“Special night; special place”
Review of Zass Restaurant

Zass Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 92 Restaurants in Positano
Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Zass is one of those restaurants that is a "destination": special food, special service, special setting. But it is not for the cost-conscious.

My wife and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary at Zass. The cocktails and sunset view of Positano on the terrace are sublime. Dinner was innovative and tasty; a nice slice of pizza with local cheese was given to all diners after their order was placed. The staff are attentive, friendly, but non-intrusive.

My wife and I both shared an appetizer/salad; we then each ordered the pasta with lobster and lemon. Both were outstanding. Desserts are interesting and well done; unlike what you might see in top end restaurants, the dessert portions are of decent size. Because it was our anniversary, the manager threw in an additional special dessert plate for sharing.

Then, of course, comes the bill. All of this (including 2 glasses of wine, water, and coffee) totaled 209 Euro. On most planes, no meal is worth that amount of money and this one is no exception. Still, for those for whom price is not a major consideration or who are looking to celebrate a special occasion, Zass will fill the bill handsomely,

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Service, menu, drinks, view...everything is so perfect. Make sure to order the beetroot gonichi it will change your life. Really this place is unreal.

1  Thank caroline o
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We visited Zass with friends. It's a beautiful restaurant in a stunning location. The service is terrific. The food is beautifully cooked and presented but is not overly exciting. I guess, seeing as the clientele seems to be retired Americans, that they are trying not to "spook the horses" but for me, it was way "too safe". The following night we ate at Le Agavi's "Le Serra", and the food was on another level. Certainly go for the experience, but it isn't cheap and the food isn't that good.

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

If you want to spoil yourself, this is where to do it. The views of Amalfi are breathtaking. Always live background music. Stunning dining area. Staff are attentive. Menu is what you would expect from a renowned 5 star hotel. You need to take a full wallet, but it is worth every cent.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I use "poor" in the context that this is still an exceptional restaurant, but for a Michelin...

The amuse is still the slice of pizza. Ours was warm not hot when it arrived. Maybe this was inventive in 2002 but it feels tired and frankly there was nothing special about it. (Mamma on Capri also serves pizza as it's amuse and theirs is magnificent) The tartar was one of the beast dishes I've ever eaten. Everything else we ate was simply "fine". The sommelier was on point but I felt like everything else from the waiters to the vibe were just not what I expect from such an exceptionally rated restaurant. The John Dory was overly "lemony" in a way that had me pursing my lips after certain bites. The scorpion fish was chewy, which I'll agree is its tendency. Dessert was uninspired.

It's true that you should come at least an hour before your reservation to enjoy an excellent cocktail outside with one of the best views in the country.

The hotel itself is a bit stuffy- old Italian/hollywood that strikes me as a little creepy. But when I think about the effort involved in any sort of work done to a cliff side hotel I can see why it is a bit tired. The restaurant still has stools table side for your purse...

1  Thank gt3rd