“Beautiful place”
Review of Montorio

Montorio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 June 2015

The place was recommended to us by friends that stayed there. We were very pleased with the location, the condition of the house and cleanliness. The host Stefania is amazing and it made us feel very welcome. We only spend a couple of nights, but wish can stay longer. It was very peaceful, beautiful views and great service. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom, but next time would like to reserve the two bedroom. The living room area was...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2015

Dear Freemaee
thank you very much for your review and to have shared on TA your comment about MOntorio.
As in your case most of MOntorio's guest are raccomanded by friend who have been here and this make me happy because means that guest really like our accomodation, the apartments , and of course the location wich is unique
Thank you again to have shared on TA, it helps a lot small property like montorio to get a good web reputation and help to have new guestes
I hope you will be back again
stefania

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for Montorio

Reviewed 26 October 2014 via mobile

This amazing house on a hill with a great view is simply the best place to stay when visiting Montepulciano.

Hosted by a great lady who has the best advice for experiencing the city, the house holds several apartments. We stayed on the ground floor, in a large apartment, with everything we needed.

The view is spectacular, the house in traditional old build, and beautiful. The apartments are clean, there is a washing machine to use and everything is simply perfect.

When walking into the city, you'll burn some serious calories on the climb. We tried a different way back, past the church, but that was quite dark. So better just use the main road up and down, and enjoy the view on the way.

If I go back to Montepulciano next year, I'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tamara S
Owner-Hotelmanager, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2014

Dear Tamara S,
thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am very pleased that you enjoy your stay at MOntorio and you find confortable.

I really hope that if you came back to Montepulciano you will choose again our apartments

Stefania

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Montorio is a renovated hill top Tuscan house at the bottom of the hill which is Montepulciano.
There are 5 apartments and we stayed in Poliziano, a two bed roomed apartment on the first floor.
The apartment is nicely set up and serviced every day by a maid. It is self catering with a small but adequate kitchen. The grounds are delightful and the view over St Bagio church and up the hill to Montepulciano and across the valley to Pienza are marvellous.
However, the best feature is the delightful Stefania, who manages the property, as well as a nearby boutique hotel, Villa Poggiano. She makes you feel truly welcome into the region and into her house. We received very useful local shopping, touring and dining advice from her, and as a special treat were invited by her to a lovely classical music recital by the swimming pool at Villa Poggiano.
Montorio was a great centre for touring the southern part of Tuscany and neighbouring Umbria.
In our week, we visited Pienza (twice), Montepulciano several times, Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, Sienna, Cortone, Castelione del Lago, and drove through many other beautiful and often breathtaking places.

One does need to be prepared for the stiff walk up the hill to Montepulciano... It took a moderately unfit 65 year old about 15-20 minutes of huffing and puffing... But was necessary as we were visiting during the Barrel rolling and flag waving festival week "Corteo dei Ceri"... this was a highlight of our stay... and the car parking situation in town was highly restricted.

This was a lovely week spent in a truly lovely historic, culturally rich and scenic region, which also boasts two of Italy's great wines... Brunello of Montalcino and Nobile of Montepulciano.

Room Tip: All are quiet with views and there is on site parking behind a locked gate for security
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisB1949
lapulce7, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Mr Chrisb194,

what a super review!

Thank you very much for your positive comment about MOntorio , but also for your too generous comments on my person

I have been very happy that you could join also the violin concert at my sister property Villa Poggiano.

The entire week of your stay MOntepulciano has been very active for the barrel race, wich is always the last week of august, I am pleased that you liked the "corteo dei ceri" wich is really very nice.

It has been a real pleasure to guest you and your wife and thank you to have choosen MOntorio for your stay in our beautiful town.

Looking forward to see you again

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Occasionally, very occasionally, you get something that is way beyond your expectations, even when your expectations are set really high. So it was for us with Montorio.

From the moment we arrived after a 650km car journey from France we were warmly greeted by Stefania who has continued from that minute to be the consummate host. She is a wealth of information and suggestions on places to go and things to do - your own private tourist bureau!

We stayed in the top floor apartment 'Sangallo' and had booked it a year in advance of our stay. To say that we had really high expectations would be an understatement! Well our expectations were well and truly exceeded. The website photos simply do not do justice to this apartment or to it surrounds, they just can't. How can you possibly photograph the vista of Tuscany that is to be had from each and every window?

If you are looking for a place that is unique, historical, spectacular and private then this is for you!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob S
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Mr Bob S,
thank you very much for this fantastic review. I am more than happy that what you found in montorio was more than your expectation, this make me very very happy
you are right the photos do not give justice at the place, but I prefer that the guest can find more than less
It has been a pleasure to guest you and your wife for a week and I am looking forward to see you again

Reviewed 27 June 2014

When I was looking for a place to stay in Montepulciano, I was sure that I wanted a place up in town. During my research, however, I came across a picture of the view from Montorio and I knew I would regret it if we didn't stay there. So stay there we did.

My husband and I stayed for two nights, but could easily justify staying there, well, permanently. Stefania was lovely - very friendly and helpful. When we arrived (slightly early), we called her mobile and she showed up in five minutes. The setting was like a dream. The views were literally unbelievable. The apartments were fitted with modern comforts yet still felt atmospheric. We made good use of the kitchen (bought a packet of pici and a jar of truffle sauce - so simple yet tasted incredible) as well as the laundry room and of course the beautiful courtyard overlooking San Biagio.

Montorio's location was perfect for us. We didn't have a car, so we took the bus from Siena, which conveniently stopped across the road from Montorio (ask for San Biagio stop). We also wanted to walk to Monticchiello and on to Pienza - the trail conveniently starts near Montorio, and we simply took the bus back to San Biagio stop. Before our walk, we stopped by the supermarket across the road for food and water, which was also very convenient.

All in all, our stay in Montorio was absolutely perfect. We could not ask for better and I can hardly imagine a more beautiful place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarinaFH
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Mrs KarinaFh,
what a lovely and detail review you have written , thank you very much.
I am very happy that you particulalry enjoyed montorio all its facility and of course its unique location , with the view on the church of San biagio
I hope you will be back for a longer stay, I hope