Villa d'Este
US$ 209
US$ 191
Albergo Ristorante Giardino(Cernobbio)(Great Value!)
US$ 103
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
1,411 results
All reviewsthe grillveranda restaurantjacket and tiefloating poollake comobest hotels in the worldjunior suiteindoor poolmain buildingold worldlinen sheetsla verandabeautiful hoteltennis courtsconcierge deskgeorge clooneymagical place
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just returned from Villa d'Este. Wonderful hotel where the service was fantastic. Sparkling wine on arrival, easter egg on Easter Sunday and farewell biscuits in the room with a note thanking us for our custom. May not sound a lot but it is the little touches that makes the difference. Big room (we were on 3rd floor overlooking courtyard). Service was impeccable, nothing too much trouble. Breakfast was to die for. We ate in the hotel 4 nights. The first 2 were at The Grill and were fine the 3rd & 4th at the 'posher' Veranda. The first night there was a bit disappointed with the venison but had been spoilt at the Lime Wood in Lyndhurst. The last night had the chefs recommendations - fish and it was fab. It is expensive - 2 coffee's a brandy and port 85 euros but it is a top end hotel and service doesn't come cheap so you should expect to pay. Used the spa and had a brilliant facial one of the best I have ever had. Actually came out feeling better than when I went in, face didn't feel tight and 'peeled' as has done in some spas! Sporting facilities were great too - proper 20 metre indoor pool, not an excuse for a pool as in a lot of hotels. Gym good (if a little warm). Didn't use outside pool as wasn't open yet. Grounds are lovely and relaxing. Couple of picky points - it says jogging track - well only if you are a mountain goat. The 14 year old was still in training for Virgin mini marathon and would have needed climbing gear to use it. And very picky I know but the beds were a little hard. Have been to other hotels where they use a mattress topper and it is so much better. On the whole lovely experience.

Room Tip: Was on third floor executive courtyard room so not the most expensive but lovely. Booked with Citalia and got breakfast included.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank YellowJellyBean
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I decided to spend my birthday at Villa d'Este and did not regret it. It was a once-in-a-liftetime experience. We were staying on the 1st floor not far away from the spa I found it very convenient. We had a partial view on the lake and a great view on the mosaic which we found even much better especially at night.

I had a lovely card and a bottle of Champagne from the GM the day of my birthday.

A special mention for Maestro Dino Siano the excellent pianist who made my stay so special !!

In conclusion:

The -

We did not find our experience at the restaurant in terms of food that great. We found it was expensive for what it was and pretty much "flat tasting". We were expecting something else especially for such a place. However service was great and the dining room lovely. There was a reception and the Veranda restaurant was not available but we really enjoyed having dinner in the Sala Impero. The hotel kindly informed us 3 weeks prior to arrival about this and we appreciated it.

They should print new post card. They look so old. However, in the whole Como Lake it was difficult to find really nice bright post cards and guides. How come they do not take advantage of such a beautiful spot to print great post cards, especially when the hotel have great brochures.

Access to the indoor pool from outside is not very obvious.

The ++

We love:

The toiletries
The outstanding top notch service!!!!
The exceptional bed linen with the coat of arms
Great service at the spa
The daily newsletter "Buon Giorno"

Grazie Mille Villa d'Este. We will come back

Room Tip: I prefer the room with both view on the lake and the fabulous garden (mosaic). At night it is so beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MicheleParis
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Villa D'Este is a stunning hotel in a gorgeous setting. We traveled here with 12 people for 5 nights, and every room was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable with amazing balcony views.

They well deserve the ratings they have received as the top management and the concierge desk in particular were extremely helpful. The gentlemen in the bar area were always jovial and outgoing, and the live music created a romantic atmosphere.

There was an issue with the maid service dramatically re-arranging items in the room and an article of clothing gone missing, but management was quick to jump on the issue and I trust that there will be resolve.

The only other reason for a 4 rating instead of 5 would be some of the restaurant staff. Our group made up a large part of total guests during the time we were there, but this didn't seem to merit attentive service. Considering the group size and differences of personal taste we ordered our wine individually by the glass, and perhaps this is the reason the sommelier turned his nose up at us. I didn't appreciate the sarcastic comments after having to call him over (there were a total of maybe 4 tables that night- ours the largest) to ask for a refill when my glass had been empty for a good 15 minutes. Last time I checked a glass per course if pretty standard.

I do want to stress how helpful and friendly the concierge desk was. My boyfriend and I travelled to Florence for a day to see some friends, and they helped with the train schedule and set up a driver to pick us up in the morning and again in Milan late at night. Getting back would have otherwise been a nightmare and this service was greatly appreciated.

I would most definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ecadams
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was a little nervous to go after other reviews. We were there off season and it was not crowded so we were more than welcomed. The service was great and the glass enclosed room with the view of Lake Como almost make up for the price. Plan on spending at least $300 for 2.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank micheleg
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Famous location and there is a reason for that. Plan your stay before going there--although the hotle is in the high pricing category, there are almost no free tables for dinner and lake-view rooms available if you don't reserve upfront.

Take a glass of champaign in the afternoon under the trees at the lake shore at Terrazza, dinner on the Veranda (w/ jacket). if you have enough time, order a boat to Bellagio and enjoy the lake.

Room Tip: Lake view room. Plan your stay as there are a lot of political events and the security measures may spoil your stay.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends