“Hmmm - I'm probably a bit picky but....?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Egham
“Hmmm - I'm probably a bit picky but....?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

I'm a bit perplexed with this one - having read the previous reviews I was pretty excited and expecting something special I duly pushed the boat out on one of the Suites (Princess and Pea - aptly named because the bed was pretty uncomfy - I'm fussy on beds so it could suit you just fine) at a special rate of £160 per night B&B..
On the plus, the hotel was easy to find, loads of parking, lovely greeting and introduction to the room along with an offer of fresh milk for drinks. So far so good we thought and set out to explore Midhurst which is a lovely town.
Back to the room and change for dinner..... things started to go downhill here - the menu is pretty limited (unless you want steak) and of the limited 6 or 7 starters listed - 2 were unavailable..... We skipped starters as the Parfait and the Scallops which were not available had been our choices and we directly to main course. My husband ordered Pork Belly with Calvados and we were amused to hear the bar team searching high and low for Calvados for the sauce - they didn't find it and a shot of Courvoisier was selected as an alternative (no one advised us of this or mentioned it - but with ringside seats in the bar we were well aware). The main courses were fabulous - lovely quality food, nicely presented and full of flavour. Desert choices were again pretty liminted - but the cholocate brownie will not disappoint.
Breakfast continued in the same vane - the food was lovely!
We enjoyed breakfast both days but ate out on our second night - the limited choices did not really appeal to us - shame the menu is not a little fuller as the chef clearly knew exactly what he was doing!
Now to the room - bit disappointing - I think a fresh eye on the cleaning would really help - the dirt between the sash windows and the secondary double glazing was pretty grim and the dead spider fossil in one of them was off putting. The windows could do with a clean - inside and out. The Luxury bathroon did not really do it for me - I think it is 80s luxury and not what you would expect of the tag line today. Minor niggles which are probably petty but irritated me none the less were the plastic disposable cups in the bathroom - at $185 a night for this room B&B midweek I would expect a glass, and also the biscuits which were provided in the room on the first night were not replaced...ditto the shower gel which was pea sized to start with..... petty and pennies worth but still a let down...
Midhurst is a great location to explore and perfect for exploring other local towns and villages - Petworth and the Weald Museam are a must - but I'm not sure the Angel offered good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear Je_and Ja

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review regarding you recent stay with us at the Angel Hotel. It is very important to us to hear about all of our guests experiences. I would like to thank you for your very positive comments regarding the lovely welcome you received in addition to the positive comments regarding our facilities. I have passed on your praise to our head chef and breakfast team and they are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food. The chef sends his apologies that a couple of the starters were not available, he always tries to ensure that we order enough food on a daily basis to ensure that we obtain the freshest ingredients but sadly on occasions we do run out of certain items, so please accept his apologies.
With regard to the experience of the bedroom I have raised all your points with the head housekeeper and her team and they were all very disappointed to hear that our normal high standards were not achieved on this occassion. In our most recent AA inspection our housekeeping team achieved a 93% rating equal to a top quality 4 star hotel ,so it came as a big wake up call for them to hear that we had clearly failed to maintain that high standard for you, so on behalf of all the team please accept our apologies. You will be pleased to here that we have just changed all of our bathroom products to a new luxury brand, Gilchrist and Soames Spa range, it has arrived this week and will enhance the quality feel within all of the bathrooms, furthermore we have also added to the range with the addition of new face cloths, and vanity sets.
With regard to your comments regarding the replenishment of the biscuits and shower gel I am unable to offer an explanation as to why these items would not have been replaced as we always have a plentiful supply in stock and are always delighted to send extra biscuits to a room should they run out. I understand this was a small niggle for you but for us we do not like to feel that we have not given you the service or attention to detail you deserve as a valued customer.
I am sorry that we did not manage to exceed your expectations on this occassion but are hopeful you will allow us to do so in the near future.
If you decide that you would like to return to Midhurst again then please let me know and I would be delighted to assist you with making a booking personally and as a gesture on our behalf arrange the best rate we can offer as well as a complimentray upgrade.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback.

kind regards

Richard Macadam
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Paignton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

Have stayed here a couple of times, great position for access to the South or South East. Would recomend it for either business or leisure, food is fantastic, hospitality is very good & you will always have a warm welcome. Highly recomended

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear Karlos

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review regarding your stay at the Angel Hotel. I am so pleased that you contine to enjoy our warm hospitality, the positive welcome and the friendly and unobstrusive service.
I hope that next time you are staying in the area you contact me directly and i will do my best to upgrade your room to the best availbale on the evening.

Thank you for your continued support and feedback.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

We arrived on the Saturday afternoon and was shown to our premier room, which was a lovely large bright room with a huge bed and a good size en suite. We were at the back of the hotel which was very quiet overlooking the garden. The bed was extrememly comfortable with the best pillows ever! We had booked dinner in the evening and the food was lovely, definitely recommend the Argentinean steak, very tasty. The staff were lovely and couldn't do enough to enhance our stay. Midhurst although small has some lovely shops which are worth a little mooch around, and some very nice coffee shops. Petworth House is just down the road and although the house was closed when we visited, the grounds themselves are worth a visit. Would definitiely recommend The Angel Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
May I start by thanking you for you recent review of the Angel hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. It is always great for the team to hear that you enjoyed the ambience and quality of the Angel. Our Argentinean steaks are always the highlight of our menu and are complimented by the rest of the menu carefully chosen by our kitchen team.
I do hope that next time you are looking to come and stay that you contact me directly and i wil do my best to ensure that you enjoy room 16 again and again.
Thanks again for your review and feedback of you recent stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

kind regards
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

A very nice hotel well situated, the staff were very nice and helpfull. The food was excellent, steaks to die for very well cooked. The breakfast was extremly good.
The rooms were very nice and comfortable, even comes with bathrobes and slippers a nice touch.
If we had to fine a negative point was the shower controls in the shower it was near impossible to get it right either to hot or to cold, but then again its often a problem in UK hotels.
Would highly recomend to hotel and we are certain to return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your recent review regarding your stay with us at the Angel.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience. We pride ourselves on the level of comfort and service we offer and as a team are always working hard to maintain standards in all areas.
I have advised our maintenance department about your comment regarding the shower mixer tap, and has now been adjusted to make it easier to get the right balance of water.
I am so please that you enjoyed our steaks, we have gained a fantastic reputation for our quality food offering, the highlight being our Argentinean steaks.
Thank you again for your fantastic feedback.
If I can assist you with another booking in the future please let me know and i will make sure I handle your booking personally.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Stayed two nights for a special anniversary in one of the two junior suites. Arrived late on Friday to a chilled bottle of wine and delicious buffet supper already waiting for us. Four-poster bed very comfortable, although bathroom a little chilly and stark by comparison with the otherwise opulent decor.
Great breakfast, and the room had been made by the time we got back from a short stroll around town. Dinner in the restaurant very good too - especially the Argentinian steak - although attention to detail sometimes lacking. Left on the Sunday having requested a late check out. All in all, a lovely short break from London, and not too far away. Staff courteous and cheerful at all times. My only gripe was Cheryl Cole over breakfast - the receptionist told me she loved her - so maybe not 100% customer focussed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AngelmanMidhurst, General Manager at The Angel Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2011
Dear Whingeypom

What a shame about your name , we certainly did not feel you were any of the sort. Thank you for your review regarding the weekend you recently spent with us at the Angel.
I do appreciate all the feedback you left both positive and constructive.
Out team does work very hard to maintain customer focus at all times, I am sorry that the choice of music playing was not appreciated, we have a system that plays a variety of music designed for hotels and restaurants.
I am pleased that our housekeeping department exceeded your expectations regarding service and our chef performed equally well with his offering.
Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel , i know you were going to stay at one of our local competitors but i understand you were delighted with your final choice of destination.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
0.5 km away
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 7 in Arundel
11.6 km away
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course

Been to The Angel Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK