Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Stromboli Volcano
1,485 results
All reviews boat trip hiking boots lava flow hard work pizza head torch one night amazing experience once in a lifetime worth the effort three hours top deck black sand walk up euros per person coming down volcanic ash
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

It's important to remember when planning a visit that the volcano is a natural spectacle, it's not completely predictable. Check the INGV website to look at their webcams to see what's happening. The volcano goes through phases of erupting every 20 minutes to sometimes very small eruptions much less frequently.

It's worth trying to spend a few days here to maximise your chance of seeing some good eruptions. Also in stormy weather boats can't land so allow some contingency in case you can't arrive when you plan to or leave when you want to.

It's a wonderful place for a holiday. The beaches are black sand but the sea is crystal clear and clean. The villages are quiet, there is virtually no traffic, there are no street lights so the stars are very visible. Walk up to the viewpoints at 120m, 290m and 400m above sea level for the best views - you don't need to take a guided trek to the summit to see the volcano erupting.

3  Thank Glyn T
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We took a boat from Millazo which firstly stopped off at Panarea and then made it's way to Stromboli where it docked at one of the two villages San Bartolo and San Vincenzo to one side of the island. After exploring the villages we returned to the boat and left to see the Sciara del Fuoco ("stream of fire") and hopefully some plumes of lava as the volcano is constantly erupting and known as the "Lighthouse of the Mediterranean". Wow I was not disappointed and saw the volcano spew out lava twice in huge orange plumes from it's crater. A truly wondrous site and something I have wanted to see all my life. Another tick on my bucket list.

6  Thank cris P
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

There are several guide companies, I hiked with Magmatrek. They were very responsive and simple to work with. They divide the groups by languages which is helpful for a solo traveler like me. They keep the groups small which helps with the speed to the trek up. I am a novice hiker and felt they prepared me for this type of hike. FYI... you can hire boots and gear. If you have not a use to own (or cart) hiking belongings with you, I recommend you rent. Also, the hike down is very sandy... and I mean... VERY. Buy the gators to keep the sand out. The amount of sand dumped from my boots is unimaginable.

If you are physically capable and on the fence, do it! If you are physically on the fence, check with magmatrek in advance. If you think the logistics are too much, do it!
The basics your need to know..
1. Get to be island by 12 pm the day of your hike. If you can, come in the night before and enjoy stomboli.
2. You need to stay the night (plenty of hotels and airBnb.
3. You can rent equipment
4. Libery is the ferry line.. very easy.
5. Bring a map with you and get CLEAR directions BEFORE arriving - cell service is questionable.

This climb was much more demanding than expected.. but worth every drop of sweat.

9  Thank GenaBeanThere
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Last stop on the Aeolian islands boat tour. The vulcano erupts every 15-20 mins approx. We went on a clear night and the backdrop sky was a blanket of stars ..... beautiful.

3  Thank Londontraveller653
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

We fell in lo r with island of Stromboli and its active volcano which offers to visitors an almost continuous spectacle with regular eruptions. The town is gorgeous and offers great bars and restaurants, the local people were really friendly and made us feel special in several occasions. I would not recommend the excursion to the summit of the volcano to those not used to trekking as it can be quite demanding, especially in hot temperatures. Overall it was a magical experience and one that I hope to repeat in the future.

3  Thank H2Region