New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel La Genzianella

Hotel La Genzianella
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Bormio
California
“Big mistake on my reservation!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I never got to stay at this hotel. Great many reviews, but I will never know! I normally stay at the Hotel Funivia across the street. However, when making an EARLY booking last Fall, October 2011 for May of 2012 Giro week, I found my favorite Hotel Funivia not open. I wrote to Hotel La Genzianella asking specifically for the dates of May 21-25. I was given an answer from the very friendly "Frederica" that they were indeed open. I sent my credit card info and requested the panorama suite.

When checking for all my hotel confirmations mid-January 2012, I didn't see a final confirmation from the hotel. Unfortunately, when I checked with Frederica, she not only said they had no reservation for me, but they were now not open on the 21st of May. Plus, they were now booked.

I received many confusing excuses, an apology and an offer to help find me a hotel elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I missed the final follow-up with this hotel as I did with my other hotels. At least I followed up early enough to change my plans!

I have no idea how nice this hotel may be and never will know, because the hotel couldn't even take a booking.

I recommend if you stay here, not book too far out in advance and be very diligent in following up even with a confirmation.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tkids
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

place - perfect - few min to lifts, few minutes to old town by foot..
food - perfect - especially dinner, therefore definetely recommend to have Half Board..
service - perfect - starting from arrangements with other service providers (discounts in rentals, termal baths) to sauna in hotel..
athmosphere - perfect - candles, wooden furniture, people surrounding in the hotel - everything let us feel very warm, comfortable, and we loved staying there despite of just ~40% of slopes were open at that time because of lack of snow..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erni13
Stoccarda, Germania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

During December 2011, my brother-in-law and I stayed for 4 nights in this well-kept hotel, in the low-season period before Christmas. We stayed half-board ("mezza pensione") with a pre-Christmas promotion, which included a free ski lift pass for the duration of our stay.

Accommodation:
The lobby is nice and inviting and our room was very clean with comfortable beds, but quite small (so-called "classic" room). The room temperature was rather hot (23°) but lowered after request at the reception desk. The storeroom for ski equipment is fitted with an effective venting/heating installation. I enjoyed the sauna every evening.

Food:
All meals were extraordinary. The day started with an ample breakfast. Excellent coffee accompanies various types of bread, cereals, yoghurt, marmalade, fruit, juices etc. Omelets with bacon are prepared instantly on request.
At night, one longs with appetite for the restaurant doors to open at 7:30 pm. After a refined antipasto, a tasty vegetable buffet bridges for excellent primi and secondi. The kitchen of La Genzianella serves high quality ingredients in an haute-cuisine kind of way. The dinner experience is without doubt above-average.

People:
The hotel is firmly run by an impeccable Italian lady and her three children. All staff is gentle, very polite and very helpful. After an exhausting day on the slopes, we felt quite at home lingering in the lobby.

Overall:
La Genzianella is an immaculate hotel with warmhearted people and outstanding food. It was worth every cent and I can truly say this was the best hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

I could not imagine a friendlier, more comfortable place to stay.

This is a family run hotel, that really treats its guests like royalty.

The rooms are spotless and well appointed. The food in the restaurant, and in the downstairs breakfast room was first rate. The bar near the foyer is comfortable and inviting.

But the highlight of the stay is the wonderful welcome and service you receive from the staff. From the first point of contact (in my case, via email) til the end of your stay, the communication and service is top notch. No request is too complicated.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough to fellow Tripadvisor readers.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellingPeteShow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We spent a week at the genzianella in August. We would have loved to spend another week there! It felt like a home away from home. Fantastic food and wonderful service, everyone was so willing to make our stay there memorable and always lovely smiling faces!! We will definitely be back! Thanks so much!

• Stayed August 2011