“Pretty pricey, but superb food”
Review of Ale and Oyster

Ale and Oyster
Ranked #9 of 69 Restaurants in Ventnor
Price range: US$ 59 - US$ 157
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bar/ fine dining restaurant in the evening on Ventnor seafront overlooking the sun, sea and sand! Spectacular views coupled with quality dining, relaxing atmosphere and friendly staff
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Like many restaurants in Ventnor, if you're visiting from London you'll be surprised to see £25 mains are pretty much the norm. But happy to report that we had no regrets dining here - the staff were lovely and very attentive, and our mains (trio of pork) were spectacular. I had the mushroom risotto to start which was pretty bland, but entirely serviceable - my wife had the scallops which were vastly superior, as you'd expect!

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

The food really is nothing short of perfection. The actual restaurant itself is eloquent and cleanly decorated. The hosts are friendly and accommodating.
If you have never tried an oyster, here is your chance. Honestly, they are amazing.
I really cannot recommend this restaurant more highly. Prices are not the cheapest but you really do have a one off experience of beautifully cooked food over looking the ocean with first class service.

2  Thank nickychargreaves
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Our son and his girlfriend had recommended this restaurant, having enjoyed a "superb dinner" here, so, upon visiting the IOW, we had to experience the A&O.
They weren't wrong. We had reserved a table 24 hours earlier and were greeted warmly and shown to a lovely window table, overlooking the sea.
Our waitress took the drinks order and Sean, one of the owners, took us through the menu, clarifying which was the catch of the day and providing useful information about various other dishes.
I felt more excited by this limited, well-constructed menu than I have any, for a long time.
We ordered ... and every dish and wine was superb. I can particularly recommend the crab linguine starter. I had a larger portion of the wild mushroom risotto starter, as a main course.
The waiter was attentive, but not intrusive. Every dish was superb.
The wine was well-kept and the recommendations suited the dishes.
Over about two hours, we had a hugely treatful experience and will make a beeline for the Ale and Oyster next time we visit the Island.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

I highly recommend having dinner here. Very friendly and welcoming staff, they even book you a taxi home when you need one :D The food is cooked to perfection and is exquisitely delicious and you are given complimentary treats. The price is really reasonable too. A must go to place by anyone.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

As we entered the restaurant to look for a table we seen a Genteman sweeping the floor and one behind the bar so we decided to stand and wait for someone to acknowledge us as we where not to sure about the setting but no one did so my friends said we will just go outside and get a table, I walk over to the bar to ask for a Menu, not once did any of the guys say hello to us or a welcome to the restaurant. I went back to the bar to order some Oyster and wine only to be told they don't have OYSTER ?? so I just ordered some wine. Very shock about the poor Service we received and more shock after hearing the too Gentleman where the owners and they are recommended by the Michelin star guide.If we do every return to the Isle of Wight we will deafly not be returning to this restaurant

2  Thank canary2017
Foodforthought5456, Owner at Ale and Oyster, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

I am very shocked in reading this review, I will agree that myself (Sean Owner) was sweeping the floor as we always do between lunch service and evening service (12-2:30 & evening service 6-9) as you stated "you were ignored". This can NOT be true as you would of had to ask for a lunch menu as these were taken from the table at 2:30. We do not offer any food from the kitchen as the chefs are not on the premises. We do not and never have served food between these times. To say you were ignored cannot be true as we pride ourselves in welcoming customers. As you can see from are previous trips. I'm glad you mentioned the Michelin guide as we pride oursleves in giving the best service and quality we can delivery.
I feel this is a unfair and unjust trip and quite frankly untrue and misleading.
I see you have only written two TripAdvisor's, both of which are 1 star ratings And both are about business on the Isle of Wight.
To say the least to give us a 1 star TripAdvisor for a bottle of wine is unreasonable and not experiencing the food side of our restaurant.

If you would like to discuss this any further please contact the restaurant

Kind regards