All reviews fridge and microwave vending machine breakfast was excellent friendly young man lovely hotel poached eggs would stay again recommend this hotel kippers two double beds big room good size stayed for one night warm welcome limited parking no lift great room
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I called hoping for a last minute booking, Micheal was so friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and so clean! It was nice to have the small kitchenette area as I didn't particularly feel like eating out, this came in handy! Breakfast was lovely and all the staff so helpful nothing was to much trouble. Would definitely recommend and will be coming back when in the area.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2017

I really cannot give York House more than two stars even though there are positives.
The breakfast was fantastic and a definite 5 star - really good quality produce - the bacon was delicious. Our room was spotless - I do think I could have done a 'four in a bed' style inspection and not found fault.
So why a measly 2 star? We were in room 14 which is up on the third floor - the stairs are incredibly steep but we are fit and healthy enough for that not to be a problem; however, the banister is literally hanging off - a total death trap. I cannot believe this hasn't been addressed as an immediate priority - so dangerous.
Our room was well-decorated but tiny. I had looked on the website and the rooms appeared spacious. We weren't looking for football pitch sized but as we only had an overnight bag, it was quite incredible how hemmed in we were. Bizarrely, there was a full-sized fridge and microwave in the room which took up a lot of much needed space.

We could have coped with this without problem despite the ludicrous £115.00 price point but the safety aspect totally negated our goodwill. This area of Whitley Bay is hardly salubrious - most of it's boarded-up but as they were fully booked it obviously is not a problem.
The shower did not work - piping cold. I valiantly battled for 15 mins to get it to heat up but to no avail. I had to dunk my hair in the sink to wash it. I found this particularly infuriating as I have to wash my hair every morning. Who wants that for £115.00?
We had stayed with family the night before and had travelled to Whitley Bay for a special family anniversary. We thought we'd do a second night there so we could do our own thing therefore booked the York House Hotel - money wasted.

I am going to nitpick a bit here - at breakfast we were given some toast that another table had ordered. The poor guy waiting forever looked like he was going to chew his arm off. I called the waiter over and told him it wasn't ours (toastgate) so he removed it - went round the corner then came back out with the same toast and gave it to the starving guest. Luckily, we hadn't coughed, spat or breathed all over it. the waiters sleight of hand was very much noticed by us.

There seemed to be a very nice clientele staying - I can only imagine they weren't on the third floor. I would never stay here again - if they don't care about a wobbly banister, what else don't they care about?

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017

This hotel is really nice the staff are helpful it is in a quiet location but just a short stroll to the beach front (under regeneration ) we stayed b/b and I must say the breakfast was the best I've had in a very long time service was quick and the man (didn't get his name) who was taking orders was really sociable and chatty.If I ever went back to Whitley bay I would definitely stay here again

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

As a family we stayed at the hotel taking up 5 rooms. We were visiting for a family Christening on Sunday 14th May so stayed 1 night on the 13th. The hotel itself is lovely, all of our rooms were great, large and spotlessly clean. The staff were lovely and couldn't do enough to help.
The breakfast was to die for offering continental, cereals fruit and yogurts to full cooked breakfasts, actually I think they would have made anything. My son asked for a 10 egg white omelette and they served it no problem.
They even accommodated us with late checkouts which was very much appreciated.
Anyone of thinking of staying here just go ahead you won't be disappointed.
Thank you to all who made our stay a good one.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Very impressed by this small hotel. Staff friendly and welcoming. Can't fault it. Ticks a few boxes when away from home. A fairly quiet location, with a short walk to the seafront or town centre amenities. The hotel decor is luxurious throughout with a few homely touches. Breakfast gets a 10 out 10. Not often do you find a well cooked vegetarian breakfast to order. I hope to come back. Excellent value for money.

Date of stay: May 2017