1,792 results
All reviews ayung river pool villa birds nest duplex villa twilight dinner our honeymoon river front private pool butler service la view restaurant personal butler mango golf cart every hour afternoon tea white water rafting amazing place beautiful resort
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Stayed at Kupu Kupu recently for 4 nights and we loved every moment. We stayed in a pool view suite and it was perfectly fine for us. We ate several meals at the hotel and also attended our friends wedding and it was fantastic with such a beautiful view in the background during the wedding ceremony. I found all staff across the resort really friendly and they genuinely care that your having a good time !!! We would love to return again in the future. Kupu Kupu is around 15 mins away from Ubud town centre, traffic can be busy during the day but in the evening the journey is hassle free.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
KupuKupuResorts, Resort Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Dear MichaelB0210,

Thank you for staying with us at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’OCCITANE and thank you for your lovely review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests.

Please do recommend us to family and friends and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you plan your next visit to Ubud-Bali. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via kadek@kupubarong.com, my team and I remain at your service.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

(Previously, I had accidently submitted this review under my husbands account) My daughter has taken me on a holiday at this wonderful resort the last four years. We have a two story villa with a private pool. The rooms are comfortable, clean, tastefully decorated with excellent amenities. The view of the rain forest and river is great. The staff make this holiday extra special. The management, restaurant staff, butlers, spa therapists etc are so kind, friendly and treat us like family. They do what they can to make our stay memorable. On one occasion I was not well for a couple of days and the staff were so caring bringing me fresh coconut water and ginger tea etc to assist me. We love going back each year and highly recommend this resort. the spa facilities are great. I enjoy the yoga classes.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Dear dianne_oz,

Thank you for staying with us at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa by L’OCCITANE and thank you for your wonderful review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests, we are very happy that you also enjoyed young coconut fresh harvesting from our garden.

Thank you for your nice review towards our service quality. We do try to please all palates and preferences. Furthermore, as you discovered, the resort is set inside green jungle, blessed with mesmerizing Ayung river valley view

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Kupu Kupu for our first two nights in Ubud.

The first night we stayed in a regular double room which was set further back from the famous villas which overlook the river.

Beds were huge, rooms super clean and furniture beautifully carved. We had just done a 30 hour journey and the beds were so comfortable and the room so dark once curtains closed resulted in an unwanted 4 hour nap (we were knackered though).

The second night we moved to a river view villa at the front of the hotel. This was the perfect start to our holiday and the room had stunning views of the jungle. Bed wasn't as large as the first one but the room was huge and included a giant bath tub (which FYI takes about an hour to fill). We also had dinner and breakfast in the room in which the staff were super attentive and happy to assist in all our needs no matter what time of the day.

As it was our anniversary they also provided us with a cute anniversary cake.

In regards to food - not the best we've had since being in Bali (but we have eaten at some of the best restaurants bali/gilis have to offer). We ate at one of the restaurants on the first night - prices were similar to the London and we did experience more flavor some Indonesian food at alternative restaurants in ubud.

Breakfast however was great and we were provided with a huge selection and they were more than happy to bring this to our room. :).

Hotel is about 20 minutes outside of central ubud but the hotel does run a shuttle service from 9am -6pm. If traveling outside of this they offer a taxi into central ubud for 95,000 (around £5.50 GBP) or you can pick up local taxis in central ubud which are negotiable. We liked the fact that the hotel was away from the hustle and bustle of central ubud (especially monkey forest road) so was perfect if you want to relax and recharge.

Definitely would recommend anyone to stay here while in ubud especially the villas - great for honeymooners, celebrations and couple time.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear charliepr7,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially happy to hear that our associates delivered friendly, helpful and attentive service during your stay. Their commitment to take initiative with selfless sincerity and thoughtful courtesy has allowed them to fully recognize the needs of our guests. in regard of Food – our Chef will review in term of taste and variety for Lunch and dinner.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

This was suppose to be my luxury honeymoon destination and I have to say overall I was disappointed. Of course being my honeymoon and coming from my dream wedding in Canggu I expected a lot from my 5 star accommodation.
What I liked:
- Views were amazing
- Some of the food we had was really good
- Staff were absolutely lovely and always helpful
What I didnt like:
- The room (we had a stand-a-lone room close to the river with its own plunge pool) - was roomy and looked amazing but the floors were so creaky that even when you roll over in bed they creak really badly - in some places you thought they were going to give way. The spa was really nice but they shower wasnt hot enough even though we asked for it to be hotter. Unfortunately they were dredging the river the whole time we stayed so all we herd all day was machinery - not very peaceful. I get that the resort cant control that but it would have been nice to have been told beforehand and as they new it was our honeymoon maybe they could have shifted us. The thing that was most annoying about the room was that we had to traverse down steep slopes in a small golf buggy where you had to hold on for grim life because you always thought you were going to fall out - especially going back up the hill. Where you get dropped off or picked up from the buggy is still another 76 steps to and from your villa which would have been nice to have been told as I was 3 weeks of a fractured ankle.
The Spa:
I had 2 massages included in the price I paid for my villa and I have to say that I have had better $15 massages in Bali and when I looked at the price I was shocked to see that they change over $100 AUD for the massage. The first massage was in a little open hut with the same views as our room but higher up but unfortunately the machinery dredging the river distracted from the peacefulness. The second one I had was in a hut next to the spa entrance and when I put my face in the whole for the massage all I can smell was really strong stale sweat and the flowers I had to look at were already turning brown around the edges - this was not a 5 star massage.
Taxi's:
Dont get the resort to organise any sort of taxi or transport for you - if you havent been to Bali before they are a complete rip off - get the shuttle in to Ubud and negotiate with a driver there - you will get it for half the price of what the resort is charging.

Overall this is not a 5 star resort - its unfortunate that this was driven home when I booked a massage in the resort 10 min walk away and saw what a 5 star resort and massage was really like. This is a 4 star resort at best but if you wanted a 5 star resort I wish I had booked the Mandapa Resort down the road.

ps - I forgot to add that this resort is on the river that everyone does white water rafting on so from about 11am you do here a lot of screaming and yelling - which was ok because it just drowned out the machinery for a bit.

Room Tip: I had room 19 which was suppose to be the best room I think - closes to the river
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sara E

Dear Sara E,

Firstly I must specifically thank you for choosing our Resort for your stay in Ubud.

I am sad and sorry to read your review regarding your stay experience at our resort.

I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering expected services. This isn’t an excuse however… we have shared your review with our executive team so that corrective measures are taken as our utmost priority is to deliver an excellent holiday through impeccable facilities and irreproachable service. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues that you described.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and gracious remarks.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

5 Star luxury villa with private infinite pool. The website was a little confusing as we wanted a villa with twin beds - which they could not guarantee but they gave us a free upgrade to a two bedroom family room with gorgeous views over the valley. It was jaw dropping - private indoor spa as well the outdoor infinite pool. Also comes with a personal butler and golf cart to take you around the resort. Only stayed one night but the cost at $410 AUD plus tax was well worth it. Staff warm and friendly and the Restaraunt was excellent.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Dear mhaerewa,

I am glad to learn that you're happy with your stay and have a great experience in our resort.

Please do recommend us to family and friends and we look forward to welcoming you back again whenever you plan your next visit to Ubud-Bali. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via kadek@kupubarong.com, my team and I remain at your service.