“Underwhelming ”

Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre is best-known as the home of the world-famous Lovell Telescope -A near 90m high radio telescope that has become an iconic landmark on the Cheshire landscape. Seeing the telescope up close and in action is an exhilarating sight and the Centre's interactive displays and exhibits help explain what the telescope does and how it works. The Discovery Centre also includes a cafe and gift shop, along with 35 acres of gardens and arboretum, complete with picnic areas and playground, perfect for a family day out. You'll also find a year-round events programme including live science shows taking place during school holidays, a popular evening lecture series, and the award-winning annual festival of discovery, Bluedot.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We have just given this attraction a second go and are still underwhelmed. The entry is very high for what is on offer. The staff are pretty disengaged and have no passion for science.

The indoor exhibit is dull and hasn’t changed in years. Some of the exhibits both indoor and outdoors were broken.

The Lovell telescope is incredible and that is worth seeing.

The cafe was ok. Miserable staff who didn’t really engage. I cleared and cleaned my own table so we could sit down. Food expensive for what you get.

We booked the Science Show too and this was probably the most underwhelming show I’ve been to! The presenter was weak and had no real energy for what she was doing. Two of the four experiments didn’t work. I could’ve done better experiments myself at home. There was no wow factor!

All in all this is a lost opportunity to engage people and families with science. We definitely won’t bother again.

1  Thank TravellerEdinburgh
in 33 reviews
"information boards"
"packed lunch"

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Jodrell bank seemed like a wonderful place to go filled with wonders of the sights. The view of the radio telescope was amazing, it's just a shame you couldn't walk all the way around it. I have to be honest I thought there was going to be a lot of things to see, but really there are just 2-3 rooms of educational things. I understand this is an educational place, but they could make it a bit more interesting. I feel as though they just gave the aspects of the gardens special names when really it's just a regular garden. They could add a bit more to the 'play area' in the gardens- we had a show at 2 and had been everywhere else before, so we had an hour to wait and we thought the play area would be good to go to but the kids got bored quickly. The staff weren't too interactive- except the one who did the show- when we entered we went through to a room and the girl just stood and watched us when we didn't know what to do really. It could be really improved with some adjustments so it makes it a fun place rather than just educational.

1  Thank Grace M
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I remember visiting as a teenager and enjoying the interactive displays and planetarium. Sadly there is no longer a planetarium. I addition some of the interactive displays were broken and others seemed a bit dated. The gardens were out of bounds due to construction work. Despite this the entry fee was high. We enjoyed the view of the telescope and the lecture. The whole visit lasted only an hour so really not worth the entry fee asked for.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived there this morning with my young son. We decided to get something to eat in the cafe before we explored the surroundings. I paid £6 for a sausage, bacon & egg butty. When it came it was awful and I mean awful. I had to return it and ask for a refund which they gave me.

We then went to look around the facilities and found there wasn't much at all. There were no staff around to explain anything, and very quickly my young son lost interest.

Myself and my partner found the whole morning extremely disappointing.

A complete waste of money. Very disappointed as it has the potential to be amazing.

Won't be returning

2  Thank Simon O
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I've read a few negative reviews here, ignore them and bear in mind this is a real research centre, not alton towers! Its not that expensive for what it is. My only regret was we left the gardens till to late and had to leave. Also like the way the cafe is placed with a view of the dish, and you dont have to pay the admission if you just want a coffee and cake.
Fair point about the planitarium though, it would be a good addition in the future. My eldest was 6 and it was a bit advanced for him I would say its ideal for 8+ Year old.