“Gauche” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cointrin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Gauche”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

When you book a hotel reservation through an internet dealer and get the best cutthroat price for the room, you can be sure that you are not going to get royal or even adequate treatment nor will you enjoy a happy "client-business" relationship. I don't blame the owners because, on top of the good deal, the hotel still has to dig into its own pocket to pay the transaction commission which they regard as a new internet tax on top of the government tax. I heard this complaint everywhere from different hotels. So, I expected that I would be offered one of their smallest rooms and probably the noisiest next to the elevator, the ice machine, or the housekeeping room. The elegance of the hotel is diminished when they tell you that room taxes are not included and will cost $1.50 per room per day. Wow, what a hostile punishment! You are already uncomfortable. The last time I used a "booking" service was for the"Campanile" in Annecy, Haute Savoie I vowed not to do it again through "expedia", "agoda," or others like them, but you can't escape because when you try to reach the hotel site directly on the internet through Google you are automatically directed to the shark outfits posing as hotel sites, with logo addresses and everything. You have to be an accomplished geek to directly contact the hotel. Anyway, I got my room at the Crown Plaza adjacent to the elevators, the stairs, and the fire exit stairs. It was still better than the room I got previously when the hotel used to be a Ramada, and my room 707 happened to be next to the gym where you could hear the hum of the treadmill and vibrations from weight lifting early in the morning. The Crown Plaza is a good hotel and has fine room accommodations plus respectable culinary items from their room service such as nice pastas like fusilli and tasty tandoori chicken for about $24.00. But, I recommend you try "La Recolte Restaurant" which serves a very good selection of dishes especially meats like cote de boeuf for two at about $70.00. I ordered the entrecote which is a French version of a New York steak at $35.00. It came as I ordered it, "saignant" which is equivalent to medium rare. On my last visit there was construction everywhere and I learned that they are adding two top floors that will include superior rooms and suites.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank gabykouchacji
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear LikeCouchakji,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your room accommodations, as well as your meal at our restaurant. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you found the location of your room unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
Reference # 27730767
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Among the IHG hotels, you expect good things from a Crowne Plaza. This one has good, but uneven service, OK food, remodeled bathrooms, but otherwise tired rooms, meeting services, and general facilities. At over $300 per night per room, the facilities are shocking (Switzerland is generally expensive), but its proximity to the airport (a 5 minute shuttle ride) is a great selling point.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bloodman33
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Bloodman33,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry some aspects of our hotel were not to your liking.

I am pleased that our staff was able to off set this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our great location.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,
Brenda J.
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here for the first time in 1992. I was shocked to see that the bathroom hasn 't been replaced since.( already very outdated in 1992) . The room is small and very hot. No airco and if you open the window you'll hear the planes. Beds are good though. Very close to the airport, just a 5 minute drive so very convenient if you have an early flight. Free WIFI but a very weak signal most of the time.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Anitavhb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Anitavhb,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am deeply sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. We take all comments seriously and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is any thing we can do to make your next stay more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Katie J
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

+ Location and shuttle to hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. Free WIFI

- It says newly opened in 2011. I stayed in this hotel probably 25 years ago when it was called Penta. The room I stayed in is exactly the same as 25 years ago. The rooms are small, the furnishing lousy and outdated, small beds and almost no chance of getting a room with a double bed and the rooms are too warm and dry. All in all - not worthy of a Crowne Plaza brand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear bigal_nl2,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. While the building may have been here for a while. We as a Crowne Plaza are fairly new. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We choose this hotel as we needed an airport hotel due to an early flight. I am also a frequent traveller (including many IHG hotels) and knew this is their 4* brand so was expecting a good quality property.
From the moment we walked through the hotel doors, we were disappointed by the dated (1980's) decor. The whole arrival experience was nothing of a 4* hotel but more like entering a private hotel in one of the ex-Soviet states (believe me, I have been there and some are actually better than this one).
When we checked in and went to the room, room keys did not work. I went down and got new ones, still did not work. I called down and reception said they were not allowed to come up and open doors. I managed to get them to come up and indeed, they saw it did not work (which I had already figured out myself). They went down again to get new keys.
They upgraded us to a better room, but when we entered the room and saw its decor, I dare only image how bad the original room would have looked. Everything just looked dated and used.
In addition, the room was boiling hot. We could not put the airconditioning on as it was the hotel's policy not to allow this in winter (we were 25 March = spring!). The windows were blocked so you could not open these. Only when an engineer came to disable the secure lock, we could open the window. Considering this was an airport hotel, you can imagine we did not sleep with the noise throughout the night.
Crowne Plaza is supposed to be the second best hotel in the IHG chain. I am a well-travelled person and have stayed in better Holiday Inn Express properties or even private hotels.
I assumed that it would be a good quality hotel and feel cheated over this whole experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NGP_London
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
NGP_London,

Ben J
IHG Care
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cointrin
0.4 km away
Movenpick Hotel & Casino Geneva
1.6 km away
Starling Geneva Hotel & Conference Center
Starling Geneva Hotel & Conferen...
#1 of 2 in Le Grand Saconnex
1.7 km away
NH Geneva Airport
NH Geneva Airport
#2 of 2 in Meyrin

Been to Crowne Plaza Geneva? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK