“Needing attention !”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
United Kingdom
“Needing attention !”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Booked a double room for two nights and paid extra for an ungrade !
A few days Prior to arrival sent a e mail to hotel asking for a quiet room and aslo enquiring about hotel entertainment. We recieved no reply.
Arrived on a Saturday afternoon 24 March . Checked in by Raynor one of the owners.
I asked if our room had a shower and he said yes we were lucky. I advised him i had read reviews and some people unhappy with just a bath. His reply was he never reads the reviews. ( maybe he should )
We were given room 156 . This 2was found by going up a steep set of stairs , down another , up another and then down another . If you have mobility issues forget this hotel .Eventually found our room on the ground floor at the left side of hotel as you face it . A nearby street adjacent. Just outside our room was a flimsy fire door which opened directly ontop the street. We had the key to this door so used this instead of front and trying to tackle the stairs.
The room was dated very small ( think the bed may of been smaller than average double)
.The bed had sheets and blankets and was very hard as were the pillows Towels had seen better days.Small tv and tea/ coffee making facilities. Bathroom had a shower which was very small.
Major problem with this room apart from the size was the noise.On times you would think we had visitors in the room the voices were so loud and the noise from room above.

We had booked a four course dinner on the saturday night but changed this to the SUN Instead. However we did return later in the eve to sample the entertainment. Shouldnt of bothered it was dire !!! Las Vegas night. You had to be over 75 to join in .

Breakfast was ok on both mornings but please do not book Dinner in this hotel.
Sun eve dinner was fruit jiuce or soup , beef dinner or plain omellette ,pudding ice cream or sherry trifle followed by coffee. It was very poor. The soup so thin you could see the bottom of the bowl and this was served with half a slice of white bread. The trifle was dreafull and coffee served with cartons of uht milk.

The dressing table stool in our room had a big burn in it , not attractive.

Car parking was down a lane opposite and big enough for five cars only.

Ilfracombe is a town which is struggeling .Full of litter , dog poo and undesireable young people shouting and scraeming at each other.

We were forty years too late .

Do not recommend this hotel or Ilfracombe sadly :(

Room Tip: Do not choose one here !!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank location125
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
birmingham
Reviewed 14 March 2012

very good hotel nice food staff are great the only thing wrong with this hotel is there was a big spider in my room

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kbuddle
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I turned up at the hotel at 12:07am 7 minutes after I should of and I was locked out!! I had driven from London for 5 hours after work to get here! I then rang the bell several times I call the main reception several times I could hear the phone ringing in the hotel and no one had picked up. I then started to knock on the door several times and still no one answered. I then had a police officer pull up by me and thought I was breaking in!!!! I was nearly arrested but then the police officer was kind enough to try and help after realizing what had happened. He started banging on the door and calling...... no response still. I then had to go with the officer to other hotels locally and book into another hotel 25 miles away. I was livid! I went the next day to resolve this and he said point blank I am sorry but there is nothing we can do. NO REFUND NOTHING!!!! What hotel gives you a curfew at 11:15pm and locks you out?? They actually had a sign on the door saying this!!!!

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MoroccoMole_12345

Travellers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

UK
Reviewed 26 February 2012

After reading the previous reviews we were a bit unsure what to expect. On booking we decided to pay an extra £20 for an upgraded room .Yes the hotel is traditional none of your boutique upgrades here, but our room had tea making facilities, and a hairdryer. The sheets were clean and the double bed was comfortable,we also did had a large shower too. We easily found the 6 bayed car park after dropping off our suitcases at reception we drove down a driveway opposite straight to them. We managed to get a space easily each day. We found the staff very friendly, helpful and hardworking. We only had breakfast during our stay, I didn't want to have a full English they accommodated my choice of scrambled eggs with mushrooms on toast on the first day and beans and poached egg on toast on the following day .Both were hot and delicious. OK it's not the Ritz, but we had a pleasant stay, it was value for money, it was in walking distance to the harbour and to the shops and if we came back to Ilfracombe we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank BrendaEngland
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a Groupon 2 night package for £79. We got a bit over-excited by the price and quickly booked without undertaking prior research. We arrived late on a Saturday afternoon and drove around the hotel a number of times looking for the car park. We eventually asked at reception and were told that we could park on the road outside the hotel pay-and-display. Luckily as we had arrived after 6 on a Saturday we were able to park free of charge until we left on the Monday morning. I hate to think what the parking situation would be like in the height of summer though! We never did find the hotel car park, but looking at other reviews it only appears to hold about 5 cars anyway.

The hotel itself is extremely out-dated and tired. The main areas of the hotel aren't too bad and actually looked quite nice as they had been decorated ready for Christmas. The room itself was very basic and looked like it hadn't been refurbished since the 1970's/80's. It had everything needed such as a beds to sleep, telvision, basic coffee and tea making facilities so we decided to view it as that, just somewhere to sleep and didn't spend much time in the room. After reading other reviews it appears that we were very lucky to have had a room with a shower, as I would have been horrified to have had just a bath with no means of washing my hair! The toilet/shower appeared clean enough, just again tired and in need of upgrading. The room itself was clean and the beds were comfy enough to sleep in.

I can't really comment much on the food as we only had breakfast there once and dined out for the rest of the weekend. Breakfast was a bit of a joke though. Tables are allocated for each room and you literally have to keep looking until you find your name. Nobody told us this though and you have to work it out for yourself, which is easy enough to do, but it would have been nice to have been given instructions on entering the the dining area. We looked for our table for a while before asking a waitress who instructed us to carry on looking and didn't bother to help us at all. We eventually noticed a dining area up some steps and finally found our table. I ordered some cereal which wasn't great as the milk was warm. My husband ordered a full english which was disappointing and contained what can only be described as potato tots as an alternative to hash browns. As already stated we decided not to eat there again.

Ilfracombe itself seemed quite nice. Very quiet, as would be expected in November, so not a lot was happening and many of the shops were closed. This suited us though as it was very relaxing. There is an old cinema in the town though which shows the latest films and ticket prices are very cheap!! It is very old fashioned and the seats aren't very comfortable but as a consequence the prices are extremely reasonable.

In summary I think Ilfracombe is nice and I would visit again but I would not stay in the Grosvenor again. I suppose we got what we paid for, consider though that the price had been heavily discounted, I would have been disgusted if we had paid full price and would have demanded our money back! Groupon buyers beware, it is not the bargain that you think it is!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple