Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews his wife personal touch tea estate excellent hosts an army great food wonderful stay paneer bir billing tucked away take care home made special mention jp horses feisty walks
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2021

Best 3 nights stay in our entire trip of 15 days!
(please Like my review for my effort to keep it so detailed, if you benefit from the inputs here)

In short, must stay for minimum 3 nights or more & worth to stay over a week!, under priced, high quality stay, very good food, interesting nearby activities, very nice property & room, nice hospitality, the best of Bir!

For a detailed informative review, please read below.

LOCATION:
This was a saviour as we checked out early from a highly rated property in Dalhousie and booked Colonel's Resort at last minute. Bir is an amazingly beautiful place and this resort is nestled in the right spot within 20mins walking distance to the paragliding landing station and the Bir tourist spot. Also, close to popular Tsering Jong monastery and the Nyingyang Monastery. Colonel's Resort falls on the way to the paragliding take-off point so the agent can pick you up on the way.

PROPERTY & ROOM:
With just 14 rooms but spread out over a relatively large area. You will get an amazing view of the mountains and so many paragliders flying in the sky. Also, a tea estate is attached to the property. There are quite many beautiful birds that you can spot in the property. Also, there is a bonfire spot and unlike other hotels where they charge for bonfire, here the hosts are generous to light a bonfire every evening!
The rooms are very cosy, decently big and clean. Outside the rooms there is a nice feel with trees and sitting area.

ACTIVITIES:
There are various things to do or places to visit nearby like experience paragliding, see organic farming at the Shunya Farm (do tip the caretaker), visit the pottery village Andretta & try your hands with clay, visit the nearby beautiful monasteries (named above), checkout Dharmalaya, do horse riding at the property, visit the cafes (must visit the Avva's Cafe) & shops (incl. Tibetan shops) near landing area.
Must go for the long morning walk through the beautiful village with Colonel Sir before breakfast and see village life, fruit trees, experience milking the cow, see the stepped farms, etc (Inhale deep all the way)!!!
Also, must go for the trek to the nearby pristine waterfall point and above that to the boulder (overlooking the valley below) where the property staff can take you to have some sandwiches & tea, absolutely worth it!!! (do tip the staff well)

RESTAURANT & FOOD:
The food at Colonel's Resort stands out as a USP of their hospitality. Fresh food cooked with love and high quality organic ingredients. You will not have any guilt feeling with over indulgence. We had all our three meals at the property itself. There is buffet meal available, inform in advance. Evenings are served with tea & cookies in the outside sit out area.

STANDOUTS:
1) ANIMALS - Ginger, an amazingly loving dog who loves to play with all guests. Revathi and Noori are two horses who roam freely in the property. Also, there are cows too. Do buy veggies from the market and feed Revathi, lovely experience! And Ginger will accompany you for the morning walk!
2) FOOD - The hosts/owners of the property stay at the resort too and eat the same food with the guests. Veggies are organic, pure good quality oil, milk & ghee from own cows, etc. The food is like amazing well cooked, tasty and guilt free home cooked food unlike hotel food. We could stay here for even a month eating the same food and yet leave back healthy!
3) HOSTS - Colonel Sir JP Singh, his wife Pratibha Maam, their son Vikramaditya and his wife Kamakshi are the most lovely people we met on our trip. They would ensure every guest is well taken care of and with that personal touch you just feel at home.
4) ACTIVITIES - The morning walk, trek to waterfall and paragliding will remain my favourite memories! Also the evening bonfire!
5) VALUE FOR MONEY - Considering the overall experience, high quality food & comfortable property and hospitality, the price charged is low and is an absolute steal for any traveller! We wanted to cancel our bookings ahead at other places and continue staying here but rooms were not available!!

Perfect place to stay with friends and family, we will be coming again just to be at this resort and bring all my family members too. Would recommend all my friends to visit this place.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2020 via mobile

We went for our anniversary and couldn't have asked for a better trip and stay. Away from the madness of the landing ground, yet close enough for you to walk to the cafes and party places. The resort was quiet, clean and friendly. Evening bonfires were like stories being shared with family.
The food was absolutely great, healthy and home made. We wanted to go on a trek and we're escorted by the young staff members. We were packed with sandwhiches which were more than enough for the 2 of us.
I would say the hospitality was 5 star with the personal touch of an air BNB.
Will go back there soon.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2020

I had the pleasure of re-visiting this very elegant estate after the lockdown. It was so reassuring to see that some things never change - every tiny detail was a reminder of the fact that class and style are not compromised. Thank you all. Stay safe

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2020

I came to colonels resort at the end of October, planning to stay for a week and ending up staying for two! I was looking for a place where I could have a working vacation so I could get away from the city and I got that and much much more.

I had the most wonderful stay that included a very comfortable cottage with the most charming window seat, high speed and reliable internet, piping hot showers, great food, delicious nimbu paani ,morning walks with the Colonel, treks in and around the area, evening bonfires, local tea from their tea gardens and lots of fun playing with their adorable collie, Ginger. There are a lot of sunny, tucked away spots to read a book, watch the birds and just breathe in the heavenly smell of pine trees.

The staff is cheerful and extremely helpful and the Colonel and his lovely wife Pratibha are more than happy to recommend places for you to visit , cafés to eat at and even arrange a paragliding flight for you . Their son Vikram was also kind enough to accompany me on some treks and help me with my bucket list of things to do on my next trip!

As I write this review , my heart is still in Bir and I’m already planning my next visit.

My photos don’t do justice to the place, but are a small glimpse of what’s to come if you stay here !

If you’re reading this and planning a stay, whether short or long ,I cannot recommend it enough.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2020

Rooms are ok not that to talk about.View from the property is not that great as it shows only the valley going down and no snow peaks.

The food is super super expensive,like if you order from a five star.
Quality is ok.

We even cooked the meat ourselves,then too were charged Rs.1200 for three people for a meat dish.

Total stay bill 3000 and total food bill 4500 for a night for three people.

Paneer was 450 for a dish and chicken was 450 for a dish don't know what's the math behind it.

Don't know what was wrong with the owners.Long time in business but a ripoff owner.

Not going there again and not suggesting anyone.

Ps - 10pm is Colonel uncle ka curfew cause the workers need to sleep and go home.Sobyhe guests can only have fun till 10pm on a holiday.Sorry uncle we are not in school and would want to stay up late a little bit.

Waste of money.