All reviews free parking great location recommended hotel comfortable accommodations main square recommend this hotel to anyone narrow streets the owner air conditioning rooms are small reserved parking friendly hotel exploring the area good size spacious apartment cold cuts wine tasting
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Just don't do it - or at least think REAL hard before you do.

I have to say, I've travel a lot and this was one of the worse rooms I've ever stayed in. Maybe we just got their crappiest room. I don't know. Because it seems that other reviews for this hotel are good so I'll preface my review with don't accept room 110 (110 or 101, first room on left at the top of the stairs) The room was small, dark and smelled bad. Only one window which opened into a common patio area of sorts, so we couldn't leave the window open when we went out or slept. The bathroom was tiny and old. The shower was miniature. The handle on the shower door was broken. There was mold on the sides of the shower. The drain in the sink was nasty. The walls are paper thin so you can literally hear the people in the surrounding rooms (yes that's plural!). No air conditioning.

On the positive side: the front desk clerks were extremely friendly and helpful, free parking (if you can find it) and the location is awesome.

Overall, I was really disappointed because Tuscany has so many charming hotels and BNBs and we chose this place. Anyway, I will never stay there again. I hope anyone who does stay there in the future has better luck with their room than we did.

Room tip: Do not accept room 110 - first room on the left at top of stairs.
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

Initially had a hard time finding the parking lot. Never found it until Allessio drew us a map when we checked in. More detailed instructions prior to arrival would have been appreciated - drive through the gate and your 3rd driveway on your right park there etc etc. The GPS was not helpful as it just took us to the street not the exact lot. Regardless, the walk from the lot to the hotel was not too long and was flat. We ended up just walking our luggage from the lot to the hotel so not bad. Since the upper part of town is quiet and sound echos we felt awkward rolling our 3 bags on the stone streets. Loud Americans here we are!

The room was larger than some rooms we have stayed in Italy. The bathroom was super small and really was my only issue. We are not large people and had a tough time. The shower was impossible to use. Wedge yourself sideways and which ways and find the perfect medium. Forget shaving your legs if you are a lady. No hair conditioner so ladies if you need conditioner bring your own. No lotion either.

The breakfast were pastries, cold cuts, fruit, cereal. It was perfect and just enough to fill up before exploring the area and having a nice lunch someplace .

The location was great at the top of town and a short walk to the piazza. Also close by was Osteria del Conte. We ate there 3 times. Beware the good restaurants close at 2:30 or 3 and don’t reopen until 7 or 7:30 so plan your meals accordingly.

Just down the hill is the Cantine De’Ricci caves. This was one of the coolest things we have seen and what an unexpected treat. I won’t explain it you will have to discover for yourself! It’s free so even more perfect.
Up the other direction from the hotel (make a right out the hotel door and walk up to the large stone building) is a wine tasting spot that is modern and you have dozens of different wines to try (self serve) and can sit outside overlooking the valley. The floors were glass and underneath were ancient Etruscan ruins. It was surreal to be sipping wine and look down on these ruins.
We wish we would have found this wine tasting area sooner. Tastings are 1 or 2 euros depending on what you try and full glasses (not as full as you’d like!) are 6 or 9 euros. Whites, roses, reds. The view outside is fantastic. Not sure if you can bring in a sandwich or snack - if yes then this is a great spot to hang for awhile.

Montepulciano is one of our favorite Italian towns - the people are friendly, the town is quaint (be prepared to walk uphill), it was so quiet, the restaurants were great and we would definitely stay at Albergo Duomo again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sctrojangal
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Our stay at the Albergo Duomo was a wonderful experience. Saverio checked us in and helped with our bags as we went up one floor to our room. Our room was over the main access points to the city so it was a bit noisy with the window open. We could have closed it and used the AC but chose not to as the fresh Tuscany air was worth it. The room was small as others have stated but it was all that was needed for us as seasoned travelers. I liked the breakfast and the fresh coffee, cappuccino, or espresso provided was great. Saverio was a fountain of knowledge on the area as he helped us plan our day trips to other hill towns and wineries in that part of Tuscany. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Montepulciano.

Room tip: Higher floor rooms may be quieter.
Reviewed 5 September 2018

The location for this hotel couldn't be better - its right at the top of the city within walking distance to everything.
The free parking (although we did get lost trying to find it) was a very good added bonus to this hotel. It is around a 5 minute walk from the hotel, but in a safe private location.
There was breakfast available for 5 euros however we did not get breakfast at the hotel.
The room was small but had everything you need - a fridge, a safe, air conditioning.
The staff were really friendly and helpful.
I would recommend staying in this hotel if you are visiting the area.

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Great staff. They waited for me as I was late and had lost my way and my sat Nav was misdirecting me. Gentleman at reception so kind. Helped me to park my car. Despite the fact I had kept him waiting until midnight. Lovely clean rooms. Spartan but authentic Italian. Great location. I was able to walk around the streets late and let myself in with a code for the key pad. I had a wonderful sleep

Date of stay: August 2018