I stayed here at the end of April 2012 on a Groupon offer, for two nights, and I have to say that I felt I was constantly being slightly conned. The offer was apparently based on the rack rate for May (so would have been a bargain in July!) but in March or April it is actually cheaper to walk in off the street. I had paid for a double room through the offer, but having admitted I was alone was given a single. The "special price" on dinner was £4 dearer than the price charged to arrivals off the street, did not include a bottle of sparkling wine as claimed, had cheese or sweet instead of cheese and sweet as claimed on the website and was really nothing special. The atmosphere was like a function, all sit down together, all get soup together and so on. Best avoided, there are many good eating places around the hotel.
Breakfast menu is good but helpings are small - fair enough, I suppose, as the hotel caters mainly to pensioner coach parties and would waste a lot of food otherwise.
I have to say the place appeared to have been redecorated, my room was tiny but well fitted and the shower-room was spacious enough and appeared to be brand-new. Water was hot, toiletries provided but the towels very small. I rather enjoyed the Victorian atmosphere, and the public rooms are comfortable enough to sit in and read if the weather is wet!
This hotel is probably better than most in Ilfracombe but check any offer rates against a comparison site and do your eating and drinking elsewhere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at Devon Bay Hotel. Its Stately Victorian exterior fully compliments the stylish and characteristic interior, blending old and new styles to create a unique and exciting environment. Our large and airy restaurant looks out to the front of the hotel, serving freshly prepared breakfast and dinner every day. We also have a large bar and comfortable lounge areas, which are great to sit and enjoy a drink and relax. The Devon Bay Hotel is ideally located in the bustling centre of Ilfracombe, minutes from the cliff tops and beautiful sandy beach, meaning guests have everything they need within walking distance. Our aim at Devon Bay Hotel is to ensure that your stay with us is pleasurable. You will always receive a friendly warm welcome, whether you are visiting us for lunch or dinner, a function or an overnight stay. Whether business or pleasure, why not make the Devon Bay Hotel first on your list of new venues to visit - we look forward to welcoming you. Step outside and you are on the Promenade with its many shops, cafes, and the Landmark Theatre complex. Open all year around, we offer Christmas and New Year Packages and our nightly entertainment ensures that your visit to the Devon Bay Hotel will be enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Devon Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Hotel Ilfracombe
- Devon Bay Hotel Ilfracombe