“Good services but not in an upscale setting”

Terme di Montecatini Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Treat yourself to a full-body mud bath, a facial, soothing massage or Turkish bath at this elegant century-old spa located in a magnificent park setting.
Reviewed 5 June 2018

My husband and I were celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary in Tuscany and he delighted me by pre-arranging a spa day for us to include time in the therapeutic pool, tub soak, mud wrap and 60 minute massage. We had an expectation that this would be a couples experience but it was not. We were separated for our soak, mub wrap and massage. In fact, their schedule was for us to have back to back massages - meaning one would have to wait while the other got his/hers. That was rectified with some assistance from our massage therapist. I will say that the mud wrap was a first for me and was wonderful. The facility was not as we expected as there were no toiletries available for use and was more like a public facility than a typical high end spa. Would not book this particular spa again.

4  Thank jameslK3150FD
in 3 reviews
"alto"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

When you click on the website it makes it look as though you go to the plaza for treatment you don’t. We went to the actual place it was a small swimming pool. We paid for a 30 min massage. The room was terrible and it only lasted 15 minutes and it was a back rub at best. Plenty of other places to go. Pass on this one.

9  Thank Sherau
Reviewed 27 September 2017

One of the things I enjoy doing on vacation is going to the spa.

I had signed up for a 3 day detox treatment, cost E350 which I had to pay in full when I arrived on the first day. There were to be three treatments on the three days. Well, one of the "treatments" first day was access to a shower (no soap or shampoo and only one large overhead shower umbrella and no light) and dry sauna and steam sauna (which was not warmed up so it took 10 min to get to temperature). I spent an hour in there until someone came to get me (I don't consider this a "treatment").

She took me to a room for the leg treatment. I was cold much of the time, as the room was cool and I was only covered with a towel which was not large enough to totally cover me. In other spas I have been to, they ensure you are kept warm with warm towels or something. As we did not understand each other's language, I wasn't always sure what was going on. She wrapped my legs with a cold cloth wrap and covered me again with this thin towel and left for 20 min or more while I laid on a sheet of plastic with this thin towel feeling cold and isolated. At other spas, when they are doing work on one part of your body that is needing to absorb the treatment, they might massage your arms or shoulders or something, just to be present.

The third treatment was a detox massage on the legs & abdomen. I was ok. I indicated if she could do my shoulders somewhat, so she did. But only shoulders, not arms or hands or neck. It seemed she did not do anything extra except what was her job.

I did not feel properly covered much of the time, somewhat overexposed.

Nowhere to shower, change, get ready to go back out into the public. No lounging area with a cleansing tea or little snack. No pools to go into. She offered some cold tea from a plugged in kettle, in a plastic cup and a couple of uncomfortable wicker chairs to sit on.

The spa was empty, not a good sign. Many people come here for the water drinking therapy.

My decision was to 'cancel' the three day detox and just pay for the treatments I had that day. The receptionist tells me I can do that, but she cannot reverse the charge on my visa, so I can have cash. Oh well.

I had also had a facial there earlier in the week. It was fine, but very minimalist. Compared to other spas I have been to, it is the bare minimum.

The treatment seems to have been effective but the experience was not enjoyable.

At the cost, I expected more and I thought this town of Montecatini being a Terme, it would be exceptional in their treatments. Very disappointed.

5  Thank sktower
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Beautiful Romanesque villa. This is a delightful place to wander around and forget busy lives. Tranquil and heavenly. From the paintings to the gardens. From the historic tea salon to the extraordinary tree room gallery. Well worth 6 euros entrance fee.

3  Thank amandahep15