All reviewsthe busa great family run hotelyogurtsea viewbreakfast roomnice breakfasthotel barnarrow streetsgreat showercold cutshalf waybeach areaamalfi coastamazing viewswalk upmain beachhill
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Great views from the hotel and a nice place to relax and enjoy peaceful views. The staff are warm and friendly. Plus breakfast included everyday. The internal drinks and snacks are very affordable as well.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

We booked with Air Transat vacations. We were supposed to stay at another hotel but unfortunately got changed to Il Gabbiano. The reception was not very welcoming. There was a mixup with vouchers and we didn't get them emailed to us. Lady at reception was not very helpful. She was annoyed. Our room was ok but had no privacy on patio. Our breakfast was very minimal compared to the hotel in Sorrento that we had just spent 4 days at. I would not hurry back here. The day of departure, we had a pick up time of 7am. Breakfast started at 8am. There wasn't even an offer of coffee. Very cool send off. Better places to stay I'm sure!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2016

I have to say having read the reviews after we had booked our 3 night stay I was starting to worry !! Well no reason at all our room was basic but so very clean , the view was just breathtaking ok the beds were slightly on the firm side but certainly not hard .breakfast was adequate, we slept really well especially having walked so many steps around Positano . The staff were all very friendly and helpful . For our first visit in Positano we were all delighted and will be back

Room Tip: Go for the room with balconies and sea views
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank KayClackworthy
Reviewed 29 August 2016

We booked this hotel due to the promise of a terrace with sea view. The terraces are not really private as they are only separated by some wrought iron fencing and wicker fencing. At the end of these are ropes that do not provide any privacy and you can look along all the terraces. Our particular room was at one end of the run and did not have a sea view unless you stood up. Couldn't see anything from the lounger or chair. This was due to the concrete planter obscuring the view. All other rooms had the said wrought iron railings that you could actually see the sea through.
The room itself was basic. It did not have an in room safe so beware. I would have thought these would be standard by now. Beds were rock hard.
Our booking agent, Booking.com, advertised a minibar. I would expect this to be in the room however all we had was an empty fridge that basically stopped things getting warm but didn't chill anything. One day I asked for ice and was sold a disposable ice pack for 1 euro which started to melt about 2 minutes after putting in fridge.
The breakfast was pretty basic and the coffee was bitter. maybe that's the way they like it.
As it was August and we didn't book until June we paid what I think is a premium price for what is a modest 3 star at best, 200 euros per night (@£170).
On reflection, I'd have paid more and stayed at a 4 star (but hey, no guarantees there either!)

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan2209
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited Positano as part of our month-long trip around Europe, and Il Gabbiano was our most expensive stop. Understandably, we were looking forward to comfortable beds and good night sleep. We were beyond disappointed.

Now, the hotel itself is nice: views from the balcony are amazing, breakfast food is nice, staff are friendly, rooms are clean.

The walls, however, are not just "paper thin": it feels like they're actually MADE from paper. We could hear everything that was going on in the neighboring rooms, above us, below us and outside. Not only was it not possible to sleep (I'm a sensitive sleeper, my boyfriend-the opposite. Neither of us was lucky enough to get more than 5 hours of sleep per night), sometimes we could barely hear ourselves talk-especially during breakfast hours, when the entire hotel gathers in the breakfast room.

I rated the hotel as poor because essentially, a hotel is a place to spend the night for a tourist who is done exploring for the day. When a hotel fails to fulfill its most basic function, in my eyes it cannot get a higher rating. They could at least provide free earplugs, given how much it costs to stay there.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple