See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

I have been to this hotel in many years, and as every year I made the effort not to book through booking.com but through the hotel's internet site in order to save them extra fees. I had a question, which I referred via telephone to the hotel. What I got was an advice that no advice can be given because the manager was not there, and that all booking must be done through the website. I called back three times to catch up with the manager, in vain. I all the same booked through their site.
At our arrival we were received with the same attitude, no smile etc., just formalities, no "hello". The rooms are cozy and clean.
Then: A music band played in the hotel restaurant until 23pm. By that time I was a bit disappointed, as I think they should have indicated already at the booking or latest at our arrival that there would be music playing that night, avoiding sleep.
The breakfast used to be rich in earlier years, now reduced to the minimum, however two cheese types were really good, also the ham offered. To get an espresso we had to search for the cleaning person as there was nobody at the breakfast room. The cleaning lady was clearly the most friendly of all staff.
Of course, these are hard times for Swiss tourism, with cost reduction etc., however I think there are cost neutral measures to make a good guest experience, like e.g. a smile or a friendly greeting.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

I have been here every year for a weekend for the last five years and it has been wonderful every single year. The meat they serve is one of the best meat I know. The hotel has a very nice Swiss chalet style and it is very close to the thermal bath. The people are very cheerful and welcoming.

Stayed: August 2015
Reviewed 10 January 2015

Can only speak to the restaurant rather than the hotel. We tend to eat here every time we come to Leukerbad. Typical Swiss décor - cosy and friendly and typically Swiss meals - rostis, fondue etc, but also an excellent pizza menu. good service. Requires booking for busy periods. Prices typical for a resort town.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2014

We have stayed in the Croix Federale several times over the last fifteen years so we have sort of got to know it. Leukerbad is a stop on one of our cross Switzerland expeditions and we usually stay here.
The place is quite small in the old town. It has two restaurants that serve very good food. The bedrooms are quite small but very comfortable. The staff are good and almost over - helpful.
There is no public space, e.g. lounge or public bar and reception is quite crowded. However, if you are looking for all of this there are many places in Leukerbad that can provide this at two or three times the price. This place oozes character - from the building itself to the clientele at dinner (many locals) to mine host the owner.
We like it, keep going back so something has to be right.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 18 September 2014 via mobile

We booked a room via internet, so we didn't know this hotel had rooms. We did eat here and the service and food were very good. They even opened a bottle of our California wine for us. None of us could finish our meals because the servings were so generous. A lot of game on the menu (deer, hare, etc). Very well prepared. We were also slightly loud and obnoxious, and they didn't even say anything.

• Stayed: September 2014