“Delicious afternoon tea”
Review of The Old Kitchen

The Old Kitchen
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Old Kitchen Cafe is located in the Main House. The cafe is currently closed for refurbishing but will reopen again soon
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a delicious afternoon tea. The General Manager kindly set us up in the old library so we had the entire room to ourselves.

We selected our sandwich filling and they were made to order. A delightful selection of petit fours and slightly warmed scones rounded off a fabulous afternoon tea.

We've booked to go back again!

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Stopped off lunch today after a walk in the woods, walled gardens and of course a visit to the woodland playground.
Staff were really welcoming, and the food was delicious. The child's meal of chicken goujons and fries, a drink, and large cookie covered in sweets was especially good value.
Defiantly think we shall be coming again to sample more from the specials menu, and another slice of chocolate cake.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

My initial impression almost had me turning around and going elsewhere, a very bare basic space with no ambience whatsoever. I asked the lady at the counter where the restaurant was and was surprised when she replied "This is it". It was a chilly and overcast day with a few rain drops and I did not want to walk back to our car. I had a look at the menu which initially didn't impress until I saw "hand battered fish and chips", all three of us plumped for this. My two ladies shared a large bottle of an exotic coloured cider and I had a Peroni. The tables were very basic, plank like, I sat down and found the chairs very hard, typical basic kitchen chairs but no cushions. To our surprise our meals were served very quickly and were absolutely delicious, nothing was too much trouble, vinegar, tartare sauce, mayo all being brought to the table. As we were finishing our meal the manager Harry Hay came along and asked for our comments. I told him just about the same as I have written, he seemed genuinely interested and said he would take on board our comments. On our way out I noticed that there is plenty of outside seating and tables in a court yard with comfy cushions in a nearby building. There is a disabled toilet, very clean. On a nice warm summers day I am sure this could be an excellent place to visit, probably best for coffee and cake, however we couldn't fault the fish and chips, nor the service.

3  Thank BSAP4853
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

I booked 3 afternoon teas a few weeks ago and the friendliness of the communication set my expectations high.
We arrived earlier than expected to find a table set up outside, and a huge apology that a family had just camped on the table subsequently set up inside for us. If we wanted we could have waited for them to table cloth and set up another table, but not really fussed about that we continued at a non set table.
Drinks arrived and soon after a splendid afternoon tea. You get a sandwich each from selection and a large scone, and an immense selection of mini cakes.
Drinks were topped up throughout and we were checked on to make sure everything was to our liking, which it was. I finished everything but my friends couldn't ( I am afternoon tea queen!!) so the leftovers were wrapped to be taken home
I think a great value, tasty hidden gem of an afternoon tea venue. Will be going back for lunch or coffee and cake soon
Thank you for looking after us so well

2  Thank travellingforfun72
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

A sandwich lunch with possibly the worst made sandwich we have had in a long while with dry bread, meagre filling and 5 soft crisps. Such disorganised service and couldn't get rectified without going to the back of queue. Concerned with staff hygiene as taking money and then all making their own sandwiches.
The garden cafe appeared to be temporary fitted .... might have been better to wait until they could offer a decent service.

Karen F, Public Relations Manager at The Old Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Dear Sharon
We are sorry to read your review.
Please do e-mail us directly at:
KarenFry@moggerhangerpark.com
And we will be happy to try to resolve this with you
Many thanks