2,083 results
All reviewsthermal suitelovely hotelevening mealleisure facilitiesblack puddinglovely groundsexecutive roomrelaxing breakcheshire oaksafternoon teamy mumchester zooa lovely stayfamily roomenjoyable staybirthday treatrestaurant staff
Reviewed 13 August 2018

Booked 2 rooms for a girls night away after being let down on another event. Got a good Aug deal, dinner bed and breakfast with spa access and 2 treatments. Well we arrived at 2 were able to check in immediate and were very happy with a spacious room, clean bathroom, brilliant towels, elemis toiletries and full tea tray. Went into the spa for relax, s w im and sauna but had ideas of going onto Cheshire oaks before dinner but the spa had other ideas and we stayed till 7.30! Dinner was excellent a choice from set menu, 4 choices each course, delicious. Had a drink in the bar after but we're strangely tired after the relaxing spa so retired! Breakfast is very good, nice big tables, plenty of cooked and cold choices. Check out was a breeze and we enjoyed ourselves so much we will be back for the autumn / winter special. Thanks for the glass bubbly, this was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Panda036
Alan S, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear Panda036,

Thank you for your review following your stay here at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and your positive feedback in relation to the facilities and the quality of our Spa is very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Attended a wedding recently. We couldn't get into our bedrooms until quite late on. They were short staffed but no sign of any additional staff being brought in. Some staff looked very miserable. We reported these issues but have not yet had a response. We had other people's rubbish in the bins in our room and the shower tray had muddy footprints in it that weren't ours. The wedding cake was also ruined. I wouldn't recommend this venue for a wedding.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Barbara S

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

You have my apologies that your room wasn't quite ready for you on arrival and whilst we do advertise to guests that check in is from 3pm I do fully appreciate, particularly at weddings, that guests do look to gain access to rooms a little earlier.

Cleanliness of our bedrooms and communal areas is something that we pride ourselves in delivering so you have my assurances that your feedback will be discussed at length with my Housekeeping team.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

My friends and I had a wonderful and relaxing stay at this hotel. Staff were friendly and looked after us well. Food was lovely and tasty, although the choice was limited. The evening meal service was rather slow and there seemed to be a limited number of staff available. Breakfast was lovely and there was plenty of choice for everyone.

However, the spa experience was rather disappointing. Having been to a range of spa days this happens to be the worst. Spa facilities were clean and maintained. Nevertheless, the spa staff were very unprofessional and rude. We were offered the opportunity to have a facial which we thought would add to our experience. Staff were discussing clients and whispering between one another. As a person who works in customer service, I have never seen such unprofessionalism. This made my friends and myself feel rather uncomfortable and put a dampen on our day. This wouldn’t be somewhere we would look to come back to again which is a shame as the hotel was lovely and welcoming.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank RMarsh94
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve just got back from a 2 night stay at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel, which I booked for my husbands birthday. Honestly, this hotel is a hidden gem. Ideally located just a 10 minute drive from both Cheshire Oaks & Chester, we had no problem filling our time picking up some bargains!
I booked an Executive Room which had lovely views over the gardens, the room was spacious & spotlessly clean with gorgeous Elemis toiletries. I mentioned to the lady at reception it was my husbands birthday & there was a slate with some delicious chocolate treats on when we got back from the shops - such a nice touch.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on both nights as it was great value, I can highly recommend the sirloin steak - delicious.
A visit to the Spa is a must, we both treated ourselves to a treatment, my back massage was one of the best I’ve had.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Alan S, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at The Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and your positive feedback in relation to the facilities, food quality and Spa are very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Lovely spa experience, super helpful staff! Really relaxing! The mud experience was a treat.

The hotel however was dated, drab and lacked any atmosphere!
We found boxes, trash and dirty linen in the hallway!
Our room was a throwback...and musty!
The menu was overpriced and set in the 80s! We chose not to eat there

Shame, as the images online looked great!
Won’t be returning :(

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melissa_cox2

Dear Melissa,

Your positive feedback in relation to our Spa and the teams hospitality is very much appreciated.

I'm sorry you felt the decor was not up to your expectation. Here at the hotel we are continually maintaining our property through our preventative maintenance schedule but I will of course review your feedback with my Maintenance Team.

Thank you again for your feedback.