“Better but still not great!”

Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Croft-on-Tees
York, United Kingdom
“Better but still not great!”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed at the hotel in April 2011 following our wedding at a nearby venue. (see my earlier review 'It was pants!'). After a memorable stay for all the wrong reasons and after a letter of complaint the hotel did accept the service we received on our wedding night was not acceptable and we were offered a free night which we decided to accept in September 2011. Previously we were in 'The Chateau' this time we were in the oriental suite. This time the room was clean - no added extras!

There was still a lack of attention to detail, there was a large bathroom but no space round the sink to put your toiletries. The bath was nice but only drained if you held the fitted plug up with your hands! Only one bedside light worked, you couldn't even plug one in as the cord didn't reach the socket!

Amusingly for the oriental room there was an Egyptian themed dressing table - but that is being a bit picky!

Breakfast was fine and the staff friendly. We appreciated the offer of the free night from the hotel and we can honestly say the service was better, but it needs to address the lack of attention to detail as it really lets this hotel down - it really could be so much better!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Good value accomadation excellent staff fabulous breakfast.

Staff endeavour to accomadate your needs and are very apporoachable with anty additional requests.

Room Tip: Phone and check for upgardes different rooms and standards re size
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed here last week for one night booked by company for business in area. I stayed here earlier in the year for two nights. The reason i was prompted to write a review was to point out that if you are considering choosing this hotel then you may need to ask about the bedding. I stay at hotels at least once a week and always have a duvet, the Croft only gives a sheets and bedspread which is decorative rather than warm or comfortable. My first visit I did ask for a duvet and was given a single one, however I never got a chance to ask on my recent visit as I arrived late.
There appears to be more staff than customers and no one helped me with my luggage or check in (receptionist was on phone) so staff not working as a team.
I was in the chateau room which was shabby chic, but no proper desk and chair.
The positives are the food was excellent, toiletries nice and there was free wi fi available.
I would stay here again as it was convenient for my work however I will phone ahead and ask for a duvet.

Room Tip: Rear are quieter, front is on road, ask for preferred bedding
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

What a disappointment! Our room (The Prince Albert suite) was huge with a four poster bed and a huge bathroom. Unfortunately, only 2 of the lightbulbs on the massive chandelier worked (bed-side lights didn't work at all) so it was very dark when we came home after a wedding at another hotel. What was supposed to look like dark oak or mahogany furniture was actually plastic. On the brighter side, tea and coffee making facilities were good with quality biscuits. My grandmother and uncle had to have their rooms changed. My dad and stepmam loved theirs 'The Chateau' but said it was 'bizarre' and unforgettable!! Again, to be more positive, the staff were lovely and breakfast was great. We paid £90 for bed and breakfast, which I think is too much for what we got. Unfortunately we won't be rushing back. It needs a serious makeover as could be a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Artlad
travellingwilbury66
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Possibly the most miserable hotel I've ever stayed (and if you check out my other reviews you'll see that I've stayed in quite a few hotels). the room was tiny and outdated, with ripped wallpaper and a damp patch on the carpet. The staff were surly and unhelpful and the atmosphere in the hotel was unpleasant. The food was appalling and massively overpriced. The breakfast was ten pounds and consisted of one poor quality sausage, one piece of undercooked bacon and one badly cooked egg - rip off!
If you're looking for accommodation near croft racing circuit, or just generally considering staying at this hotel then my advice would be simple: avoid this place like the plague!

Room Tip: the rooms are tiny and have poor views
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank travellingwilbury66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croft-on-Tees
3.6 km away
16.7 km away
Allerton Court Hotel
Allerton Court Hotel
#3 of 5 in Northallerton

Been to Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK