“Coffee, Kindness and Community”
Review of Cup of Joy

Cup of Joy
Ranked #79 of 168 Restaurants in Whitley Bay
Price range: US$ 2 - US$ 9
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Over the years I have visited this coffee shop under its many previous owners, names, and changes of décor.
It has changed hands several times and because of its location, has always been a handy place to meet and eat.
But the new owners have in my experience achieved more than all the previous owners. Cup of Joy is not only a great name for this lovely café, because of the great selection of beverages and lovely food they serve, but because they do it so with a lot of kindness and care.
It is the little touches that make the difference, the way they greet you, and if you order a hot drink you get a little biscuit on the side. The décor is a mix of country and vintage with no table or chair the same. They have sofas, soft backed chairs, wooden cottage seating and the way it is organised enables you to feel comfortable always.

The menu is varied and home cooked and the quality of the food is excellent and freshly made to order. My mum especially likes the fact they have music playing in the background, and if Elvis comes on it makes her day.

There is a little step up into the café, but there is always a helping hand to those with mobility equipment or prams to gain access. I have seen someone in a wheelchair in the café, but if it was a larger chair or an electric wheelchair, getting through the door and up the step may be more difficult.

I try to come in at least once a week and do so because I know I can feel relaxed and at ease and get a lovely meal cooked with care. Just watching and experiencing how kind the staff are to their customers, refreshes my soul. A true community café.

2  Thank lou667

Reviewed 18 February 2018

This was recommended as "a good place for a coffee and a sticky bun". We were in Whitley Bay to pick up tickets so decided to call in and check the menu and prices. We only had a cup of coffee each (it was too early for a meal - said my husband!!!) but were impressed with the pies, cakes and the choice of breakfast. My husband was very impressed with how clean the place was - especially the toilets! We will be back,

1  Thank Vashtismam
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

Love this place! Have been few times now and I am never disappointed. I go in with my 3 year old and the child portions are plentiful and there isn't a scrap left on the plate. I am pregnant and often ask for bizarre combinations and it is no trouble ;) very friendly staff and feel totally welcome everytime. Child friendly and very good value for money! Will continue to dine here.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

In this case for lunch. We ate here on a bright but chilly day. It was a lovely and warm surprise. My cooked breakfast was one of the best I’d ever had and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Been here 4 times whilst visiting family over the Xmas period. Very welcoming, nice food and delicious coffee