“I love this hotel!”
Review of Hotel Villa Ottone

Hotel Villa Ottone
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Portoferraio
Reviewed 21 September 2011

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. It reminds one of being transported into the 1920's, 1930's- with the evening 5 course meals, waiters in white tuxedos, piano bar in the evenings. It was just a magical place. I wouldn't bother going to any of the other restaurants on the island, as we tried one night and were dissapointed. Villa Ottone is someplace we will definitely return to! Can't wait.

The only thing I would say, is that we stayed in the main hotel, not the villa or the cottages, and the rooms had obviously not been done up in some time. this didn't bother us, but for honeymoons and more special occasions I would recommend staying in the villa or cottage. Oh and definitely go for the half board.

Room Tip: Go for the half board! Stay in the Villa if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We have just come back from 1 week holiday in Villa Ottone.
It's a very beautiful place, great position near Portoferraio, Capoliveri, Porto Azzurro and all the beautiful beaches.
The Villa is elegant, and very romantic at sunsets with the piano bar and great drinks.
The restaurant is in the hotel building, which is behind the Villa, and is situated in the park. Dinner was so good that we didn't even go to other resturants on the island for the entire holiday! Service is excellent in the restaurant and in the room, except for the hostess at the reception desk: they seemed always annoyed when were asked about something and never smiled. Just one girl out of four was really nice and gentle.
I had a massage in the spa and it was great, even if I was 8 months pregnant the massagist found the appropiate massage for me.
The swimming pool is clean and nice with its view on the bay.
The private beach is little but comfortable because was never crowded, you have your own umbrella and sunbeds, there is a great bar, water is beautiful as in the other beaches of the island, even if here there are rocks and just a few sand, so it's better to wear shoes. In my opinion the staff should take care better of the beach, of the showers and of the sunbeds. This is the only negative thing I can point out.
We were in the cottage, very nice location in the park, clean, comfortable in space (even if the bathroom was very little, but it has a nice and big shower!). The bad thing was the bed: I had pain in my back for the all week, I thought was due to my pregnancy status so I didn't tell anything at the reception, but it was very hard to sleep. Our room maker was so nice to provide something harder to put under the mattress, but this didn't improve very much the situation. (when I came back home the pain in my back desappear, so i can surely say it was due to the bed!).
There is also a nice kid club with a girl entertaining kids and a lots of toys!
At the end of the week we wanted to stay 2 more days because we loved the place so much, but we decided to go home because of my status.
We will definetly come back again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aleponti
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed 5 nights on Elba at Villa Ottone which somebody had recommended to us. The hotel is 5 star, we thought parts were 5 star and parts were more 4 star.
The Villa itself is beautiful with a great terrace overlooking the bay and you can enjoy the sunset while sipping your cocktail. We stayed in cottages behind the hotel. The bathroom was nice, but the room was somewhat simple and small. Not really 5 star.
The dinners were included in our room rate. Every evening we ate at the hotel and it was great. Enough choice and partly a buffet. With exceptional service.
The pool was fine. I especially loved being on the beach. The hotel has a private beach it is a bit rocky but I had nice swims.
Also there is a wellness. We used the hammam and I had an excellent massage. I also tried the yoga in the morning and that was nice too.
The kids tried the tennis court; they didn't think it was very good. They also used the table tennis.

Room Tip: It seems the best rooms are in the villa itself. With kids you are probably better off in the cotta...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed for 5 nights in the second week of June, in the Villa building in two adjoining hotel rooms and had a fantastic restful vacation. Full board is a greta value and you will not find better dining on the island. Our two duaghters 12, 14 have pretty complex food alllergies and the Maitre D' and Chef were fantastic in accommodating us. Housekeeping was very good and the beach and bar staff very friendly and helpful.
Spend the time in advance to communicate with hotel staff about your needs and they will take care of you....Piano bar is a treat...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I went on honeymonn as my husband and I had just gotten married in Italy so we thought it would be good to stay on. After four wonderful days in Florence (Hotel Golden Tower) we continued onto Elba. When we arrived I didn't realise that it wasn't in Portoferraio at all...this could be my own fault though for not researching the location enough, it costs €30 to take a taxi to the hotel.

When we arrived we were shown to our rooms. The lift /elevator was tiny and smelled. The corridors were terrible and badly lit and when we finally reached our room it was small and the air-con didn't work, lets just say our hearts sank. I don't normally put such emphasis on a room but this was our honeymoon we were paying €350 a night for a "superior" room and we wanted it to be special. It was so bad that I complained right away and told them I was checking out the next day!! They offered us another room...a loft room without ANY air-con so we stuck with the original room and planned on checking out.

