needs a bit of pizazz. maybe some tasteful music, a few flowers and it would create the right impression.
The people are very accommodating, so come on owners, with a little more attention to the atmosphere and you will be justly rewarded!