“Fun, great food and friendly staff”
Review of Palm Court Hotel

and 1 more site!
Palm Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Fun, great food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I have just returned from a great holiday at the Palm Court, both my friend and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff are second to none, they really made our holiday always helpful anf friendly. Our room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel, always willing to give extra teas and coffees, you only have to ask. We loved the buffet breakfast, never been to a hotel which provided this before really made every day special. We liked where is was as well, right near the front and on the level, we sat out most evening in the gardens just down the road. Could have done with better weather but you cant have it all!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank chilli009
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Beaumaris, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I had read previous reviews but have never before let them put me off - but how I wish i had listened. My partner and i (in our early 60's) travelled with GB Tours for 4 days. The staff were very friendly and helpful but the hotel - oh my goodness! We were initially given a wrong room and hoped the correct one would have been better but no! The crinkly old carpet is a safety hazard for those a bit wobbly on their feet. The room was dated and poorly furnished but for a budget break I would not complain about that. The round bottom bath is also a safety hazard - a mat to put in the bath has to be booked at reception!! The bath mat is a piece of paper marked 'bath mat' presumably so you don't think it's a piece of old newspaper someone has left behind! Another of the guests actually had an electric wall heater in the bathroom!! The food is awful - really bad, so much so that on night 2 I left the fish which was meant to be cod (no way!) and i was violently ill soon after. The last night I settled for a salad as did the other ladies on the table. It was passable but no salad dressing, no mayo, no coleslaw (one of us went and bought a pot to share). Entertainment - well we don't bother with it but we were told that on the 2nd night it was so bad most people left early. The 'ballroom' was shocking! Straight out the 50's with it's hideous fluorescent strip lighting. This is not a hotel it's a care home without the care. I think the owners really don't care less!

Room Tip: My tip is - DON't GO THERE
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SnoopyCat_60
Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I have just returned from a 4 day coach holiday with a local company where we stayed at The Palm Court Hotel in Ilfracombe. On arrival, check in was easy. After settling into our rooms, we were given a hot cup of tea in the ballroom to welcome us. This was a nice gesture, as was the free glass of cocktail on the Saturday night and the Devon cream tea on the Saturday afternoon. The staff work very hard in order to please the guests staying at The Palm Court Hotel. The level of service at this hotel and the willingness and friendliness of the staff from Reception to the dining room to the bar was second to none. They are superb, and an absolute credit to the hotel.
There is no doubt that the hotel needs a make over in general, and infact, it seems that they are starting a programme of refurbishment in the public areas downstairs already. Both the conservatory is being refurbished and the lounge looks as if it has had work done to it aswell with fresh paint and new seating. It is a fairly large hotel so a programme of refurbishment obviously can't take place overnight, but they have made a start.
My bedroom was clean and comfortable. There were clean towels left every day and the bed linen was crisp white which was great. There was also a chocolate mint left on top of the towels on the bed on arrival which i thought was nice. There was also a bar of soap aswell. There was a small portable television in the room which had a very good picture quality and was more than adequate. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room aswell with plenty of teabags and coffee sachets and milk. There were no biscuits though, which is a shame, as i think they are always a welcome treat. The bedroom was cold on arrival but once the heating came on, which seemed to be at certain times each day, the bedroom became comfortably warm, so there were no real problems there. The bathroom was very small, but it was kept clean. The door into the bathroom was a sliding door, as there would have been no room for a door that opened inwards. The door in my opinion needs some attention. One side had been stained with some kind of varnish as had the frame, but the actual side facing the bathroom had not been stained and had remnants of where the varnish had come off the frame onto the door. If this side was varnished too, it would look ok. The handles on the bathroom door were half moon shaped. The handle on the outside of the bathroom door was secure, but the one on the inside was hanging down and only being held by one screw. To be fair, these things with the door were not major problems, but little things that if fixed, would look better. Certain parts of the hotel in general were colder than other parts, but after all, we are talking of an old building. The ballroom could be cold but they had a heater in there which after a short while warmed the room up.
The restaurant was vey nice. The quality of the food that was served was excellent. Traditional food at its best i would say. All the food was served fresh and hot. The roast dinners i had during my stay were very tasty, as were the starters and desserts. The service in the dining room was superb. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff. The breakfast was help yourself. Plenty of choice from fruit juices to cereals to hot food. The fried breakfast was really nice and certainly set me up for the day ahead. You definately wouldn't go hungry at this hotel!!
Entertainment at the hotel on the Friday night was a gentleman singing Country and Western and Sixties hits. He was excellent and everyone in the crowd was enjoying him and singing along. I was not so keen on the entertainment on Saturday night. It was an organist and it really wasn't my cup of tea, so i didn't watch much of it. We had a great time on Sunday evening when we had bingo, a raffle and a quiz. The bingo was good fun and the bingo caller, who was also one of the bar men, made us all laugh. We had a good time doing the quiz too.
All in all, i enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It was clean and comfortable with excellent food and superb staff. For the price i paid for the holiday i feel i had good value for money and i couldn't have asked for much more than that.
Well done to all the staff at The Palm Court. Keep up the excellent service an thankyou for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Coachholidayfan
Lichfield
Reviewed 14 December 2010

This hotel is still in the 1970's. The room was FREEZING cold with a small radiator and depressing with a tiny portable tv standing on a low table. The bathrooms have no heating and are like the bedrooms in need a major make over.
The food was not too bad, we was offered cream teas in a serviette with the waiter licking his finger on handing out each one, so I gave them a miss. I only hope this does not go on in the kitchens!
I was with my mother & farther who have to use the lift but there is only one lift for quite a lot of elderly guests they had to wait a long time until they got to the front of the lift queue.
On a good note though the staff was friendly
I was so happy to get home.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank stephanie-jayne70
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Palm Court Hotel and found it to be very comfortable, clean and friendly. The staff, right down from the owners wife were polite, efficent and at all times helpful. The food was very tasteful and filling, wonderful.
We had a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to our next visit. Many thanks

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple