“Excellent value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Staffordshire
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

I booked this hotel as a special offer which included accommodation and ferry crossing. Alan the owner asked me my preferred sailling times and within the hour he had e-mailed the ferry tickets. All we had to do was turn up. Brilliant! The hotel is very clean. We were given a good size double room with en-suite shower; again very clean. The staff were friendly and most helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
The hotel overlooks the sea and is only a few yards from the cliff lift which is ideal for anyone with walking difficulties. There is off road parking available.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StaffordshireNewsman
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

It's not a full service hotel, or a decent B&B. It's the weird step sister of both. The room I was in was small and clean but the bed smelled of urine. Cleaning woke me up each day so much for sleeping in past 10. One thing that really, really bothered me was that I stayed for dinner one night and although the dining room was almost empty I wasn't able to pick my table. The waitress/cleaning lady told me to sit in the back, as I left she added that that I was to sit in the same table for breakfast the next day. I've NEVER had assigned seating in my life. The food was tasty but I got really sick and therefore avoided eating there again. The location was gorgeous but Shanklin is such a tiny town you are within 5-10 minute walking distance of everything anywhere you decide to stay. I would never stay here again.. There's a hotel that's much nicer right next to this place called the Ocean View hotel, when I got back I'll probably stay there. The owners of The Harrow are polite and will point you in the right direction but not overly friendly. The whole experience with the hotel was kinda BLAH.. and Shanklin for the most part is a retirement community. If you are going on holiday maybe Ryde or New Port are better options. The hotel is pet friendly so expect to get barked at as you walk back to your room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ehoss
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I spent 2 nights with family. I was given the family room next to the dining room. Contrary to the other review, I did not have any problem with the room. through the windowThe room was clean, spacious and had all listed facilities. I could also see the early morning sun. If you like to sleep till late you would be bothered by the slight noise of people coming down for breakfast. But why would you sleep till 8:30 am in such a beautiful place!!
Hotel has a dedicated car park.
Location is perfect. On the edge of the cliff, right next to the beach. Watch sunrise from the room balcony, if you are lucky enough to get a sea-view room, else come out of the hotel and stand on the cliff-edge overlooking the beach. The steps down to the beach are not many, and the 'Cliff-Lift' is close by. Walking distance from chine and old village.
Overall, a decent hotel for the price (I had the deal with car ferry tickets). It *is* a 2-star hotel, clean and tidy, with good, friendly service from the owners and staff.
The only minor glitch - the breakfast service was inconsistent - one day quick (when Lynn was serving) and the other day we had to wait 15-20 minutes before we were served (some other staff member was serving).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ankurg75
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Had a great 4 days Liked it so much I booked another two days, Alan is so friendly as is Lyne in fact all the staff employed there make you feel at home.
I cannot keep a dog where I live in London so it was great to see residents and visitors with their dogs welcome especially two dog Terry who owns two lovely terriers and is a very likable character and very knowledgeable of the world.
They have a fantastic veranda that faces the sea and the morning sunrise it is sheer bliss just to sit there and sip a shandy or whatever turns you on it is very cheap as well as a I went to a lot of pubs in and around Shanklin Sandown Ventnor and the Harrow lodge came out as the cheapest, it is also open to non residents.
I have already recommended it to two newly weds for next year, that's how much I liked it.
by the way I smoke and had 5 nights their and slept like a log never even thought about cigarettes, and that's a result for me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank michael b
Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Lynn, Alan and the other staff made us feel very welcome and made it into a friendly atmosphere. We went to the Harrow lodge as a family of 3 (teenage daughter) and this hotel is definitely worth more than 2 stars. We had an absolutely fantastic time whilst we stayed there and made a whole load of new friends and meet different couples. Our daughter made a few friends whilst we stayed there which made her enjoy her holiday even more here at the Harrow Lodge. The food in the restaurant was absolutely outstanding with options at Breakfast (which was served between 8.30am and 9.30am) and the evening meal was 3 courses and was all home made cooking . I would definitely recommend this hotel. We have booked to go back to the Harrow Lodge again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ROGER C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
0.2 km away
0.4 km away
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#4 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to The Harrow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK