2 people are viewing this hotel
$161
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
$232
Agoda.com
$135
Hotels.com$232
Priceline$161
Travelocity$232
1,996 results
All reviews ayung river our honeymoon private pool romantic dinner heaven on earth ubud centre butler spa jungle villa tree bali massage valley driver luxury privacy
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 July 2022 via mobile

This icon of Ubud was tired and a little unkempt after two years in Covid mothballs, just waking up to some more normal trade. It’s a good thing that the placement of the villas, over the stunning gorge with the Ayung River at the bottom, and the wonderful design of them - the views, the privacy, the magnificent gardens looking good even though not as manicured as they once were - made up for the fact that this establishment hasn’t come back to full speed yet. I suggest you get in while it’s still quiet

Date of stay: July 2022
Reviewed 12 July 2022

Excellent staff and service but the accommodation is old and out dated. Bedding was damp and smelt it too because the wooden villa construction can't hold the humidity back.

Breakfast was included but was not buffet. No cereals options.

Not worth the money so my wife and I bit the bullet and changed hotels to save our stay in Ubud (was non refundable).

Reviewed 6 July 2022 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights from the 9th June and loved every minute of it. What made our honeymoon extra special was the care and attention given to us by the staff at Kupu Kupu Barong. I can’t thank them enough for their hospitality during our stay, especially our butler and Arta (apologies if I spelled it wrong!).

Our only comment would be that the hotel could do with an update, as it is starting to look dated.

Room tip: This hotel is in the heart of the Ubud forest and within distance of River Ayung. Be prepared to embrace all its wildlife and nature!
Reviewed 30 June 2022

Caveat: We stayed here in April 2022, when the hotel was just getting going again post covid, it was improving slowly and I imagine is in a much better state now.

After being delayed in going for 2 years we were incredibly excited to stay in a river view pool villa. The view from our room was incredible, and the room was spacious as expected, but looked a bit tired. Curtains were missing, the wifi was very dodgy, hot water kept running out and just looked like it hadn't been taken much care of.
We were told to call reception or a butler if we needed anything, which we did a few times with the wifi issues or to solve the hot water, but they would often not pick up. But otherwise the staff were great, offering to take us into central town, helping us with getting clothes cleaned at an offsite launderette which was good.
We also had an incredibly romantic massage in one of the tree spas which I'm pretty sure they cleaned and prepared specifically for us.
The hotel was slowly getting tidied up. The main pool wasn't ready and a lot of the paths were not cleaned yet but I expect this is sorted now.
The thing which really disappointed was our romantic meal. Yes, it looked incredible in the photos etc but the service there was poor. I asked if they had sparkling wine or champagne and they didn't have any, and when i asked for the wine list I was told there wasn't one, just options of a few bottles of wine. When we were served white wine, it took 30 minutes to come and it was warm. I told them about this, and they said they would find another bottle and I was very clear it had to be cold... 20 minutes later a bottle comes out which they'd clearly panicked and thrown in the freezer which was still not cold yet... and it put quite a dampener on the evening. Food was really nice though.

Overall, the hotel was not the 5* experience we were sold. The staff definitely tried their best but they were understaffed and underprepared to provide the experienced we expected. The rooms need updating to keep the 5* rating, and do the basics - chill your wine!

Date of stay: April 2022
Reviewed 23 June 2022 via mobile

The beauty of this hotel is magnificent. The butler was attentive at all times preparing everything without having to notify them. I couldn't be happier with this hotel. The food is very good and the restaurant has spectacular views of the jungle. The rooms are wonderful, a mixture of tradition and unparalleled beauty. Thanks for everything. I would like to thank our butler Amy for her special care with every detail. Both my wife and I are delighted. You have to come to enjoy this hotel, it is a memory that you will never forget.

Room tip: Dejaros aconsejar por su staff