See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Together with my fiancée we had been invited to a wedding end of august 2012 and we truly enjoyed our time there. Because we wanted to discover the region we had decided to extend our stay by 3 nights. Of course the location was very well suited for a wedding but, as we discovered after the week-end, it is rather lovely and quite place.
Located next to the Dordogne river, within a three acre park, Chateau de Pitray is a beautiful blend of classic French architecture and interiors brought from travels to Asia and the Arab World.
Of course this place may not be right for you if you are looking at a typical 5* -hotel service. But it might just about be the right place if you enjoy the quitness and opulence of nature, a homely atmosphere and a good comfort of living.
The region is absolutely spellbinding and worth seeing and the food over there is just great.

Date of stay: August 2012
1  Thank HenryDurix
Reviewed 31 January 2012

What a wonderful place for our private wedding ceremony with family and friends, and what a careful way, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin arranged it. Starting in the early morning mist with a flower-ornated boat on the river Dordogne for the wedding couple and Mr. Benjamin as ceremonymaster. Then breakfast infront of the wonderful warming cheminee. All day long our international guests could use the whole place for the performance of their wedding gifts as for example sending out balloons, performing capoeira fights, playing piano, singing, dancing etc.. There was a coffee break in the afternoon and in the evening we had a delicious wedding meal including amuse gueules and champaign in the yard and then again infront of the cheminee.
It was at all times possible to cook special meal for the attending seven mostly small children and the children much enjoyed running around in the garden with its many adventourous corners and in the chateau. All our guests very much enjoyed living in one of the tasteful decorated rooms and strolling around the surroundings.
We were so lucky during these terrific four days / three nights stay and are very thankful for all the owners have done for us.
Great recommendation for the performance of ceremonial events.

Date of stay: October 2011
1  Thank DanielaBurkhardt
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I attend a 4 day wedding at this venue and have very mixed feelings about this venue.
So lets start with the good points:
• I had a newly renovated room which was clean and well presented with a nice bathroom
• The venue is very photogenic for stunning wedding photos
So lets consider how the following points would impact you if this was your wedding or your were a guest at the Chateau for a 4 day break:
• Not all the rooms have fans and given when we were there it was over 35c it made sleeping almost unbearable – and when I enquired about spare fans were told there weren’t enough, if you have a full venue you must have fan’s in all the rooms! Beware if staying there with young children.
• I got up late for breakfast and was told my one of the managers I could not have a plate or knife or fork until lunchtime even though I had my own food with me and on one evening the water was actually turned off in the kitchen so you we couldn’t wash up any spare glasses or plates for reuse.
• For the wedding breakfast they didn’t have enough for at least 1 champagne glasses per guest (there were only 70 of us – so not a massive wedding) so it meant you had to hold onto your glass all day long – This is completely unacceptable for a wedding venue!
• The morning after the wedding the management team had decided tidy the venue at 10am despite dancing until 4am. This had not been requested as it was to be done by the wedding party and then demanded payment for clearing up! Watch out for sneaky hidden extra charges.
• The venue only has iron chairs outside with no cushions and in France summer heat this is ridiculous and there were 3 very tatty deck chairs. If you are there for several days to relax you will find no where other than lying on a towel on the grass – This would be easy to fix with a few nice rattan sun loungers and comfortable outdoor seating
• If you are at the venue for any period of time and may want to take a visit to the surrounding areas don’t expect any information to be forthcoming from the venue staff – when I enquired about and flyers or information was informed that the Chateau was a venue not a hotel and walked off – so do your own research in advance.
• The management team appeared to make life as uncomfortable and un-customer friendly as possible during the 4 day stay . My friends who got married had enough and left the venue and their guests after day 3 due to the unpleasantness experienced with dealing with the managers – that should represent the impact they had on their experience – so be warned it may not all be smooth sailing!
• All in all this venue is stunning – but the managers had no concept of what makes “Good Customer Service”

Date of stay: August 2011
6  Thank Luke2781
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My company went here for a senior management corporate retreat - and all I was told about the venue was that we were going to a "Chateau" in the countryside - and I figured it would be all business. While much planning for our company for the coming year was accomplished during our two day stay, the thing that will stay with me for a lifetime is the simplistic beauty and peaceful setting that Château de Pitray.

The owner Michel looked after us personally throughout our stay and was an incredibly gracious host.

The food and wine were overwhelmingly good, and the setting made it even more enjoyable.

To top it off - the Château is located just a short drive (10Km?) from St. Emilion!

A true French Château experience that I will never forget. I cannot wait to go back again.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stay away from this Chateau at all cost.

My husband to be and I, took a week to look around different Chateau's in France. Firstly we had organised our trip and one of the potential venues was Chateau de Pitray. During the course of emailing them to book our stay we were offered two nights completely FREE of charge so that we could get a feel of the place, we had only planned for one day/night but we decided to take them up on what seemed a lovely offer. I had also asked many times in an emails before this offer of two nights free stay, how much it would cost for a nights stay.. i never got answered at all.

WELL after two nights stay we were asked to pay 300 euro's for the two nights. We explained that we had infact been emailed and offered two nights free. They said that was not the case and that we would only have the money back if we booked our wedding there (now although this is a common process). We were not expecting that at all after the emails regarding a stay with them. And actually I have no idea how they decided upon that cost at all. When we got home and emailed them regarding what had happened, forwarded the original email to them... they have told us there is nothing they can do and are not interested in the confusion caused and will not refund any part of it. Two different managers and an owner that have not decided on costs, for anything!

To add to this we also had a meeting regarding cost's of a wedding package. The whole pricing is very confused and seems like no matter how many times they say no hidden costs there are tons. Firstly we were told by one of the managers that there is no corkage charge on the wine as they do NOT have a lincence so are not able to charge for alcohol... (which is the normal pratice with chateau's that don't have a lincence) then we were told that infact it is 4 euros a bottle charge.

As wedding's there are normally for a weekend if you are coming from the UK you are offered to have a buffet (of two tagines) done by the female manager for 35 euros a head... this so kindly includes a glass of wine! They charge SO much for what they offer. And when you compare it to the costs of other chateau's that offer the same event but with better rooms, swimming pools, kitchens etc etc the list goes on it is a joke how much they try and charge for what is offered.

Not just this you do have ANY fresh bread or cheese for breakfast its frozen and then just cooked in the morning... you are in FRANCE... bread and cheese should be fresh.

I have a huge list of things that are wrong with this venue, and it mainly comes down to the owner and the people who run it. You feel like like you should be even grateful to them... and much like a review I have read on here there is a strong feeling of being smug and you are lucky to get what you get.. at a BIG cost!

DO NOT BOTHER WITH IT!