All reviews infinity pool cooking class our honeymoon tuscan countryside beautiful grounds four courses wonderful restaurant breakfast and dinner wine tasting olive trees euros per person pasta short drive a wonderful place to stay cakes day trip yogurt
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My husband & I just returned from our first two week trip to Italy; Rome, Florence and two locations in Tuscany. We had done lots of research beforehand, and were quite excited to arrive at Villa Cicolina, which exceeded our expectations in every way. This is a magical, beautiful place; the photos of the infinity pool illustrate how it is situated on the edge of the hill leading up toward Montepulciano -- the views from the olive grove walking toward this lovely pool go on forever and ever. There are lovely little outbuildings for lounging, and dining, many place to stop and sit outside and inside, candles twinkling everywhere at night and unparalled views during the day. The interior is charming as well with gorgeous 500 plus year old frescoes in the office that seem fresh enough to have been painted yesterday. The wine cellar below is in caves which are much older -- very cool. Our room was up in the attic with a view towards the town, very charming, comfortable bed, the skeleton key was a little tricky to begin with, but my husband got the hang of it after a day or two!
I have to say that the staff was gracious beyond any possible expectations; Sayed and Alijah had been most helpful even before we arrived, and were truly two of the most polite, pleasant, kind people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Just absolutely delightful, and made our stay so much more comfortable because of their kindness. We scratched our car in the small parking lot, and they took care of moving it for us from that moment forward; my husband wasn't feeling well one day, and Sayed made me a pizza, and was just genuinely concerned and helpful. The housekeeping staff and our waiter at dinner were also very friendly and extremely welcoming, which makes a huge difference when you are visiting a foreign country.
The town of Montepulciano was one of our favorite of the many that we visited in Tuscany, it is a nice size, lots of shops, both clothing and wine, near the bottom of the hill on the side closest to the hotel, the views are absolutely fantastic, we found a nice restaurant there one evening, underneath the cafeteria, which has wonderful views -- great food and service here too. The people in this town were really just very friendly, we loved it.
Oh, we also ate at Villa Cicolina one evening in the little outbuilding and it was great -- four courses, the first was a riboletta which we are still dreaming about. Don't miss this chance to have another unforgettable moment in one of the loveliest spots on earth -- we can't wait to go back!!

4  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 28 October 2011

This is one of the nicest places I have stayed in in a long time. It wasn't the "fanciness", although everything was very very nice. It was the little touches and the attention to detail along with the attitude of the staff. The grounds are beautiful, the views are amazing, and the staff jumps through hoops to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Our Jr suite was large and comfortable with beautiful views out of every window. It was old Tuscan feeling, but nicely appointed with simple and fast wi-fi, a very comfortable bed, and a delicious breakfast buffet loaded with home-made jams and pastries. The online pictures don't do it justice.

3  Thank wandererafar
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in Villa Cicolina (Junior Suite) for 2 nights, our final stay on our Tuscany trip this October. Our suite was decorated beautifully with a lovely canopy bed and the view from the small balcony was stunning. The furnishings are in keeping with an old Italian villa, but there are modern conveniences (wi-fi, TV). A buffet breakfast is served across the way and is included in the rate. The grounds are very well kept and the views from the pool are just amazing. The villa is just a 5 minute (if that) drive to Montelpulciano so very conveniently located if you are visiting the town. Our only complaint is that there were no wine glasses or wine opener in the mini-bar (or wine for that matter). Considering that many visitors will be buying wine, we thought that was odd. Separately, there was a note in the guest reference book stating that no outside food or beverage was permitted in the room. A bit silly. All in all, we would recommend the villa.

4  Thank MiffysPillowBook
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I and my wife stayed 3 nights at Villa Cicolina.

As all the rooms in the hotel were occupied we stayed in a cottage meant for 4 persons. The cottage was very rustic - with only a few old chairs, beds etc. but very charming.
The view from the cottage was beautiful. To see Tuscany in te morning mist is unbeliveable...
The hotel has a small restaurant that serves local food. There is only a set menu so I was a bit lost because I actually "hate" pastas, pizzas etc... But that is my problem ...not the hotels. My wife said that the food was excellent. And the staff went out of their way to please us.
So - all in all - we had a great time.
Montepulciano is a great small city - lots of beautiful buildings and restaurants. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank torbenDenmark
Reviewed 19 September 2011

A great hotel experience starts and ends with the staff. The staff at Villa Cicolina could not have been nicer. Having had a nightmare hotel experience in Rome, and a family mutiny, I was very concerned about going to anything less than a 5 star property in Tuscany. I requested picture upon picture of our suite at Villa Cicolina and probably drove them a bit crazy - but they could not have been nicer and more accomodating.

The pictures were in fact beautiful as was our suite. The beds were excellent; the bathroom was very well appointed and the food was very good. The property is lovely and the view over the valley surrounding Tuscany is one of the reasons why you would go to Tuscany.

The pool was fairly large and very relaxing. While not every piece of furniture was brand new, certainly the pool was up the same high standard as the rest of the hotel and its well kept grounds.

This was a delightful place and a bargain versus other so-called 4 star hotels and on par with some 5 star hotels we have stayed at over the years.

Everyone we spoke with who was staying there loved the place which is impressive.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family