“Disgraceful. Will NEVER return ”
Review of Red Door Bistro

Red Door Bistro
Ranked #10 of 447 Restaurants in Wigan
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Small intimate award winning restaurant serving local fresh produce. Daily changing menu. Special offers
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

10 of us visited this restaurant to celebrate a birthday and it was not a pleasant experience from start to finish.
We went on a Saturday and only actually phoned to book on the Thursday. They asked for no deposit initially. My sister then phoned on the Friday to ask could we change the time of the booking from 7 to 7:30 at which point it was made clear that they were very un-happy with this and my sister actually felt like they were acting as if they were doing us a massive favour by allowing this.
My mum then phoned to just confirm everything was ok with the booking, I think on either the Friday night or it might have even been on the Saturday morning. Strangely it was only at this point that they then asked for a £10 per person deposit to secure the booking which was very in-convenient and also made no sense as we were phoning THEM to confirm we were coming and why on earth didn’t they ask for this in the first place?!
I arrived a little bit later than the rest with 2 members of our party, we sat down and was ignored for some time and ended up having to wave to get the attention of the waitress to order our drinks. The waitress came, took our orders and did bit look up from her notepad or smile and just walked off. The service through out the whole night was similar to this.we honestly felt like they didn’t want us there and that we was an in-convenience to them.
Me and my mum ordered a goats cheese bruschetta starter which was quite nice but we had to ask for extra goats cheese there was very little, my mum couldn’t find any in hers and was digging around in her lettuce leaves trying to find it, but they brought us some extra so that was fair enough. The food overall was ok but no one said that it was amazing to be honest. 2 people had ribs and said they were a bit bland, my dad had a steak and left half of it because it was too tough.
The reason I’m giving this a one star is more to do with the service. When the bill came, they’d charged us an extra £10 because one person out of our party cancelled very last minute so this was the deposit. Now I know that this is the whole point of a deposit, they explained that it was non-refundable but when 10 people have eaten in your restaurant, all had a starter and a main, ordered bottles of wine and lots of drinks and the bill cane to over £200 wouldn’t you think they would jet us off with £10?! We argued this to them but they was adamant that we were paying that £10. We honestly couldn’t believe it. I still can’t believe it now.
So well done, you’ve angered 10 people who will now, not only, never return to your restaurant but will also probably tell their friends about this and your waitresses received no tips (not that I think they would’ve got much anyway based on their un-friendly attitude). I hope the £10 was worth it!!!!
I look forward to your snotty reply.

1  Thank Alanna M
Reddoorbistrowigan1, Owner at Red Door Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Dear Alanna,
Thank you for your feedback.
Lynne called to make a booking on Wednesday evening. The only table we had available was at 7pm due to a last minute cancellation. This was booked and as this was a party of over 6 I confirmed, as we do for all bookings of 6 or more,a deposit was required for the 11 guests. Approximately 10 minutes later a lady called and spoke to our waitress to change the booking to 7.30. We did explain that we only had 7 pm available as we had other tables booked in for 7.30 which may cause a delay in your table being served, but if they didn't mind a delay 730 was fine.
A phone call was made to the restaurant to make payment of a deposit and to confirm the table with numbers.
Unfortunately 1 guest was unable to attend on your evening. We where not made aware of this until your party arrived which at this point we where unable to offer the table to another booking.
We did not add an additional £10 to your bill. A total of £100 from your £110 was deducted from your bill for your 10 guests deposits.
When the bill was given the issue of the £10 was raised by the majority of your table finding it "disgusting " that we had not given the non refundable deposit of £10 back as you had spent £250. As you can imagine we where taken aback by thiis, like you mentioned in your review you where well aware that it was non refundable.
If we would of had prior notice that a guest was not able to attend we would of most certainly applied all the deposit to your bill. Unfortunatly this was not the case so a table of 2 was left vacant all evening at a cost to the restaurant.
I am truly sorry to read you will not be returning to our restaurant.
After speaking to Lynne and Dave at the table myself, everyone seemed to be in good spirits. Our manager who waited on your table said there where no complaints and everything was good all round apart from the goats cheese which we rectified.
I did try to contact you (telephone number left for the booking)and left a message on Saturday night but as of yet We have had no reply.
if you wish to discuss this matter further Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards
Jayne

Reviewed 5 February 2018

This was amazing little find in Wigan and we will certainly be back!

What a wonderful little restaurant that we were delighted to enjoy this past Saturday, they managed to fit us in as a last minute booking and what a lovely experience we enjoyed here in this family run gem of a place. The drinks selection was great, the food menu even better! We had such flavoursome starters, followed by some mind blowing mains, and sweet treats to complete this highly memorable experience.

Amy, daughter of the chef, is a wonderful waitress who is friendly and very polite, a real asset to the Red Door Bistro. I didn't get to meet the chef, but I would one day like to meet Mrs Red Door Bistro and thank her for her amazing cooking!

Overall, I can't fault this little treat of Wigan. If business doesn't take me back to Wigan then I will be there just to dine again in Red Door Bistro.

3  Thank LeighBR
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Omg what a hidden place and not one to be missed... put a post on Facebook wanting a nice place to eat for our 21st anniversary and red door came up .. lived I wigan all my life and never heard of this little place... so we went tonight and omg what a lovely place .. Food was amazing for little money staff was superb and so friendly. When we spoke to the staff I was surprised the place had been open 7 years and we had never heard of it... this restaurant needs to be put on the map best food we have had in a long time.... our new local from now on...... Please try this place you will not regret it xx

1  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

Visited here with family on Christmas Eve, normally don't allow children to dine here however as we had a table booked for 6pm they accommodated our booking. There was one other table in when we arrived unfortunately the service was a little slow but we assumed that all dishes were cooked to order and this was the reason. When the food arrived it was faultless. We will definitely be returning absolutely brilliant.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

We went here for lunch as Wigan has very few decent places to eat and we had seen a few very good reviews.

Went in after we found the place, a little hidden away. It was after one and nobody was in except staff, this is always a bit worrying.

We were seated quickly and a drinks order taken, given a menu and a specials board also fetched. We didn't know what to go for as even though it wasn't a massive menu, it all sounded good.

We had a Christmas dinner and a beef bourguignon, both excellent, the veg was just right and so tasty, everything was delicious. The wine I had with this was a tempranillo, went well with the beef but was a very pleasant wine, wish I knew where to get some.

Dessert was also fantastic salted caramel profiteroles, could have eaten them again, and again.

A brilliant find, great staff, excellent food and a good wine list, will be back and also recommend to friends.

Been there 7 years and we had not heard of it until now