That evening we ate at the hotel as we had no other option but this is where things pick up...the food and service were amazing, when we finished we walked down to the private beach and then back up to sit on the veranda of the main villa and all this was again amazing as it felt quiet special. The following morning they offered us a junior suite at no extra cost (the previous evening they said I could change and pay to which I told them that wasn't exactly an offer) so we viewed the room and put into prespective what came with the hotel (food /service /nice evening setting) and stayed. We rented a car for two of the days and drove around but there really wasn't much to see in Elba and it was over-run with tourists (something I wasn't expecting).

If you do stay go with the full-board option of breakfast and dinner, its such good value and is €25PP, which we wouldn't have found anywhere else for the food we received.

So all in all we had a good stay in the end, but feel we wasted the first day checking other hotels for availability and feeling frustated, I wish they had of offered the Suite to us then. The staff are all amazing and couldn't do enough to help us and the SPA is pretty good too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cailinbearla
Veronique-di-Mario, Direttore at Hotel Villa Ottone, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

We can understand our guests’ dismay if they thought they had booked in the town of Portoferraio: the location of Villa Ottone on the island of Elba (12 km from Portoferraio, surrounded by a long-established park with a private beach) is stated very clearly on our website.
Position: Villa Ottone enjoys one of the best positions on the island of Elba; the Counts Toscanelli chose to build the Villa there because it is very sheltered, particularly from the Sirocco wind, and in the evening the sun sets in front of the Villa, behind the old fortifications of Portoferraio, an unforgettable sight mentioned in all the holiday guides; the particular location allows the beach to be used in even in the late afternoon.
Lift: we agree with these guests that our lift is small; built in 2000, it was fitted into a small column within the historic Villa, built in 1850. The lift serves the 1st and 2nd floors.
Corridors: the Villa actually does not have corridors:
On the 1st floor, the attractive landing is fenced by an original balustrade that opens onto the Villa’s antique main staircase. On the left and right, there are two small entrances that can be shut off with a soundproof door when a guest wishes to book a suite and a Prestige room to provide their family group with additional space and privacy.
The layout on the 2nd floor, where these guests stayed, is along the same lines; the landing is fenced by a balustrade and there are two small entrances on the right and left. By closing the entrance door, our guests are able to book one large de Luxe room and one small de Luxe room – on the left, a large de Luxe room communicating with another small de Luxe room and a small de Luxe room.
The groups of rooms described above can be combined to form luxurious apartments with a panoramic view of the Gulf of Portoferraio.
Rooms: our guest stayed on the 2nd floor of the Villa, but they are mistaken in describing the room they booked as “Superior” (the “Superior” rooms are in the hotel, in the heart of the park).
Since we are eager to provide future guests with full, clear information, our website carries a precise description of each room, together with a large photograph:
The room the young couple booked is described as follows: “small de Luxe room with panoramic sea view” or "panoramic view of the park", 2nd floor, Villa. These small de Luxe rooms, recently renovated like the other rooms and Suites in the Villa, are decorated and equipped with the same care as all the other rooms in the Villa, which however are certainly larger in size.
Air-conditioning system: the weather conditions during our guests’ stay were particularly extreme; temperatures rose to above 40 degrees, and the percentage of humidity in the air was very high. These conditions probably reduced the effectiveness of the air-conditioning system; in exceptional circumstances of this kind we advise guests to take care not to open and close the windows too often, as this further reduces the system’s performance.
“Loft room”: the loft split was in perfect working order. The only possible explanation is that since the device is remote controlled, it had been switched off in error.

Since we wished to give our guest satisfaction, we offered an additional alternative, at no extra cost: a “Junior Suite” with view of the park, on the first floor of the Villa (it is on the right of the 1st floor landing of the Villa, with the same entrance as on the 2nd floor, where the young couple initially stayed; it also opens onto a “Prestige” room). This Suite, decorated and equipped to a high standard of refinement like the rest of the Villa, comprising a bedroom with private sitting room, both with frescoes, can be combined with the prestigious “Colombe” room to form a “de Luxe Suite”.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portoferraio
7.7 km away
2.9 km away
Resort le Picchiaie
Resort le Picchiaie
#19 of 25 in Portoferraio

Been to Hotel Villa Ottone? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK