“Cheated at Maritime Hotel on French Mediterranean coast”
Review of Hotel Le Maritime

Hotel Le Maritime
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Argeles-sur-Mer
Lander, Wyoming
“Cheated at Maritime Hotel on French Mediterranean coast”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Taken advantage of in every way at the Hotel Le Maritime in Argeles-sur-Mer, France. One phone call from our room to Germany, that lasted under 5 minutes, cost us 24 Euros!!! The bathroom was so small, I kept hitting my elbows, and the bathroom smelled like old urine from the time we arrived, to after I asked for a special cleaning, to the morning we left. The room is too small for 2 people and 2 suitcases. Not enough towels. And that cost us over 80 Euros for one night. It is only a 2-star. The breakfast was skimpy, lousy and cost too much, compared to all the other hotels we stayed at, from Rouen to Limoges to Carcassonne. One of the front counter staff people, who had never met me, and was not there when I checked in, allowed me to walk in off the beach, take a room key, and simply go upstairs and into my friend's room while she was still at the beach. The room keys are kept where all guests can reach them, and people are encouraged to get their own keys, because the staff person was always too busy to do it for them -- no knowledge on her part of who was taking the keys. The manager doesn't know how to operated the computer, which is the only way she can bill you. She is unreasonable when you complain to her about the condition of room, room rate, telephone bill, etc. Find some other hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to insist that the Tourist Information Center call around to find you a hotel room. They...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wakefield
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Spent 3 nights at this hotel last week. The first 2 nights were peaceful enough but Saturday night was literally a nightmare! We can accept that the local rugby union team Perpignan won their game so the local fans were celebrating and tooting their car horns as they do.But after this finished the nightmare started-little did we know we had picked a hotel where the road traffic was continuous virtually all night-not a minute went by when a vehicle didn't drive past the hotel (many at high speed)and on top of this guests were coming in throughout the night shouting to each other as they went to their rooms without any consideration for people trying to sleep.We finally fell asleep around 6 a.m and woke up exhausted.Don't be fooled by the situation of this hotel-it appears to be in a quiet residential area but is obviously on a main route out of Argeles. Argeles itself is lovely and is just the right size resort without being over commercialised.The only other complaints were the indifference of one of the receptionists-she couldn't smile if she wanted to, and the size of the bathroom-one had to be Houdini to get into the room as the door width was very narrow, and to access the shower you have to be double jointed.When we added the cost of the secure parking (10 euros per night) and the cost of breakfast (8 euros each- a rip-off) to the basic hotel cost of 52 euros we could on reflection have found a better hotel for the same amount of money.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Argeles-sur-Mer hotels

London
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I booked a studio, as we had stayed one of the hotel rooms before and it had been satisfactory. I have to visit Argeles every year as my parents live there, but find it a real strain to find clean & modern accomadation. We have had to turn down appartments with rusty cutlery, lightbulbs hanging by a wire, filthy kitchens, "sweaty" grimy mattresses etc etc. This seems to be the accepted standard, as my dad says that they just come for the sea and sun. These places are never cheap and as I aways explain to the rental agency, we don't live like this in London and will not pay exorbitant rates to live in semi-squalid conditions on our holiday! Apparently, the mayor wrote an open letter in the local paper regarding the appaling standards, but still they come in their 1000s! The beach is beautiful, so clean, but that is not where I lay my head at night. Anyway back to the Maritime. Again there was tears and frustration. The 700euros studio was shabby and very tired looking. Again (this seems to be a common element over there), the shower hose was not attached to the wall, making it awkward to shampoo etc, but the worst thing was the fridge-it didn't work. There was much shrugging of shoulders at reception. They seemed quite bemused that I thought the unattached shower hose was unacceptable and were sorry, but the maintenance man had knocked off for the weekend (in peak season!) and no-one else could help. It was 100 degrees, we were in the most cramped studio with no air-con (this never seems high on their priorities over there) and we couldn't even keep our water cold. They offered to let us keep our food in their kitchen's fridge, but I just wanted a new fridge. The receptionist showed me around some other studios and I pointed out the faults of each one-rusty fridge, mould-ridden shower curtain, dirty tiles, but she was utterly non-plussed. On monday the maintenance guy came and fixed the fridge and shower hose, I asked if I would be offered anything for the huge inconvenience, but this was not to be. I really felt that we were a hindrance to the hotel and was appalled by their disinterested attitude. As my Dad says as long as the tourists keep coming no-one will bother investing money into these horrible properties. I have tried everything there, mobile home, appartment, hotel and if anyone can recommend somewhere spotlessely clean and non-1970s decor, I would be very grateful. I have already booked a 3 star hotel for this August (which we found on our last visit), but I am a little disconcerted by photos I have seen of the bathrooms on a website. Please, if there is anyone who visits Argeles regularly, can anyone help us find decent accomadation?!

Stayed August 2006