See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The title chosen is because from the beginning of making this reservation I should have been suspicious. There was no way of booking through a reservation except with them by email, I was told three different prices for the room with full board, then was not given the price for my children until I gave them the age of my youngest child (10) and then told 10 and over was adult price. Also, the the hotel photos do not look anything like the room or dining room we were in, with the exception of he art behind the front desk. There was no parking, I was told it was because it was an Italian holiday so the town was very busy. I accepted this and the owner was kind enough to drive with me to help find parking. However, it just kept getting worse from there.
I would like to say first that we have been living in a neighboring country for 3 years and have traveled extensively in Europe and this was our 3rd trip to Italy and our 4th hotel so far on this trip.
The room was tiny, we are used to small rooms, but there was barely space to walk, the bathroom was small too, even by european standards. This would have been acceptable, but for 140 euros for the night, it was not. The room decor was sad & dated & looked NOTHING like the photos shown on Tripadvisor or the hotel's website. We could tolerate one night, but not two which we were told was obligatory to book, because of the holiday. WiFi was not free, just the first hour and then a charge for every hour after that. We decided to try and overlook these things and have the nice "Michelin Guide" dinner that they rave about.
WOW the biggest disappointment of all! Dinner was not served in the "nicer" dining room shown in the photos, but that was not a big deal, but then we were not even given a menu and told our choice for starter was soup or pasta, 2 of us had soup and the 3rd had pasta. The soup was made from a powder and the pasta tasted as if the sauce came from a can, not even a jar. Then we were told for the main we had fish or beef, when we asked what type of fish, we were told fried calamari was the only choice, so we ordered one and 2 grilled beef steaks. The calamari was frozen store calamari overcooked and rubbery, the steaks (not an exaggeration) were about 1/2cm thick and a bit overcooked and served with approximately 10 greasy french fries or chips, no sauce, no vegetables. The price they were charging for this meal NOT including drinks was 100 euros! We have eaten better food along the auto route. The people around us looked like they were eating a bit differently. However, all the other people were speaking Italian, but we speak another language fluently (besides english) and the lady spoke that language and the man (husband/owner) speaks fluent english. So it was not a matter of communication, We felt we were being taken advantage of as "unknowing" tourist. This became more obvious when I explained our familiarity with Italy, Italian food and Europe in general. And then they backed off a bit in their argument, which was we were just not familiar with Italian food or europe. The people were "friendly" but friendly like anyone trying to sell you something. We did not stay the 2nd night, but had our breakfast the next day, which was included in the room price. Breakfast was better than dinner, but I guess that's not saying much, since dinner was awful. When we were seated for breakfast, it was at the same table with the same stain from our pasta the night before and the carafe of wine I had ordered the night before. I wish I had taken photos to share, but we were so disappointed we didn't even take the camera out of the bag.

Room Tip: My advice is to skip Varazze altogether and go to Savona
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jakrovers
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is not an hotel... This is a family! Alone with 2 small children I've been super welcomed. Perfect location (30m from the sea), very quite place, rooms are a little bit old but very clean. In the restaurant, you will taste local gastronomia, just like if you were invited in an italian family. It is simple but so yummy! You need anything? Just ask and they will give you. A very very recommended place!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NancyGeiser
Reviewed 10 May 2013

lovely small town with beautiful beach, ristorante, shops and charming hotel in centre of that with very friendly family - Elisa with mamma and papa :)
great breakfast, very clean and comfortable rooms, good location and excellent value for money

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Excellent location - in the city centre, few steps from the beach, very close to the restaurants and shops. At the same time a quiet place, where you can have rest. Great breakfast. Friendly, family atmosphere. Stuff taking care of you. Free wi-fi and excellent value for money.
Perfect place for my relaxing weekend in Varazze.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank julia_oleksijenko
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The real perfection of a hotel, made in nice style, great citchen, wonderfull room service and nice personal. 1 Step from the beach makes the hotel even better. Nice Italian menu with fresh see food every day and big salat buffe.

• Stayed: June 2012