All reviews alfa travel alfa coach leisureplex hotels landmark theatre sea view meal times evening entertainment well run hotel bit dated walking difficulties large hotel seaside resort steep hill coach parties enjoyable holiday served hot clean hotel
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Well how do I start ? I suppose bye reading TripAdvisor reviews, and if I took any notice of them I would have cancelled this trip, awe have traveled with Alfa travel for the past five years now and I must say that you always can find something that is not quite right but nothing is ever life and death problems,and this one is no different from being picked up bye Simon at Romford to being dropped off at our hotel in ilfracombe by Trevor was always going to be a steady experience as Alfas coach and drivers are always very good, even the transfer at Reading services went well,which sometimes can be a problem, on entering the hotel you c be entering any of Leisureplex s hotels ,we were given room 312 sea view and as with the rest of the hotel it was a bit dated ,but perfectly acceptable and the room had been cleaned to a very high standard,the only grown was that we always say for a walk in shower as my wife has walking problems and finds it a problem to negotiate a bath to use the shower, and this room did not have this type of shower which was not the end of the world and you just get on with it, as previously stated on other reports we found the dining area large but needs to be brighter as there's no windows at a low level,but this certainly didn't have any reflections on the standard of food or service which wasn't too bad and certainly wasn't worth complaining about , in fact you always got more than enough food and if you wanted extra you only had to ask for it, the entertainment I feel was not to the usual high hotel standard but perhaps it was due to the way the building is constructed there's a number of support pillars which obstruct the view of the stage area from certain parts of the room,and for bingo lovers there's always the problem of people talking whilst the games are in progress,then again it's not everyone who wants to play the game,with reference to the ongoing trips whilst in residence I did enjoy our trip to Lynmouth and the old town of Dunster ,and the visit to Hartland abbey was very interesting but I can't understand why the tour company thinks it's necessary to include two town area tours Biddeford was a very nice area also Barnstable but you don't need both,thank god there was a Wetherspoon at Barnstaple and one just along the road from the hotel at ilfracombe , all in all another holiday under our belt which certainly was not over priced and very good value for money,possibly not one of the best leisureplex hotels that we have been to but perfectly acceptable,the trouble is we went to the Cottage hotel in st Ives in June which has obviously ruined our next trip so we have to look forward to our next trip returning to porthcawl South Wales for Christmas.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank dennissimpson28
Reviewed 10 September 2018

after reading some of the reviews prior to going to the Imperial hotel I was quiet delighted by using my own judgement and decided and try it out ,as with ALPHA travel we picked up our coach at Romford for our trip to Reading services and was delighted to see Simon the driver who we have travelled with on previous trips , the change over at Reading was very smooth and we went on to Ilfracombe with our new driver Trevor who we haven't travelled with on previous trips , the coach was clean and looked to be well maintained although did not have a wi fi connection which some of the new ones have ,which was a shame had to use our own data ,the journey to Devon passed quiet quickly and we got to our hotel around 16-30 ,on arrival we was welcomed by the hotel manager who told us loads of things that most people are not interested in all you want to do is get off the coach , still it has to be done ,the reception is the same as most of leisurplex s hotels ,seen one you have seen them all ,and we was given our room key 312 sea view except for those concrete cooling towers sited right in front of our hotel ( how the council planning department ever approved them I will never know ,a total blot on the landscape) any way we had our see view and our room was of a reasonable size with a connecting corridor between the main room and the fire exit door which meant it was very quiet never heard any noise from any neighbours ,the down side was in the bath room which was the shower was accessed via stepping into the bath ,we always ask for a shower cubical as my wife has access problems and finds it very hard to raise her legs when getting into a bath ,still its not the end of the world and you put up with it ,people had previously committed on the dinning room and yes we did find it over bearing and dimly lit unfortunately with the height of the room and the high windows there not much that can be done about it ,but it did not have any effect on the service or quality of food that we received ,which was very good at all sittings and if you wanted extra you just asked for it , unfortunately I found the entertainment wasn't as good as we have had at other hotels within this company's group the actual dance floor is tiny and there is support pillars sited to one side which obviously hold the building up ,so you cannot get a view of the entertainer if you are sitting on one side of the room ,bingo is on every night and I must admit I am not a fan of it but my wife likes it ,the biggest problem is that people who don't wat to indulge in the game sit and talk which does cause some friction at times ,the build has two bars one adjacent to the first floor restaurant and the other adjacent to the said dance hall area both are staffed by some very responsible helpful people ,and had a good selection of drinks on sale . we found all areas of the hotel vey clean and although certain aspects of decoration needed renewing the building is surviving quiet well , with reference to our trips I really did not think they were as good as we have had in the past the trip to Lynmouth and Dunster was very good and the trip to Hartland Abbey was excellent this one was linked to the visit to Bideford which Is a lovely area but sited on the river bank it was a town area also included in the trips was a visit to Barnstable yet another town the best part was the set down point was opposite Wetherspoons so we spent the last hour trying out the local ales which was quiet a delight , over all impressions of this trip was its not as bad as some people make out but some aspects could have been better ,the staff in this hotel are as in other of leisureplexs hotels very good ,our biggest problem was that we have just come back from the Cottage hotel in St Ives which was very good and had wonderful sea views so we will be looking forward to our next trip in south wales at Christmas enjoy and don't always believe what you read ,make your own opinion.

Room Tip: sea view third or fourth floor
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I would not have checked into to this dreadful establishment had I had the opportunity to have read a review by 'mrsainders504' before paying for a holiday. That review sums up this hotel perfectly and further comment is unnecessary other than to say the bathroom and walk in shower was the only redeeming feature. The lift continues to breakdown frequently.

Room Tip: First Floor to avoid too many stairs otherwise second floor
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald D
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Worst holiday ever, saved all year to pay for a lovely break away only for it to be a co
Plate let down. upon arrival I thought I'd arrived at the local nursing home. After a 9hr journey I was served with PIG SWILL as my soup which I wouldn't serve to my dog. This left us leaving the hotel to purchase out evening meal in the weather spoons down the road this also was the case on Thursday as again the food was unsatisfactory once again. The room we had was so small for a group of 3 adults we could hardly move in the room and felt like we was cooped up in a rabbit hutch. Couldn't wait to leave the place. Needless to say I will never recommend and will never return.

Below is just a few photographs found with this hotel

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle M
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

On a first glance 'The Imperial' looks quite enterprising until you enter the building. On the step into the porch area was a very unwelcoming dull brown mat which was clearly on its last legs. Leading on through to the reception it felt old and stuck deep in the past. The reception desk was very modern but basic and there was no warmth or connection between the staff and the guests. If you had a question they made you feel like a burden. They were in the process of mending the lift and so they can be forgiven for me having to use the couple of flights of steps to reach my room. The corridors were tired and even sloped in places, clearly a spirit level had not been used in many places... the doors to each room were a dark brown colour and the door handles were dull silver round knobs. On entering my room it was worth noting the size of this room. It measures approximately 15ft square and had the smallest bathroom I have ever attempted to use. As you say on the toilet your chin could rest on the sink... no windows in the bathroom and the lock was very difficult to shut to. The door itself was a tongue in cheek effort measuring approximately 2 ft wide, very narrow. The window situation was very interesting as not only could people from the corridor look straight into your room but the rooms view looked strait onto the back of the elevator, not really sure why the room existed...? Now for my review of the breakfast... I needed to first of all find the restaurant as I had not been shown where it was on arrival. When I asked at the reception my question was answered with no eye contact and just a hand gesturing in the direction the restaurant might be, honestly the least effort given. On finding the restaurant I peculiarly had to walk through what I can only describe as a room from a national trust centre. After I had bypassed the fire places and chandeliers I was greeted by a room with many tables but no waiter/waitress. I had a look through to another room filled with a coach party but notably like the majority of the rest of the hotel appears to have no windows or they were high up, it did feel a little like a sports hall at this point... I stood looking for any sign of a direction as to what the process was as I had not been informed previously. I was left in the balance, do I need to wait for a table or do I just sit down? With 5 minutes passing I took the plunge and sat down at a table only for then a waitress to run across out of nowhere and say "ooh, I wouldn't sit there, a man was sitting there" she told me to wait for a moment while she "finds out what's going on". She then appeared out of a door in the previous room and exclaimed "follow me" to which she took me a few feet to my table and left me there. 15 minutes past and I still had not been told at this point they come and take your order rather than a buffet style... they clearly forgot I existed because nobody did come to take my order. I went up to get at least an orange juice and do you think I could find a clean glass from the stacks, no I couldn't, I was very concerned by this point. It got me questioning how long the milk had been sat on each table? In the end I checked out and had my breakfast in the Weatherspoons just down the street.
Overall plus points were the shower, that looked very nice and one of the best I've used only to be let down by its size. The lift was mended so that speeded travel up slightly. The negatives were it really felt old, the service by staff was quite poor, day light in most of the building was non existent and felt like a prison at times. Car parking was a 'first come first serve' basis for 4 spaces and you would be blocked in most of the time. Generally The Imperial hotel made Fawlty Towers look rather good.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends