All reviews perfect location active volcano hotel is located booking site nice bar sea facing room small balcony italian hotels short walk from the ferry fresh fruit breakfast room croissants decent breakfast the hotel reception stayed here for two nights boat tour main piazza
Reviewed 28 September 2017

I would like to warn all travelers planning a trip to this charming island. Avoid this hotel by far as the hotel does not return anything if the island is inaccessible due to bad weather (which is not that uncommon here as I have realized), and not even amount agreed up-front!

Here is my story. I have booked the accommodation for myself, my wife and our 2 children. Paid 177 EUR for 1 night. In the conditions was stated that cancellation fee is also in the day of arrival in amount of max 50% (88,5 EUR). As the island is accessible only by a ferry, we have arrived to port in Melazzo (one of the few entry gates for the island) around noon, with plenty of time allowance to get one of 3 ferries scheduled for the afternoon. Soon after we were informed that all remaining ferry connections were cancelled for that day due to rough sea conditions. I have called the hotel for information whether there is some other transport alternative, but there was not. Nothing else that day, not even by some other ferry company. Simply no way to get to the Stromboli island on that day afternoon. I have cancelled my reservation right away, stated the reasoning and received confirmation that I will be charged 88,6 EUR for late cancellation. Later I have asked the hotel to consider the full refund as the island was completely inaccessible and there was not a single word mentioning this risk on the hotel website. Hotel rejected by stating that ferries were "according to their observations" arriving all day. So I have asked the ferry company to send me formal confirmation that all ferry connections to Stromboli island were cancelled that day and that island was inaccessible. They did confirm that right away. I have also found out that this ferry connection cancellation is quite common for high-speed ferries when the weather is not good. I forwarded the confirmation to the hotel, and since then the hotel went silent, not answering any of my emails.

Now it is almost 4 weeks since the planned stay in the Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli. My credit card is still charged by the FULL AMOUNT of 177 EUR despite hotel should return me without any discussion 88,6 EUR right away. I have never met with such an unfair approach of hotel staff towards clients. I strongly suggest to all travelers taking a risk by planning a stay in this hotel to get a written confirmation that hotel will return full amount if the ferry connection will be cancelled, and will strongly advice not to pay anything up-front as the risk of not getting there is very real. And the hotel apparently does not respect much the agreed terms once the accommodation is paid! Will never go there again, and will advise all my friends planning to visit Stromboli to avoid this hotel by far!!! Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli – NEVER NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Sorry, it was not possible to get there.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Tomas K
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Staff are over tourism. Such a pity. The waitresses, bar staff and check in staff were all a little bit over customers in general. Not a nice feeling at all. The hotel is located just near the port which is ideal. Rooms are hot you need to use AC even in mid September. It would have been a much better experience if the staff were happier.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful 3 night stay at hotel ossidiana, it's well located near the main port and is easy walking distance to all sites on the island. The hotel is good with comfortable beds, bathroom facilities and a fantastic al fresco bar out the front of the hotel. Breakfast was well catered and was enjoyed by all. Overall would be happy to return and stay again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Be wary of booking at this hotel. They offer FREE CANCELLATION on Booking.com, but when you cancel your booking they still charge you the full amount. I am still waiting for a refund, and they claim I simply did not show up.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lailafamiliar
OssidianaStromboli, Direttore at Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear Guest, we are very sorry that you couldn’t stay in our hotel.
Unfortunately we had to apply the penalty as written in the reservation of Booking.com: cancellation is free of charge up to 15 days before date of arrival and in case of no show or late cancellation of arrival will be charged the total amount of your stay.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you to our hotel in the near future.
Best Regards,
The Director, Hotel Ossidiana of Stromboli

Reviewed 16 July 2017

First of all, it's literally a few hundred feet from the port, so you can easily walk here once you get off your ship from the mainland. I had a sea-facing room with a small balcony, A/C, plenty of closet space, and a queen and single (twin-size) bed. The bathroom was small, with no bidet (who knew you would get used to this luxury!), a small (by US standards) shower (30"x30" maybe?) and non-potable water running from the faucets. Plenty of individual soap and shower gel although i like to travel with my own. The A/C worked well, which is very important to me when returning from the brutally hot, Sicilian afternoon sun. Nice, clean room, towels and bedsheets. Wifi signal was super strong; excellent for kids wanting to stream movies during the hot afternoon break time.

We had breakfast included which was very nice. Tasty scrambled eggs, well-done bacon and all the other typical, cold Italian breakfast items were included; sliced deli meats and cheeses, cookies, cereals, bread, pizza, mini rice balls, cornetti (Italian croissants) filled with pastry custard or jams, coffees and juices, etc.
The hotel has a bar/restaurant serving coffee, drinks and light meals, discounted for hotel guests. We enjoyed a complimentary aperitif drink served with potato chips, peanuts and a tiny pizza, the way many bars throughout the country serve their drinks. We thoroughly enjoyed this.

Right out front from the hotel there is a row of local boat excursion guides who offer trips around the island etc. I chose the captain right out front (let's just call hime A.C.) who knew the islands well and is an experienced sailor with a lovely small covered boat. Then there's the main strip, Via Roma, a few hundred feet behind the hotel. It's a narrow street strewn with shops and eateries that leads to the main piazza in from of the church. What a beautiful view of the town from there!

It's a beachfront property, but the black, sandy and lavic-stone beach is loaded with all kinds of boats of all sizes that either belong to locals or are rentable. Plenty of tractors on the beach also to load and unload the larger vessels. The black sand is not volcanic ash, but black sand. It looks dirty on your feet and skin, but it's not. The water is clean and clear and gets pretty deep right away as this volcano rises out from the sea. there's a beach area on the other side of the port with hardly any boats on it, and various other beach facilities on the island.

We enjoyed our hotel stay here very much. The service was friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Front room with the sea view may be too noisy because of the ape-cars, tourists, and you're above the bar-cafe outdoor seating area.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank salEdawgz
OssidianaStromboli, Proprietario at Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Thank you for your nice review. I am so pleased that you had a great stay with us . The team are thrilled about your comments as they all work extremely hard to ensure you have a fantastic time. They are always on hand should you need anything from restaurant bookings to maps of the area, or simply directions of the local area.
Thank you for your compliments towards the good position of the hotel and our service.It is our pleasure to have looked after you.
This morning , I have shared your review with my team and they are all delighted with your amazing feedback.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.