Booked a double room for two nights and paid extra for an ungrade !
A few days Prior to arrival sent a e mail to hotel asking for a quiet room and aslo enquiring about hotel entertainment. We recieved no reply.
Arrived on a Saturday afternoon 24 March . Checked in by Raynor one of the owners.
I asked if our room had a shower and he said yes we were lucky. I advised him i had read reviews and some people unhappy with just a bath. His reply was he never reads the reviews. ( maybe he should )
We were given room 156 . This 2was found by going up a steep set of stairs , down another , up another and then down another . If you have mobility issues forget this hotel .Eventually found our room on the ground floor at the left side of hotel as you face it . A nearby street adjacent. Just outside our room was a flimsy fire door which opened directly ontop the street. We had the key to this door so used this instead of front and trying to tackle the stairs.
The room was dated very small ( think the bed may of been smaller than average double)
.The bed had sheets and blankets and was very hard as were the pillows Towels had seen better days.Small tv and tea/ coffee making facilities. Bathroom had a shower which was very small.
Major problem with this room apart from the size was the noise.On times you would think we had visitors in the room the voices were so loud and the noise from room above.
We had booked a four course dinner on the saturday night but changed this to the SUN Instead. However we did return later in the eve to sample the entertainment. Shouldnt of bothered it was dire !!! Las Vegas night. You had to be over 75 to join in .
Breakfast was ok on both mornings but please do not book Dinner in this hotel.
Sun eve dinner was fruit jiuce or soup , beef dinner or plain omellette ,pudding ice cream or sherry trifle followed by coffee. It was very poor. The soup so thin you could see the bottom of the bowl and this was served with half a slice of white bread. The trifle was dreafull and coffee served with cartons of uht milk.
The dressing table stool in our room had a big burn in it , not attractive.
Car parking was down a lane opposite and big enough for five cars only.
Ilfracombe is a town which is struggeling .Full of litter , dog poo and undesireable young people shouting and scraeming at each other.
We were forty years too late .
Do not recommend this hotel or Ilfracombe sadly :(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at Devon Bay Hotel. Its Stately Victorian exterior fully compliments the stylish and characteristic interior, blending old and new styles to create a unique and exciting environment. Our large and airy restaurant looks out to the front of the hotel, serving freshly prepared breakfast and dinner every day. We also have a large bar and comfortable lounge areas, which are great to sit and enjoy a drink and relax. The Devon Bay Hotel is ideally located in the bustling centre of Ilfracombe, minutes from the cliff tops and beautiful sandy beach, meaning guests have everything they need within walking distance. Our aim at Devon Bay Hotel is to ensure that your stay with us is pleasurable. You will always receive a friendly warm welcome, whether you are visiting us for lunch or dinner, a function or an overnight stay. Whether business or pleasure, why not make the Devon Bay Hotel first on your list of new venues to visit - we look forward to welcoming you. Step outside and you are on the Promenade with its many shops, cafes, and the Landmark Theatre complex. Open all year around, we offer Christmas and New Year Packages and our nightly entertainment ensures that your visit to the Devon Bay Hotel will be enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Devon Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Hotel Ilfracombe
- Devon Bay Hotel Ilfracombe