“Good venue, excellent location but with some buts...”
Review of Montorio

Montorio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 July 2016

Montorio is a beautiful venue with a 360 view of Montepulciano. The location is amazing as it's located on the top of the hill with 20 minutes walk to the city centre and different wine tasting places.

The room we stayed in had a smell as if hadn't been used in a while, my fiance had to open all the doors and windows to get some ventilation and sunlight in, there were tons of spider webs between wooden frames on the ceiling and some windows. There were few mosquitos as well, whose bites were big and painful.

The good part was that the sheets were clean, toilet was clean and we were provided with a little basket for breakfast. The owner was pleasant during the check in time and we were impressed with her recommendation tips for restaurants and things to do in town, we were told the check out time was between 10:30 and 11am latest, which was fine until the next morning. We were half packed and and ready to leave by 11am when she came in at 10:30 and started poking her head asking us when we were leaving. At 10:50 she basically stood outside our room looking at what we were doing, came in whist my fiance was packing to look into the kitchen ( which was left clean and all used dishes were washed. This is keeping in mind that all our bags were already in the car and my fiance was making the bed and putting last bits and pieces into her handbag.

This left us uncomfortable as we had to rush and had the feeling that we had to get out, just to confirm there weren't people standing outside ready to check in or anything and we were leaving at the given time. I understand if we were running around unpacked or still sleeping which would have caused a delay, but this was not the case.

My advise to future visitors, bring your own anti mosquito spray and leave by 10am to avoid an unpleasant attitude.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PQ971
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Dear PQ971,
thank you to have been in MOntorio for one night on july 12 , for the positive comment and the negative ones.
I think is important to aswer at the review , it is respectful for all the guest who take their time to write and to give another point of view .
As you know montorio has apartments with kitchen and is not an hotel. I have a check in from 4 pm and check out at 10.30am, but when possible I try to be flexible as I did for your arrival time. Before guest arrival I ask at what time you think to arrive and according to your request of an earlier arrive I did not hesitate and check in was at 2.00pm
Since I manage also an boutique hotel normally I am not in MOntorio the morning of check out, but that morning I came to do the check out for another couple that I couldn't see the afternoon before.
It was passed 11 when you left, I enter in the apartment only when you left it and it was empy no bags inside, I will never allow me to enter with guest in and I do not think is strange to go inside for a quick check wich consist on turn off the light if on, or A/C for example.
Then your girlfriend came back because you didn't find the car keys, for a final check .
- About mosquitos: you have choosen accomodation in Tuscany in the country side and in summer, it is possible that there are some , but all the apartments have air condition and with windows closed they do not came in.
- from your description seems the apartment was terrible dirty and closed from date not identified.
The last guestes in the apartment left the morning of your arrival. Our maid works in montorio since 10 years , and difficult receive complain about her job, I couldn't check the apartment before your arrival because I had not the time since we did an early check in. I can believe that there was a spider web but not tons, but I will tell the maid to check better every day.

kind regards
stefania

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for Montorio

Reviewed 9 June 2016

We had a nice apartment, super clean, well equipped, very comfy bed. The surrounding garden is perfectly kept, with superb views of the town/hill, the church of San Biagio, and the surrounding landscapes at a distance. At our arrival we were very kindly received by Stefania, who proved to be a lovely and helpful host. Having been in the region before, we chose not to have a car, and that was no problem at all: bus stop (including city bus), a few restaurants and shops (including supermarket) just down from the entrance, and it is a short walk up into town (walking back takes less effort of course). We totally enjoyed it!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank J
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2016

Dear Frank,
thank you for this beautiful review and to have share your experience at montorio on the larger community of travellers.
it has been a real pleasure to have you and your wife , you are such nice people.
I hope one days to see you again
All my best

Reviewed 2 November 2015 via mobile

Spent a couple of days here and the photos don't do it justice. Yes, there is a bit of a hill up to the apartments but without it the views wouldn't be anywhere near as spectacular. To be honest wherever you stay in Montepulciano you're going to be walking up and down hills, unless you plan on not leaving your room. Also Stefania was brilliant and couldn't do enough for us, we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davetipBolton
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2015

Dear davetipBo,

thank you to have share your experiece at montorio on TA.

I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay at MOntorio, and I wish to see you again for a longer stay.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

Amazing place overlooking the landscape of hills in Montepulciano. It's an ancient monastery now converted in lovely accommodations. We were lucky to have all the complex for us for three nights and it was unbelievable having breakfast outside in the mornings. Can't wait to go again

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2015

I want to thank to have been to montorio and I happy you could enjoy the place and atmoshere of montorio
I am looking forward to see you again
Kind regards

Reviewed 19 July 2015

From the sweeping views like picture postcards, to the comfortable apartment, to our wonderful stay, everything about Montorio was perfect. Our hostess was gracious, and helpful with restaurant recommendations and maps. The travel books in the room were a nice touch. Gracie Mille, Stefania.

Room Tip: Nice outdoor patios too
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

dear OlympicNa

thank you very much for this nice comment. I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay and our apartments in MOntorio.

And I wish you will be back one day

Kindest regards