St Georges House
US$ 131
US$ 93
US$ 166
US$ 150
The Channel View Hotel(Shanklin)
US$ 146
US$ 104
US$ 101
Priceline
US$ 146
All reviewsrecommend stbottled waterhomemade dessertslovely soft towelsold villagecomfortable roomlittle extra touchesfull englishisle of wighttea coffee facilitiesstayed here for nightsreceived a warm welcomebreakfast each morningconvenient locationtown centrelonger stayguest lounge
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at the St. George's House Hotel in Shanklin for 3 nights from 1 July to 4 July. The hotel has a cozy feel and a personal touch from the owners. From the moment we walked in, we felt very comfortable and relaxed. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The hotel is conveniently located about 2 blocks easy walk from the beach and Shanklin Esplanade.

In the other direction is the Old Village of Shanklin, which has a number of small shops and good restaurants. Several of the restaurants have live music Thursday through Friday and fun atmosphere. We visited several towns on the east side of the IOW and were most impressed with Shanklin.

The full English breakfast was made to order each morning and was very good. I am still getting used to the English breakfasts (ie. the mushrooms, tomatoes, beans), and I have to say this was the best eggs, mushrooms, sausage, tomatoes I have had to-date. A special treat for me was brewed, filtered coffee!

The only drawback was the firmness of the beds which were to say the least firm.

Overall, we thought a nice hotel, with good breakfasts, conveniently located place to enjoy the IOW.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2011

we were met and made very welcome
first impressions of room were very good
we asked for a bath if possible and one was made available
room was a nice size with 2 easy chairs
normal teamaking and bathroom bits and pieces provided
also free bottlesof mineral water that was changed every day
the bathroom was small but ok
in the bedroom there was quite a lot of dust on botom of units and also on trouser press it was obvious these hadnt been dusted for quite a time because it was quite thick
also cobwebbs on light and around ceiling a bit disapointing
the plus points were a suberb breakfast i had full english a couple of days and kippers one day excellent quality food and well cooked and presented
the owners were very friendly

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2011

St.George House Hotel - Shanklin

::The Good:

1) Breakfast was good. (Bacon, Sausages, fried eggs etc)

::The Not so Good::

1) I think this place is more suitable for whites. Me being an Indian, found the owner to be a bit abrupt in answering questions & rude.

2) Very dusty family room. The first night we were all sneezing and could not get a good sleep. The next day on talking to the owner he was quite rude and bluntly told me - "I am sorry I can't do anything about it. The room is cleaned everyday". There was obvisouly an issue here and instead of trying to help us he just bluntly told he could do nothing about it.

3) Although free internet is advertised we could not get any internet connection. The owner did give me the passcode to connect but on connecting it said clearly that I had connection to the router but the router had no or very limited internet access.

4) Even though a ground floor room (due to small kids) was booked, on reaching we got a first floor room. On asking why this was the case he said - "We are fully booked and absolutely no rooms left". The funny bit was outside the hotel the sign clearly said there were "Vacancies" till the day we left.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TTS777
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My wife, two teenage children and I stayed for three nights during the hottest April week this year. We were met by Mick, who made us feel welcome and gave us some excellent suggestions for restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

The room (we shared a family room) was fine - the kids are still at an age where bunk-beds are a novelty - and it was spacious and clean. The ensuite facilities were fine and the place was decorated to a good standard. It became a welcome retreat and we felt pleased that we had been lucky enough to find it online.

Criticisms? Only two minor ones really, the first of which is really not St George's fault... because it was such a hot week, we had to keep the windows open all night which meant we were kept 'amused' by the noise at kicking out time from the pub across the way. To be fair, there wasn't a great deal of noise and it didn't go on for long.

The other *minor* criticism was that breakfast started at 8.30am. Because I had meetings starting at 10am on the other side of the island, by the time we had ordered, been served, eaten and tidied up, it all felt a bit rushed. Which is a shame because the breakfasts were fantastic and something St. Georges are rightly proud of. But I stress, this is a *minor* issue and is only here for some balance to the review.

We tried several of Micks suggestions for food, which were spot on and which meant we could have a drink and walk home. We also had a look along the cliffs (the views were superb) which are about five minutes gentle walk away and which have a lift for the less abled.

I would thoroughly recommend St. Georges's. It is well located, easy to access (with off-road parking), clean and hospitable. We didn't get to meet Jan (?), but Mick was affable and welcoming. Thanks to both of you!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ego_Scritis
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Well after using the St Georges as a great base for my Bestival visits I decided to give the island a try for a nice walking weekend. The welcome offered by Jan & Mick was as warm as ever and the hotel provided me with a superb base for my walking weekend. I had a great nights sleep in a very clean & comfortable room. The breakfast was as hearty as I remembered and certainly set me up for the day. The location really makes it though, seconds from the coastal path and only a few minutes walk from the railway station. Thanks again to Jan & Mick for all your tips and hospitality, I will be returning!

• Stayed: March 2011