Review Highlights
Beautiful - then go to Montecatini Alto

Austere and opulent. One can imagine the rich and famous of times past frequenting this facility to... read more

Reviewed 1 October 2018

from US$ 144.10
More Info
from US$ 79.60
More Info
All reviews spent ages worth euros giuseppe verdi train station drinking concert baths architecture empire town marble tuscany nose wellness century alto
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

When you click on the website it makes it look as though you go to the plaza for treatment you don’t. We went to the actual place it was a small swimming pool. We paid for a 30 min massage. The room was terrible and it only lasted 15 minutes and it was a back rub at best. Plenty of other places to go. Pass on this one.

Date of experience: December 2017
10  Thank Sherau
Reviewed 27 September 2017

One of the things I enjoy doing on vacation is going to the spa.

I had signed up for a 3 day detox treatment, cost E350 which I had to pay in full when I arrived on the first day. There were to be three treatments on the three days. Well, one of the "treatments" first day was access to a shower (no soap or shampoo and only one large overhead shower umbrella and no light) and dry sauna and steam sauna (which was not warmed up so it took 10 min to get to temperature). I spent an hour in there until someone came to get me (I don't consider this a "treatment").

She took me to a room for the leg treatment. I was cold much of the time, as the room was cool and I was only covered with a towel which was not large enough to totally cover me. In other spas I have been to, they ensure you are kept warm with warm towels or something. As we did not understand each other's language, I wasn't always sure what was going on. She wrapped my legs with a cold cloth wrap and covered me again with this thin towel and left for 20 min or more while I laid on a sheet of plastic with this thin towel feeling cold and isolated. At other spas, when they are doing work on one part of your body that is needing to absorb the treatment, they might massage your arms or shoulders or something, just to be present.

The third treatment was a detox massage on the legs & abdomen. I was ok. I indicated if she could do my shoulders somewhat, so she did. But only shoulders, not arms or hands or neck. It seemed she did not do anything extra except what was her job.

I did not feel properly covered much of the time, somewhat overexposed.

Nowhere to shower, change, get ready to go back out into the public. No lounging area with a cleansing tea or little snack. No pools to go into. She offered some cold tea from a plugged in kettle, in a plastic cup and a couple of uncomfortable wicker chairs to sit on.

The spa was empty, not a good sign. Many people come here for the water drinking therapy.

My decision was to 'cancel' the three day detox and just pay for the treatments I had that day. The receptionist tells me I can do that, but she cannot reverse the charge on my visa, so I can have cash. Oh well.

I had also had a facial there earlier in the week. It was fine, but very minimalist. Compared to other spas I have been to, it is the bare minimum.

The treatment seems to have been effective but the experience was not enjoyable.

At the cost, I expected more and I thought this town of Montecatini being a Terme, it would be exceptional in their treatments. Very disappointed.

6  Thank sktower
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Beautiful Romanesque villa. This is a delightful place to wander around and forget busy lives. Tranquil and heavenly. From the paintings to the gardens. From the historic tea salon to the extraordinary tree room gallery. Well worth 6 euros entrance fee.

3  Thank amandahep15
Reviewed 8 September 2017

After 11am it is open for peopke to explore the marbled hallways and gaze at the stained glass pannels, 7 ages of man in tiles over the fountains where you can taste the waters, slightly salty. stroll through the grounds, take a coffee in the magnificent bar that takes you right back to a more gracious age. Go down the side of the building and discover an exhibition space with a 'tumbling block' illusion floor and 'trees' holding up the roof.
The facilities are outstandingly clean.

1  Thank M H
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We spent ages wondering around the gigantic buildings, built for 19th century Italian hypochondriacs and nowadays still popular with Russian ones. Having my Campari and soda on the terrace, more or less alone, was a highlight of our trip.

Date of experience: August 2017