All reviews national holidays free drinks shearings hotels shearings holiday self drive stair lift coach driver third floor weekend break small lift evening meal per day restaurant staff upgraded room entertainment room meal times buffet breakfast
Reviewed 8 September 2018

We have just come back from ilfracombe with Shearings. It was a good holiday. And the hotel was good. All the Staff throughout the hotel were very nice and very helpful they always had time to speak to you asking how your day had been.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I'm pleased to read that you had a good holiday, and the staff were very helpful, I will pass your comments onto the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

We stayed here for a long weekend at the end of August 2018...The Hotel was situated in the centre of town..the lovely harbour was a ten minute walk and very busy on the Saturday afternoon, which made a very happy atmosphere... The staff were friendly. Our room was an upgrade..it was a lovely room, comfortable bed and everything we needed to enjoy our stay...Food average...breakfast was Self Service, with plenty of choice...I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Upgrade to.. above a standard room...
1  Thank kathleen_meads
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel lovely, clean and comfortable. The staff will be pleased to see that you found the friendly. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

I recently went on a 5 day holiday with National Coaches, there was myself, sister and auntie who is 84. The room we were in was a family room on the ground floor, which we had to go down a couple of steps to the room. It was bedroom no.3 I can honestly say it was the worst room I have ever been in. I have taken photos of the room as It was disguting. I complained straight away and was offered a double room and a single room, on the third floor,which meant we were not all together. There was no air conditioning, no extractor fan in the bathroom, which contained a shower sink and toilet.
The hotel had four floors with only one lift that only went to the third floor so god help anyone on the fourth floor. There was no sevice lift, so every one had to share the slow lift. The food was very basic and a lot of the guests ate out. Thursday they offered us a steak night but they only had 30 steaks so if you wanted on it would cost you around about £12.
The head staff were very strict with the waitresses and waiters who appeared to be mainly foreighn, at breakfast a young waitress was helping an elderly lady get an orange juice and the head waitress said to her they are more than capable of getting their own, which I replied some of them are not, bearing in mind the average age of the guests were over 70. I can honestly say it was not a very nive holiday.
One lady showed me a photo of the sign outside her shower saying warning 16 inch step into the shower, totally unacceptable. Hotel old and musty needs a lot of renovation to bring it up to standard

Room Tip: There wasn't any good rooms
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank valeriemisseldine
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Your feedback is important and will help us to improve where needed. After reading your review, we have redecorated room 3 and fitted a new toilet.
Regarding the steak meal, it is not part of the menu and is offered as an upgrade. Steaks are ordered the day before to the local butcher and we had only received 30 requests, that is why we had 30 steaks. If we have had more request, the Chef had ordered more.
All members of staff work really hard to make sure our customers have a nice time with us.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here on a National Holidays trip .Hotel is large and sadly only one small lift .Although needs updating a bit rooms although basic were very clean and plenty of tea and coffee available .
Meals at hotel were fine and plenty of choice .Our last evening we had a lovely steak meal for a supplement .
Hotel is situated 10 mins walk from harbour .Staff very friendly and many thanks to Jackie who kept our room beautiful .

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, I'm pleased to read that you found the staff very friendly and your holiday good value for money. I will pass your comments onto the chef as he will be pleased to see that you enjoyed the meals and choice on offer, especially the steak night. Jackie will also be delighted to see that she kept your room beautiful.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Just returned home nice hotel but the usual standard for a bus trip hotel if you book with national holidays you will be put in the worst rooms than being a shearings customer the rooms are 60s style drab the carpet in 223 was laid like a rinos skin easy 10 plus years old I reckon about a £700 spend would brink them up to a decent standard the plus is that they have upgraded the mattresses and adjust the window openers slightly so we can breathe at night

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Matthew S, Deputy Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I'm pleased to read that although you found the hotel basic as you said its a nice hotel. All our rooms are used for both National and Shearing's customers, there is no preference. The Company has a refurbishment programme in place and we refurbish rooms when possible. We look forward to seeing you again soon.