This hotel could be good but ….
The hotel has no air-conditioning (not uncommon in Tubingen), but it also does not have shading or adequate ventilation. We were placed in a room on the top floor with windows in the roof and no external sun-shading to speak of – it was like trying to sleep in a greenhouse. For our second night, after complaining, we were moved to another (smaller) room on the same floor, better shading but when the weather broke in the late evening the windows were automatically locked shut so even though it was cooler outside we were still in an oven.
Part of the issue is the design of the stair well and lift shaft which is made of glass (unshaded). This heats up and, of course, the hot air rises from below. There are windows at the top but these are kept shut most of the time so the corridors on the top floor are quite unbearable. We did ask for the windows to be open after the heat was gone from the day but the staff refused as there might be a storm. It was two hours before the storm arrived and even after the storm had gone they remained firmly shut and were still shut when we left the following morning.
Other issues – inadequate staffing meant that restaurant service was very slow (took half an hour just to get some water and a menu and we gave up waiting for the dessert menu); “hot” items at breakfast were stone cold; the owner is clearly rarely present, I also got the strong impression that he does not empower the staff to fix any issues, so they are powerless in his absence. Location is a bit so, so; it is in walking distance of Tubingen, but not if it’s hot and you also want to walk around the town, up to the castle etc. The advertised fruit in the room consisted of one overripe nectarine and an apple that was rotten at the core. The shower was more like standing under a tap than a shower.
The only reasons I’ve given this 2 stars and not 1 is:
- The staff were friendly and polite and much of the time I felt sorry for them as it seemed that they were not “allowed” to meet requests
- We did receive a discount by way of compensation for our experience
Would I stay here again – No! (The only hotel on a two week touring holiday in Southern Germany that I would actively avoid in future).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The privately managed Boutique hotel is a exclusive ambiance combined with a Mediterranean flair. Two spa areas, gym, garden terrace, casual upscale restaurant with live piano music provides you a pleasant stay. Only 10 minutes' walk to the historis center of Tübingen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel La Casa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.